Tops from the other side of the aisle

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by Orange Apple »

JeffB1959 wrote: Well done! You look nice. For whatever it's worth, I don't bother with hosiery during spring and summer since things get steamy and humid in my neck of the woods. And while I hate to boast, I've never had to shave my legs as they remain perpetually smooth.
I wear skirts to be comfortable, and because I want to shatter the societal rule against men wearing them.

I don't shave my legs because that feels like caving in to the fashion whims that rule the lives of so many women. Anyway I have so little hair that it's not visible.

My "comfort" justification has, so far, been predicated on being cool on hot days. Wearing hosiery when it's hot would defeat this goal. I have not yet worn a skirt during cold weather, but the same comfort considerations that keep me from wearing anything on my legs in the heat may reverse when the weather turns cold. We'll see.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:Well done! You look nice.
Thanks Jeff! That means a lot coming from someone who is quite good at putting together a look.
Orange Apple wrote:I don't shave my legs because that feels like caving in to the fashion whims that rule the lives of so many women. Anyway I have so little hair that it's not visible.
I didn't either when I first started, but after a few months, I tried it and loved the feel of smooth legs. As a man, when I wear skirts, blouses, dresses, and even shave my legs or paint my nails I feel I am most definitely sticking it to the "fashion rules" of society. After all, those rules state "men shall not wear women's clothes".... (it actually says that :lol: :roll: )

A man who goes out in "women's" clothes is hardly "caving". No... when I wear trousers to moms.... THAT'S caving!

When Dennis or Tom slips out of their skirts when the old lady comes around... THAT'S caving... (no offense guys... but it is...)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

moonshadow wrote: I didn't either when I first started, but after a few months, I tried it and loved the feel of smooth legs. As a man, when I wear skirts, blouses, dresses, and even shave my legs or paint my nails I feel I am most definitely sticking it to the "fashion rules" of society. After all, those rules state "men shall not wear women's clothes".... (it actually says that :lol: :roll: )
Good point. I hadn't thought about it that way.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Thanks for your response Moon. On some folks its really hard to tell if they are wearing or not. I usually do as I have a varicose vein on one leg that has never caused any problem and I wear support hose to keep that problem at bay. I have never really noticed any difference in how hot I am wearing or not wear hose, it's all the same to me as I am simply used to it I guess. At any rate keep up the good work and promotion of fashion freedom.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I wear tops from the other side of the aisle but to cater for my personal preference. Three quarter or full length sleeves. No low cut neck line. Sorry, no pink, I do not like the colour, and not a flowery design. Buttoned or no buttoned, collar or no collar doesn't bother me. All the photos as shown in the gallery of my site are from this side of the aisle. Plain or light patterned with patterned skirts, or patterned tops with plain skirts.

I also wear tops from the opposite side of the aisle to the side this thread is about, but not as frequent.

Am I bothered I take from the other side of the aisle - no.

Whatever I have on, if some one does want to let me know they have an issue with what I have on it is only the skirt, not the top, cardigan scarf but then that is my perception because no one has ever said anything to me directly, yes a laugh, a giggle, pointing of finger even a comment loud enough to hear but not at me. Positive comments reflect the whole outfit.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

All my women's tops are solid colors (including pink which is a fun color to wear) while I've been experimenting of late with patterned skirts.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

About the color "Pink", I will say this - I have a "Pink" semi-dress
shirt and have worn a metallic purple/lavender tie with it. This
is under a grey/blue small checked sports coat. Wife loves the
outfit. I've worn it with a solid black A-Line skirt - she still loves it :D

It depends on what colors you're adding/matching to each other
that makes or breaks an outfit.

That's my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't mind pink. My only issue is it's such a popular color now, I don't like coming off as "trendy" :P But I'd wear it if the style was something I found agreeable.

I've got a pinkish blouse I wore once with a white tiered skirt at the store. It was back when I had longer hair and I pushed it back with a big white head band.

I thought the teens at the store were going to fall over laughing. I just laughed back! :lol:

Girls who laugh at me while they're wearing trousers I find hilarious! The ditzy bimbo meter is off the scale! :lol: :lol: :lol: What a bunch of dumbasses! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Dinoco

Post by Dinoco »

If you don't mind my asking, do you shave your chest hair? I've wanted to try some women's tops but my chest hair runs all the way up to my neck and (at least to me) looks pretty hideous when too much of it is visible.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

JeffB1959 wrote:All my women's tops are solid colors (including pink which is a fun color to wear) while I've been experimenting of late with patterned skirts.
Yes I prefer solid colors also!
Wearing tartan kilts and patterned skirts they function well - wearing color designs with a tartan pattern is a recipe for odd looks.
Who did your dressing today ? Hummm very interesting !
Solid colors are so easy to work with. Now I would consider wearing a pattern or variable design top with a solid color kilt or skirt that is easy too !
But one should be careful to not imitate a court jester unless being a fool is the sort of presentation you like to experience absent a Mardi Gras or Halloween costume !
You can stretched the limits of your wardrobe sense and balance mixing and matching Pinks pastels and white and light colors to closely resemble or
highlight the feminine side but with careful application expound the masculine exposure as well.

The only critical aspect in my wardrobe is the neck line and the design of the placket and then too the length of the top related to what is worn as a bottom.
Does it require to be tucked in and will it become untucked bending over reaching for something.
As for the sleeves that is a bridge I cross when selecting my gear - is a jacket to be worn etc. coverage ?

Due to skin problems I don't have enough hair or fiber to contend with - once a month and a light one pass with a multi-blade shaver and be gone hair.
So there is no turn off here as would happen with a hairy beast wearing a lacy frilly pink top with pearlescent buttons ! Oh my Lions Tigers and Bears !

JeffB1959 certainly has a well balanced wardrobe and does it up perfect an excellent example for an aspiring across the aisle wearer !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dinoco wrote:If you don't mind my asking, do you shave your chest hair? I've wanted to try some women's tops but my chest hair runs all the way up to my neck and (at least to me) looks pretty hideous when too much of it is visible.
As for me, I don't have very thick chest hair, a stray tuft here and there, most is on my belly. I shave it all along with my legs about once every two to three days. Nothing, aside from a strand or two per square inch reaches up to my neck. That being said, if I were a "bear", and I wanted to wear a women's top, especially something like a scoop neck, or anything that showed skin around the chest area, I'd definitely shave the area regularly.
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I normally shave my legs and chest as well as my stomach. :D I use a multi-blade razor and in between I use an electric for touch ups. :) I just wish I could reach and be able to shave my back. :doh:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Franinskirts wrote:I normally shave my legs and chest as well as my stomach. :D I use a multi-blade razor and in between I use an electric for touch ups. :) I just wish I could reach and be able to shave my back. :doh:

Fred :kiltdance:
Have to have an inventive spirit - take the multi blade razor and attach it to a back scratcher or ruler by glue tape or other means and you would now be able
to reach around and get those hard to get areas.
With a long handle eliminates the contortionist moves to reach difficult places but care must be taken anytime using a razor device.
A temporary measure with Nair or other chemical depilatory and showering it off or use a looffa mitt. It can be done solo.
For first time experimenters plan to spend some time and have a mirror to see around to the back have a barbers electric hair cutting device to thin
the stubble to make the use of the face shaving shaver easier and practical.
May need a machete to trim the forest down to size and the final trim with a pruning trimming device - get the idea - gradual steps of hair reduction.
Of course if you have a mate or a spa service that makes is real easy.
May not require constant maintenance but a touch up will be needed from time to time - damn that stuff grows back !

Having a hairless body is an amazing exhilarating feeling - try it you may like it a lot.
Only adverse affect is altering the way the body perspires and controlling the sweaty odors.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I enjoy having a hairy body and am not ashamed about it. When I wear shirts with low necklines it's obvious, and that's fine. I also go without a shirt when that's acceptable. I'd rather spend my time reading skirtcafe than spend the time shaving.

Edit: Well, actually the neckline has to be very low before my hairy chest is obvious. I have a full beard.
Last edited by Jim on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just bought and tried on my first top from the other side. Just a simple white dress shirt. It is amazing how much better a skirt looks with a shirt that is made for skirts.