cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Post by JeffB1959 »

Orange Apple wrote:
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Hi Orange Apple, it's my observation as well that fewer women seemed to wear skirts, though that may be bouncing back. Part of the reason may be simple demographics. Baby boomers are getting old enough that the women of that generation don't feel attractive in skirts anymore. I base that last on some of the comments women at church have given me on my outfits and my legs.
It occurs to me that the very reason that we wear skirts is the reason that women don't want to.

Most of us wear skirts because they are comfortable. That's not the only reason, of course, but it's a contributing factor.

The same societal norm that dictates that men don't wear skirts preocribes that when women wear a skirt they're expected to wear hose and shave their legs (especially here in the US). Panty hose are uncomfortable in the same heat that motivates us to wear a skirt to keep cool. Plus women are under pressure to wear restrictive undergarments to squish down any extra flab to make them look slim. The bottom line is that I can certainly understand the move from a skirt/dress to a pantsuit when that was possible due to lifting the restriction on formal dress.

Brings to mind a story. I started working for a very conservative bank in the 1970s. We were very pleased when the bank liberalized the dress code - we were allowed to remove our suit coat while sitting at our desk. If we got up, even to go to the bathroom, we were expected to immediately don the coat. Women were expected to wear a dress/skirt with hose, and heels. Things have changed a lot, although I think that at this bank anyone who has customer contact still is expected to wear a suit.
I agree that skirts are considerably comfortable, especially during the hot days of spring and summer. I also agree that women seem to be distancing themselves from skirts and dresses, perhaps because they find jeans, shorts and pants more comfortable. Societal norms can be a bear to get past or smash, for BOTH genders, but then, that's why we try!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Orange Apple wrote:
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Hi Orange Apple, it's my observation as well that fewer women seemed to wear skirts, though that may be bouncing back..
The same societal norm that dictates that men don't wear skirts preocribes that when women wear a skirt they're expected to wear hose and shave their legs (especially here in the US). Panty hose are uncomfortable in the same heat that motivates us to wear a skirt to keep cool. Plus women are under pressure to wear restrictive undergarments to squish down any extra flab to make them look slim. The bottom line is that I can certainly understand the move from a skirt/dress to a pantsuit when that was possible due to lifting the restriction on formal dress.
I was considering starting a new thread in the Off Topic section.

I recall a comment awhile back that was posted to a kilting forum-about women admiring the pockets of a Utilikilt.

Perhaps there is a latent niche-ignored at present-for a kind of female skirting.

SkirtCraft, for example, is supposed to be Unisex. A few comments posted to the web site:

Sarah in Minneapolis-"Cute with leggings and boots. Excited to wear it with sandals this summer. Pockets actually hold things and do not bulge."

One unnamed person-"its hard to find women skirts this sturdy and with POCKETS"

Perhaps what women need are alternatives to traditional fashion? Where they aren't bound by the rules because, in this context, there are no rules?

The Macabi Skirt was originally designed as a practical skirt for women. What is notable is that it was a product not connected with the traditional fashion industry. An outsider designed her own product and founded her own company. In a process similar to new companies that sell utility kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I recall a comment awhile back that was posted to a kilting forum-about women admiring the pockets of a Utilikilt.

Perhaps there is a latent niche-ignored at present-for a kind of female skirting.
Skirts with functional pockets have existed in "women's" styles for years. The skirts I started off in once I moved beyond my home-brew concoctions were originally my ex's from the time when she was still professionally employed. Those had functional pockets in them and were remarkably versatile garments. They were wonderful. Sadly, the type went out of production many, many, years ago.

The only drawback to the design was that it was functional, and whilst being much more attractive than trousers likely fell by the wayside as being somewhat dowdy.

Of course now with everything being trousers and t-shirts none of that even enters the mind any longer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:
Skirts with functional pockets have existed in "women's" styles for years. The skirts I started off in once I moved beyond my home-brew concoctions were originally my ex's from the time when she was still professionally employed. Those had functional pockets in them and were remarkably versatile garments. They were wonderful. Sadly, the type went out of production many, many, years ago.

The only drawback to the design was that it was functional, and whilst being much more attractive than trousers likely fell by the wayside as being somewhat dowdy.

Of course now with everything being trousers and t-shirts none of that even enters the mind any longer.
"...out of production..."

Perhaps that is part of why people have largely settled on casual clothing-it is at least somewhat functional, if dull.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Absolutely love my skirts and wear them whenever I can - so much more comfortable than trousers and just love all the styles and colours to choose from.

And for me, it is just not skirts - women just have so much more choice of what to wear than men, and I have decided that what is good enough for them is good enough for me!! I also now have a wonderful selection of tops and knitwear to wear with my skirts. And yes, I have a few dresses as well. :)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

TopCat wrote:And for me, it is just not skirts - women just have so much more choice of what to wear than men, and I have decided that what is good enough for them is good enough for me!!
Hi Topcat, You have hit the nail on the head. :dance: I too have decided that what is good for the goose is good for the gander too! :lol: I wear skirts all over the place as well as tops form the other side of the store. It has been at least nine months since I last wore pants or shorts. and at least two years since I have worn pants. I decided a long time ago that what I wear is my business and no one else's.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:
Those had functional pockets in them and were remarkably versatile garments. They were wonderful. Sadly, the type went out of production many, many, years ago.

Check out the comments. http://www.women-on-the-road.com/travel-skirt.html

It seems that 2 of the 4 listed are no longer available.

It was commented that women won't buy the Macabi, due to appearance.

Perhaps only a small number of women will buy such garments, because of a bland appearance?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have a Discovery skirt and a couple ExOfficcio skirts, though not the particular one mentioned, as best I can tell. I like them but the hem could be wider and fabric stretchier on the ExOfficcio skirts, so it doesn't inhibit upward steps. I have a Macabi, but don't wear it often for the reason given, its look and length. My favorite travel/outdoor skirts are, atm, actually skorts, by BetaBrand and Jack Wolfskin.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

skirted_in_SF wrote:Here in SF it is so rare to see a skirted woman in stockings (not tights/leggings) that it is a novelty.
The world is changing. Good.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Considering Tennessee is one of the prohibited states, I'd say I may be correct on that assumption. Those religious conservative types don't want women going around topless because they believe women are supposed to remain very modest.
But what of Alabama and Louisiana? I'm rather surprised that there aren't more states painted in "red" in that chart.

Now, just because something is legal doesn't mean that anybody will actually pick up on it. There is no jurisdiction in the USA that I am aware of which prohibits, by law or fiat, the wearing of skirts by men -- yet look at how few guys wear skirts.
I live close to the beach in Alabama. as well as rivers with beaches. I've never once seen an exposed breast.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

wow! my post has been a busy one. it's been awhile since I visited this great forum.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It's apparently illegal on Federal property; Ocracoke Island was a popular place at one time for discreet naturists and topless sunbathers, but the popularity of nudity became such that the authorities now prohibit it. It is mostly part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. I suppose a discrimination case could be made that if men are not required to cover their upper bodies, women should not have to either. But, this being the Bible Belt, we have enough trouble here just with women trying to breast feed their infants in public, despite the fact that the right to do so is protected by NC law. They get screamed at by conservative so-called Christians often.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:It's apparently illegal on Federal property; Ocracoke Island was a popular place at one time for discreet naturists and topless sunbathers, but the popularity of nudity became such that the authorities now prohibit it. It is mostly part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. I suppose a discrimination case could be made that if men are not required to cover their upper bodies, women should not have to either. But, this being the Bible Belt, we have enough trouble here just with women trying to breast feed their infants in public, despite the fact that the right to do so is protected by NC law. They get screamed at by conservative so-called Christians often.
And a just court would uphold a woman's right to go topless anywhere a man can. IMO the only justified and constitutional way to ban a woman from going around topless would be to ban men from the practice as well.

It could change if enough women would stand up and demand fairness. However there seems to be about as many women interested in going topless as there are men who want to wear skirts. Thankfully men who wear skirts isn't illegal. Although not long ago... it apparently was..! :shock:

I've also given some thought to how the topless issue plays into the whole transgender movement now... trans-women (who are still have "male" on their documents) can legally go topless virtually anywhere, despite looking like a woman, and maybe even having real breast. Trans-men (who still have "female" on their documents) may come under legal problems in many areas.

People sure are strange.... :|
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

HG.org wrote:There are no federal laws either for or against nudity,
except to the extent that it may be protected under the
First Amendment right to freedom of expression. Local
laws will take precedence when the question of nudity
relates to federal lands, such as federal parks, beaches,
and other facilities.
See https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=31193 for further info.

As far as the National Park Service is concerned,
see https://www.nps.gov/policy/SD-91-3.pdf

Nudism has been classified by the N.P.S. as a form of
recreation, therefore the N.P.S. does not have any 'rules'
against nudism. But the "Local" bureaucrats can be
a real pain in the chair about this. Tread lightly :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

My local clothing optional beach is on federal property - Golden Gate National Parks. At least I think it is still clothing optional, I haven't been for several years. I decided to cut back on the amount of sun I get on my skin (it's aging you know, and I'm already old enough :shock: ). I do get a bit of sun on my lower legs while walking around in a skirt though.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco