Dexter Cheston fashions Feb 2016

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dexter Cheston fashions Feb 2016

Post by Stevie D »

Caultron wrote: But it is striking how long those top designers have been showing skirts for men, and how little influence they've had, and yet how they keep it up.
Perhaps we underestimate the influence the top designers have already had? Granted, we still don't commonly see men wearing skirts, but I get the feeling that even in the mind of the general public, there is more general awareness that some men do push their fashion choices in this way and it causes less surprise that it might have done 10 - 20 years ago.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Stevie D wrote:Perhaps we underestimate the influence the top designers have already had? Granted, we still don't commonly see men wearing skirts, but I get the feeling that even in the mind of the general public, there is more general awareness that some men do push their fashion choices in this way and it causes less surprise that it might have done 10 - 20 years ago.
That's certainly possible.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The catwalk couture designs are meant to be art, or maybe just to provoke. Women's clothes are so varied, and so many outlandish things have been tried already, that the designers struggle to come up with something that hasn't been done before. In menswear it's much easier: skirts have so failed to catch on in ordinaryville that they still have enough impact in the fashion shows.

Or maybe the designers genuinely want men to start wearing skirts!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I think it's all about status and influence. If a designer manages to introduce a new style and have it take off, that designer gains status over his peers and higher prices for his products.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

If the designers aren't angling to get men to wear skirts and dresses, they're missing a solid gold business opportunity.

Think about it, there are about as many men as women. On average, men spend about half of what women do on clothes and we make more. Theoretically, we should therefore have a whole lot more money to spend on clothes than we do without cutting into some other necessity AND they could tap that market by just adjusting their cutting patterns to fit men or maybe not at all, so they just doubled the return on their investment in a given design.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:If the designers aren't angling to get men to wear skirts and dresses, they're missing a solid gold business opportunity...
That's occurred to me as well. I'm sure the designers would love to make as much money from men's fashions as they do from women's.

caultron
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Designer skirts are sold at outragious prices via e.g. luisaviaroma. Often they are sold in a wink, so there must be more interest out there than there are members to this forum. Also at Shopstyle, Prices over usd 1000. I would think that if during a fashion show a couple showed like twins the same garments and thus promoting the interchangeability, the threshold might be lowered.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Why on earth would anyone spend $10,000 for a skirt? Surely it's not anything innate to the physical garment.

No, the reason to wear a $10,000 skirt is to show off the fact that you can afford it.

Same with Rolex watches, Gucci purses, Lamborghinis, and many others.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Caultron wrote:Why on earth would anyone spend $10,000 for a skirt? Surely it's not anything innate to the physical garment.

No, the reason to wear a $10,000 skirt is to show off the fact that you can afford it.

I live in one of the world's hot spots for showing off what you can afford. Zillions of Mercedes, BMW and Audis on the streets - probably 50% of them the high performance variations (AMG, M, RS). I'm not sure I would recognize a Rolex if I saw one, same with Gucci; but there are a lot of young men (and women) wearing watches the size of manhole covers. Lambo's are not very common here, the Italian show-off car of choice is a Maserati (often with the exhaust system set on loud).
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:Why on earth would anyone spend $10,000 for a skirt? Surely it's not anything innate to the physical garment.

$ 1,000.-- or $ 10.000,--, what's the difference? The only thing that surprises me that skirts at such prices are gone in no time. Who bought them at such a price???
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Gusto10 wrote:...$ 1,000.-- or $ 10.000,--, what's the difference? The only thing that surprises me that skirts at such prices are gone in no time. Who bought them at such a price???
Rich people who want to show it off.

What I'd like to know is where those men's skirt outfits actually get worn.

Like do they wear them to art shows or polo marches or evening parties or what? You'd think they'd show up in print more often.

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Caultron wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:...$ 1,000.-- or $ 10.000,--, what's the difference? The only thing that surprises me that skirts at such prices are gone in no time. Who bought them at such a price???
Rich people who want to show it off.

What I'd like to know is where those men's skirt outfits actually get worn.

Like do they wear them to art shows or polo marches or evening parties or what? You'd think they'd show up in print more often.
It's only people like EJ Johnson wearing them :roll: why spend a fortune on a designer skirt for men (often in limited sizes) when you can buy a perfectly good denim one from a charity / thrift shop or off ebay?

There was the Thom Browne skirt suit a few years ago, but the prices were too high for me :blue: :roll:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kilty wrote:...why spend a fortune on a designer skirt for men (often in limited sizes) when you can buy a perfectly good denim one from a charity / thrift shop or off ebay?...
For most of us, this is eminently true.

There's nothing inherent in a $10,000 skirt that makes it 1000 times better than a $10 skirt. Sure, it may be somewhat better, but not 10,000 times better.

So the reason someone would spend $10,000 on a skirt is strictly to flaunt the fact that they can.
Last edited by Caultron on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Caultron wrote:
kilty wrote:...why spend a fortune on a designer skirt for men (often in limited sizes) when you can buy a perfectly good denim one from a charity / thrift shop or off ebay?...
For most of us, this is eminently true.

There's nothing inherent in a $10,000 skirt that makes it 1000 times better than a $10 skirt. Sure, it may be somewhat better better, but not 10,000 times better.

So the reason someone would spend $10,000 on a skirt is strictly to flaunt the fact that they can.
I concur with your logic, Caultron. And it's not just the liquor talkin'!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...