To dress or not to dress?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

To dress or not to dress?

Post by SkirtsDad »

As several people have people have already mentioned, finding a dress that suits a man's body shape can often be tricky because of things like the neckline, waist too high etc. I have a handful of dresses that absolutely work for me, but this one I'm still a little undecided on. Any feedback - compliments, constructive criticism etc. - would be great. Thanks guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: To dress or not to dress?

Post by Kilty »

The dress makes you look 24 weeks pregnant, lol :lol: It is not very flattering and quite shapeless. That's just my interpretation, I like my clothes to be more fitted, a skater dress would suit you, or a bodycon mini dress. There's some nice ones at Asos, be careful with anything from M&S, the quality is not what it used to be, I have bought size 10 pencil skirts with size 8 linings in, which has meant ripping the lining out and wearing a slip to stop VPL... :oops:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

SD, I think it looks fine. Loose-fitting, yes, but that's presumably how it's designed to be. I don't think that you have the pregnant look as the dress doesn't billow out front. The tights and cardie that you're wearing are fine. Busy, but then so is the dress. I would wear that combination. Not everyone likes to wear body conforming attire. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It appears a bit too short to obscure the crotch of your tights. It may work better if it was a little longer. But I admire your boldness in clothing choices. Keep up the creative work.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

I don't like it. but I agree with Dillon. I admire your boldness too
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Maybe it's just my astigmatism, but I'm not a fan of those types of stripes, they hurt my eyes.

For my tastes it looks real busy and shapeless.

No matter what, if you feel comfortable and happy in it and it's appropriate to where you're going, wear it. If you don't feel comfortable in it or it's not appropriate to the occasion (i.e., a woman wearing it would look conspicuously over- or under- dressed) DON'T wear it. The old adage is the key, "Attitude is everything."

IMHO
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I like the colours, and do I see a hint of pattern in the tights? I am liking patterned tights/stockings, and like some strong colours overall. Do agree with some of the other comments about the shape, but I put that down to personal preference. Also a little too much pattern overall, I think aim for a mix of pattern and plain. These are my style preferences, or comfort zone, if this works for your personal view then that's what matters.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The big question here is DO YOU LIKE IT??? :?: :?: :?: If the answer is yes then wear it and enjoy it. :) If not then try something else a new combination of colors and patterns. For me it is too short. :wink: I prefer knee length or lower.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

SkirtsDad wrote:As several people have people have already mentioned, finding a dress that suits a man's body shape can often be tricky because of things like the neckline, waist too high etc. I have a handful of dresses that absolutely work for me, but this one I'm still a little undecided on. Any feedback - compliments, constructive criticism etc. - would be great. Thanks guys.
I've held off on this for a while now, but I hope the following is constructive.

First, I'm not a fan of that jacket at all. This may be my failing, and not the jacket's, but it looks to me like it's made out of rags and it just kind of screams, "bag lady," to me.

Also, choose either the strongly-patterned jacket or the strongly-patterned dress, but not both. One strong pattern at a time is about the most the eye can assimilate. With two, the mind keeps wondering how they're supposed to match.

The dress is OK, but I'd recommend experimenting with something that's wider and/or thicker in the shoulders and somehow divided at the waist (as, for example, by a belt or color contrast.) Anything that makes your shoulders look wider and your waist look thinner will help. Don't wear clothes that actually bunch up at the waist, though. Consider a waist-length jacket and a pleated skirt in military or earth-tone colors.

But if none of that works for you, by all means continue with what you like. There's no accounting for taste, and that includes mine.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron