Tops from the other side of the aisle

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by crfriend »

That top could "go" with quite a few colours for skirts, but I'd try to keep the skirt a solid. The thought I immediately had was to pair it off with a light blue (almost an aquamarine) skirt to pick the blue splash. Other neutrals (black, beige, brown) would work well, as, I suspect, would white (although white is a bugbear to keep clean).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

moonshadow wrote:[
It is a somewhat difficult top to match to anything I currently own. But all the same, is a kick ass top and I love wearing it.
My project today is to find a skirt that matches a top that I bought last week, and to find a top that matches a skirt that I bought last week.

The top is a pretty busy print (but I just had to have it; it feels as good as it looks) so I am thinking that something plain is what would pair well with it. It has some interesting brown and pinkish tones, so it will be difficult to match.

The skirt is also a busy print, but is black and white with a geometric design. Thus my desire not to wear these two pieces of clothing together. I think the skirt may be pretty easy to match; I have a black polo that goes with it pretty well so something a little more upscale in a dark color will probably work. It can even be relatively boring because the skirt really pops.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Orange Apple wrote:
moonshadow wrote:It is a somewhat difficult top to match to anything I currently own. But all the same, is a kick ass top and I love wearing it.
My project today is to find a skirt that matches a top that I bought last week, and to find a top that matches a skirt that I bought last week.

The top is a pretty busy print [... with] some interesting brown and pinkish tones, so it will be difficult to match.

The skirt is also a busy print, but is black and white with a geometric design. [...]
The black and white print skirt will be the easiest as those are "go with everything colours". The top may be a harder match to make.

My suggestion would involve red, potentially for both, and also potentially yield a new third outfit. Vivid red always looks good with black and white, and possibly a red skirt might "go" with the pinkish tones in the blouse.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

moonshadow wrote:Anyway... here's today's rig (temporary as I have to run a call in Galax as soon as I log off here)
I purchased this top at GoodWill, it's a very loud floral top with a tan/purplish color scheme. At first I paired it with a plain Jane "granny" purple skirt that came to the calfs….
Just curious, Moon, who was the manufacturer for the top? Thanks...
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Just curious, Moon, who was the manufacturer for the top? Thanks...
Unfortunately, that tag has been removed by someone. I can still see the end of it where it was cut. The only tag that remains is on the lower left side and it's just care instructions.

But it does say it was MADE IN USA... hmmm... Didn't think the U.S. still made clothing... really got my curiosity up as to the manufacturer now. :!:

And NOW....... I have tried on the top mentioned with two different skirts, following Jeff and Carl's advice.

Here is the result...
2.jpg
This was my original selection the other day (above). It's the purple "granny" skirt I was telling you all about. At first I didn't like it, but I have to admit, when photographed it does seem better. A part of me still things the top is still to busy for the bottom. *shurgs*... maybe I was just in a "loud" mood that day? :P

Finally to try Carl's idea:
1.jpg
I actually like this look pretty good. I don't have a "plain" white skirt (as in no designs, etc) This one is a tiered skirt from Dress Barn (purchased at GoodWill) I've worn it before. I must say, this is probably my favorite of the two, however as Carl stated, this would be a bear to keep clean. I have worn this skirt a few times with some difficult to match tops and have always been pleased with the result.

Anyway... there ya have it. Still like my original look, but it is nice to be able to have a use for the top when a more "quiet" outfit is needed.

Don't mind the socks, I forgot to take them off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Moonshadow:

"Unfortunately, that tag has been removed by someone. I can still see the end of it where it was cut. The only tag that remains is on the lower left side and it's just care instructions."

If there is a small portion of the SKEW tag with numbers it is possible to get clues to the manufacturer.
Find a similar skirt on ebay - zoom in on the tag or Ask the Seller a question perhaps finding an answer.
Often the manufacturers tag is removed to prevent fraudulent returns for cash or retail exchange for
credit or simply a size issue and of course it just fell off ! ROFLOL !

Heck a lot of work to track down the History of the Skirt 101 !
Like the shoe fits wear it - the skirt same thing !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, both skirts are fine as they pick up different colours in the top. The busyness of the top is fine and doesn't compete with the plainness of the skirt. I would be fine wearing either combination out and about. I agree that the busy skirt you originally posted, although just on the borderline of acceptability, just provided TOO much for the eye to look at.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Like Sinned said.

To be more precise Let me say the following. The purple skirt I feel tones the top down so it will work when you want to wear the top but don't necessarily want to be the center of attention. The white skirt complements the top beautifully making the combination a great outfit!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Hey there, Moon! Good job on those latest pics! I liked the first one best as the top matched well with the skirt which I think is nice. Nicely coordinated, my friend! As for the white skirt, that looks nice too, but, be careful about where you sit, not to mention eating and/or drinking anything while wearing it because keeping it clean will indeed make for quite a chore.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[The tag says] it was MADE IN USA... hmmm... Didn't think the U.S. still made clothing... really got my curiosity up as to the manufacturer now. :!:
Some is, but it's mainly boutique items and/or low-volume stuff. Virtually all of the high-volume bits come from China or southeast Asia now.
[This is] the purple "granny" skirt I was telling you all about. At first I didn't like it, but I have to admit, when photographed it does seem better. A part of me still things the top is still to busy for the bottom. *shurgs*... maybe I was just in a "loud" mood that day? :P
That works surprisingly well, although the skirt doesn't really look purple on my screen, but that could be down to colour-rendering and early-morning bleary eyes. Also, this is a bit of an object lesson that "mirrors can -- and do -- lie; photographs don't".
I actually like [the] look [with the white skirt] pretty good. I don't have a "plain" white skirt (as in no designs, etc) This one is a tiered skirt from Dress Barn (purchased at GoodWill) I've worn it before. I must say, this is probably my favorite of the two, however as Carl stated, this would be a bear to keep clean. I have worn this skirt a few times with some difficult to match tops and have always been pleased with the result.
White was a "gimme"; there was no way the combination could have failed colour-wise. Any fairly neutral-colour skirt would work as well. That white skirt must be nice and cool during the summer as there doesn't seem to be much substance to it!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:Hey there, Moon! Good job on those latest pics! I liked the first one best as the top matched well with the skirt which I think is nice. Nicely coordinated, my friend! As for the white skirt, that looks nice too, but, be careful about where you sit, not to mention eating and/or drinking anything while wearing it because keeping it clean will indeed make for quite a chore.
It's interesting because... believe it or not guys that purple skirt was my first choice when I laid the garments out on the bed. Even went so far as to try it on out of the shower, however my initial reaction would be that while it didn't look bad... I thought "nah... I'm sure this is going to look stupid"... In other words, I thought I was viewing the skirt with top with rose colored glasses.

I guess I should have just listened to my first impulse! :lol: Maybe I'm getting better at this after all! :D

Okay... I'll give it a wear with the purple skirt.

Now I still think the look with the "loud" floral skirt was cool, and had it's place. In fact, it was, in essence, my own style (weird as it is :P) Sometimes it's good (IMO) to be a little crazy, but it's always nice to know how to put together a good "proper" look when the needs calls for it. Who knows, someday I may be allowed to wear a nice skirted garment in an office setting, and it's handy to know how to pull it off... Thanks for the advice guys!

Regarding the tag, here it is:
tag.jpg
Googling the style and cut turns up NOTHING in Google... and I mean NOTHING. As in "your search ______" did not match any documents"

Holy cow.... Not even the google God knows where this thing came from. Maybe the blouse and me were made by the same creator, and the mold was broke! :lol:

And we found each other anyway! :flower:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

A search on the RN# pointed this up. To wit, from the Federal Trade Commission:

Code: Select all

RN Type	RN Number	Legal Name	Company Name
RN	     118181	  JU HYUN KIM	BLUPRINT CLOTHING CORP. INC.
The company claims to be out of California, but the legal name from the FTC is making me wonder.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:A search on the RN# pointed this up. To wit, from the Federal Trade Commission:

Code: Select all

RN Type	RN Number	Legal Name	Company Name
RN	     118181	  JU HYUN KIM	BLUPRINT CLOTHING CORP. INC.
The company claims to be out of California, but the legal name from the FTC is making me wonder.
You reckon they actually manufactured it? Or do they just own the label? I'd like to see the name of the factory and town it's in that actually produced the garment.

For example, there used to be plant in Pulaski that made I believe socks for Haynes. But the name of the factory was "Jefferson Mills". (of course it's been outsourced to Mexico)

I also notice that the website is considerably outdated, with the last images from 2010, almost six years ago, and the website itself was last copyright 2009. Makes me think it's a fringe clothing designer that was here today and gone tomorrow... or maybe to be more accurate, here yesterday and gone today... Still would be cool to know the actual mill that made the blouse. While the label may be defunct, the mill they contracted with may still be producing other garments.

Hell for all we know Sara Lee made the thing... (they were in the clothing manufacture business)

Seems like a real gem I've got. I WON'T be redonating it!
-Andrea
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

crfriend wrote:A search on the RN# pointed this up. To wit, from the Federal Trade Commission:
RN Type RN Number Legal Name Company Name
RN 118181 JU HYUN KIM BLUPRINT CLOTHING CORP. INC.
Moon,
I had thought it might possibly be made by OneWorld because of the dye-sublimation printing. Oh well, never heard of Bluprint!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Steering this back onto tops and skirts again, it seems to be based on the post I've read, in addition to the images I have viewed on google of the "experts" (women) I feel the general consensus if a skirt is printed, wear a solid, or solid-ish top, if the top is printed, wear a solid, or solid-ish skirt, unless the patterns and colors are just meant for each other.

I found some handy tips on the following websites regarding matching clothing.... since we're going metro here... :bom:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beaut ... ix-prints/

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beaut ... or-mixing/
-Andrea