cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: cannot stop the skirts, it's addicting

Post by rick401r »

I'm reminded of an instance when I (dressed in a kilt, tee shirt, and sandals) was having a conversation when across the street a fellow in a sky blue skirt, a white blouse, high heels, and a purse passed by. The man I was talking to pointed and laughed. I mentioned that he and I were both wearing skirts. His response was "yes, but you are not trying to look like a woman". I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps a more subtle look is more acceptable to the general public.
To the fellow with the heels and purse and to others who are more flamboyant, I say be happy and don't worry about the pointing, laughing oafs out there.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

moonshadow wrote: I'm of the personal belief that kilts will win more men over than skirts from the women's side of the store. So my point above was merely that if it's just a matter of promoting a general skirt for a man, I believe the kilt would be the best way to go. Perhaps soon they will come down in price somewhat as they gradually get more popular and more and more manufacturers are competing. This thought really has to do with the idea that most men do not want to look like crossdressers or transvestites. And lets just call a spade a spade here... I'm sure the general public looks at me and virtually every freestyler on this site as just another crazy crossdresser, only without the makeup, wig, and hiked up voice.
I wonder how successful the concept of "unisex skirt" will be. I am biased since the Skirtcraft product was the first skirt that I wore, but perhaps there is a category between "kilt" and "skirt from the women's side". I honestly do not know. When the general public sees me in the so-called unisex skirt, do they perceive me any differently than when I am wearing a skirt that actually did come from the women's department?
moonshadow wrote:And that's fine, because every now and then I get to strike up a conversation with someone about why I wear what I wear, and I'm able to educate them on the real reasons why I do this, and that is that it has everything to do with the fact I enjoy them, and wish to promote men's fashion freedom.
And this is exactly why, as time goes on, if there are enough men wearing skirts it will become unremarkable. Frankly, I don't see that happening any time soon. But I didn't predict the rapid decline of smoking or the changes in societal attitudes towards LGBT folks, either. It would be nice to be proven wrong and get a pleasant surprise.
moonshadow wrote:Whereas a great majority on this site prefer to project somewhat of a "standard" image of the skirted man, as you all well know, I enjoy leaning more towards the eclectic style. Yes it makes heads hurt and turn, but I enjoy projecting the image that we can set our "fashion spirit" free. I do like the way I look when I'm dressed formal in a skirt or dress, but often times, I just really enjoy being flamboyant. But don't worry fellas, I am the minority in this regard, and I seriously doubt I'm going to single-handedly derail the entire men in skirts movement because I look funny. :lol: ... Maybe Cyndi Lauper and myself were cut from the same stock. :D I dunno. :eye:

Perhaps that's why I like my style, because it's too crazy for men and women alike. "Well, does he look like a man? No. Does he look like a woman? No... He looks like Moon Shadow". It makes me near impossible to pigeonhole in any class, save for the crazies. And what can I say.... the shoe fits! 8)
"Everyone's crazy except you and me, and sometimes I wonder about you."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Orange Apple wrote:When the general public sees me in the so-called unisex skirt, do they perceive me any differently than when I am wearing a skirt that actually did come from the women's department?
The skirtcraft may be perceived as a kilt by those who do not know any better. And yes, some in society will think it's a kilt, I've argued with a checker who saw my ankle length blue house skirt and swore it was a kilt, even though it was clearly a midi skirt, non-pleated, no apron, etc. It was in essence... your "grandma's house skirt."

Other than that, I suppose it really depends on how flamboyant the skirt from the women's department is. A lot of mine are attention getters, but I do have a few simple, conservative skirts that I wear when I don't feel like standing out.

But I fancy the fact that I no longer shop in the men's department, save for socks and underwear, which I upgrade about once a year or so depending on when they wear out. It's not that I have an issue with men's clothes now, but I figured I've spent 35 years of my life wearing "men's" clothes... I'll spend the remaining 35 years wearing the alternative. Sure is a lot more to choose from! Why I won't even wear men's sunglasses anymore.
Orange Apple wrote:And this is exactly why, as time goes on, if there are enough men wearing skirts it will become unremarkable. Frankly, I don't see that happening any time soon. But I didn't predict the rapid decline of smoking or the changes in societal attitudes towards LGBT folks, either. It would be nice to be proven wrong and get a pleasant surprise.
Well, I don't expect the majority of men will be wearing skirts anytime soon either. But, that's okay, as long as it remains legal for me to do so then that's all that matters. I kind of like this uniqueness about me. If all men wore skirts then it wouldn't feel as special. But then again, I could easily adjust. If men's skirts were ever a thing, it sure would be nice to wear them around the office as carefree as women do.
Orange Apple wrote:"Everyone's crazy except you and me, and sometimes I wonder about you."
Make no mistake... I'm as crazy as they come. I'm the only human being on the planet who's never been high, so my brain is already "different" than the masses.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Orange Apple wrote:
moonshadow wrote: .
I wonder how successful the concept of "unisex skirt" will be. I am biased since the Skirtcraft product was the first skirt that I wore, but perhaps there is a category between "kilt" and "skirt from the women's side". I honestly do not know. When the general public sees me in the so-called unisex skirt, do they perceive me any differently than when I am wearing a skirt that actually did come from the women's department?
moonshadow wrote:.
moonshadow wrote:)
."
Actually, the concept of a unisex skirt is still probably too much of a novelty for the general public
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Actually, the concept of a unisex skirt is still probably too much of a novelty for the general public
This is especially the case given that the term "unisex" has always historically meant women appropriating men's styles. Attempting to apply it to men causes much cognitive dissonance.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Orange Apple wrote:...When the general public sees me in the so-called unisex skirt, do they perceive me any differently than when I am wearing a skirt that actually did come from the women's department?...
No. I think that when the general public sees a man in a skirt, they pretty much see a man in a skirt.

I'd worry much more about the style, color, pattern, fabric, and pockets than about the tag.

Unless, of course, the tag gives you confidence.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:Actually, the concept of a unisex skirt is still probably too much of a novelty for the general public
This is especially the case given that the term "unisex" has always historically meant women appropriating men's styles. Attempting to apply it to men causes much cognitive dissonance.
If I recall correctly, someone pointed out that some handle the cognitive dissonance of a man-in-a-skirt by calling it a "kilt".

But what if a particular design is intended to be worn by both men and women? Will observers have a double dose of cognitive dissonance? :shock:

Orange Apple, I believe that the "Unisex Skirt" could be regarded as a new category.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In the words of a learned meerkat, "simples"!
I wear a skirt. I have seen more than one female wearing the same skirt.
The gender of the wearer is irrelevant. The designers intentions for the skirt are equally irrelevant.
I wear the skirt, she wears the same skirt.
How much more "unisex" ,can we get?
The skirt came from Next, and I have seen it on 4 other people.
It has also been featured in "pics and looks"
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The number of [Skirtcraft] customers may have been a minuscule percentage of the population, but here I would define success as some people getting to wear what they want, rather some big transformation of society.
Last edited by crfriend on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried, perhaps in vain, to correct quoting [CRF]
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:The number of [Skirtcraft] customers may have been a minuscule percentage of the population, but here I would define success as some people getting to wear what they want, rather some big transformation of society.
The relative success of Skirtcraft likely does not represent a sea-change in men's fashion (lower-case "f" there), but does indicate some small amount of movement. The only way we'll see a profound change, much less a "transformation", is if guys who have some innate desire to dispose of two tubes in favour of one (or a cone) actually do so, unashamedly, in public and present a compelling image worthy of imitation. The questions then become, (1) how many have that desire, and (2) how many can muster the courage to buck "conventional wisdom" and "tradion".

The fact that I honestly don't see that happening in my lifetime is not going to dissuade me from wearing my skirts in public -- and trying, in my own inimitable way, to set that standard of being worthy of emulation.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:The fact that I honestly don't see that happening in my lifetime is not going to dissuade me from wearing my skirts in public -- and trying, in my own inimitable way, to set that standard of being worthy of emulation.
As for a good number of men adopting styles like yours, mine, and Jeff's, then I'd say no, men probably will have little interest in that regard. However lets not forget the growing popularity of the kilt. Of which I am seeing more and more men out and about, or at least hearing of men who own one. In fact, I'm working with a new colleague now who claims to have three! I suspect that within 5 years, while seeing a man in a kilt won't be an everyday occurrence, I don't think it will be much of a novelty anymore.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Orange Apple wrote: I wonder how successful the concept of "unisex skirt" will be. I am biased since the Skirtcraft product was the first skirt that I wore, but perhaps there is a category between "kilt" and "skirt from the women's side". I honestly do not know. When the general public sees me in the so-called unisex skirt, do they perceive me any differently than when I am wearing a skirt that actually did come from the women's department?
I think that the majority of people would not know the difference unless one is familiar with a certain branding.

I have pronounced that all skirts are unisex - although most people don't know that.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

denimini wrote:...I have pronounced that all skirts are unisex - although most people don't know that.
Love it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

denimini wrote:
Orange Apple wrote: I wonder how successful the concept of "unisex skirt" will be. I am biased since the Skirtcraft product was the first skirt that I wore, but perhaps there is a category between "kilt" and "skirt from the women's side". I honestly do not know. When the general public sees me in the so-called unisex skirt, do they perceive me any differently than when I am wearing a skirt that actually did come from the women's department?
I think that the majority of people would not know the difference unless one is familiar with a certain branding.
Agreed. Or care, for that matter. "There is a man wearing a skirt."
denimini wrote: I have pronounced that all skirts are unisex - although most people don't know that.
I think the basic issue is that only a small percentage of men even care what they wear. Women are indoctrinated from early childhood with the notion that fashion is important, while men receive the opposite message. In most cases this results in women who are slaves to fashion and men who couldn't care less what they wear. There are many exceptions, of course, but most men just don't care enough to even consider the option of wearing a skirt.

I have the impression that skirts are becoming less popular with women, although I have not found any data to back that up. Maybe today's woman is less obsessed with fashion than in the past, or maybe skirts are seen as more formal and the trend is towards more casual. Maybe the day will come when it's as usual to see men in skirts as women because less women are wearing them.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:The number of [Skirtcraft] customers may have been a minuscule percentage of the population, but here I would define success as some people getting to wear what they want, rather some big transformation of society.
The fact that I honestly don't see that happening in my lifetime .
Neither do I.

The only noticeable change on the street are the few who have tried kilting. Thats better than nothing, and nothing is what we had not many years ago.