Bowling skort?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Bowling skort?

Post by dillon »

DANIELLE_MCEWAN_REACTION1_347023.JPG
I was in the gym this afternoon and did an extra ten on the cross-trainer while watching women's pro bowling on ESPN, (on one of the gym's 2 television screens; the other stays fixed to Fox News, which naturally makes me deliriously happy :x ) chiefly because a young professional lady bowler, Danielle McEwan, won a championship, and she bowls regularly in what I assume is a skort, though it may be a skirt. I was not able to tell, but Google images suggest a skort. I was on a bowling team once, like 30 plus years ago, just after college, and I am generally in favor of any sport where beer can be consumed while participating (and the only other one I can think of may be fishing). But she looked good bowling in the skort, and it really makes me want to start another league team of skorted men...if only I knew any others, LOL. Our old team was called the GourdHeads...I think I'd call this one the Benders. Incidentally, her opponent was wearing pants. I'm sure the skort was a factor! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bowling skort?

Post by partlyscot »

Interesting timing, as I am participating in an evening at the bowlarama next Sunday. I had been planning on just using a suitable skirt, but now you mention this, I do have some skorts....
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

No way to tell if the skirt (skort) in the photo is one or the other.
By the design I would guess it is a skort.
The (short) length is one contributing factor - skirts tend to be
longer in hem length because of less of what is worn underneath.
Also in this photo the side panel design is typical of a skort and
not so much of a skirt - but this is not conclusive.
The general trend is for team wear to be skorts especially those
that are most apt to be in athletic leagues i.e. golf for one.
Skirts may be dominate in tennis and very active solo sports
but like cheerleading could go either way.
Bicycle riding is an example of less covers more and makes for
slight edge in ease of mounting and dismounting
As for cost the skort is more expensive than the skirt as the skort
has the inner shorts (shorties) or compression type under garment.
Because of that factor the hem line can be significantly shorter with
more coverage than the skirt.
The waist can be as simple as an elastic pull-up/on type or
a front side rear zipper. With a zipper closing the waist becomes
one with a fixed measurement in size.
With the elastic band waist the garment can fit a variable size range.

A search on Ebay results in thousands of skirts and skorts.
CAUTION Ebay tries to misdirect your search if you put in "SKORT"
thinking you mean Skirt.

One of the nice attributes of the Skort is the front panel(s) like a kilt
there are two pieces of fabric - the apron and shorts to help with the
camouflage of the flat front effect for those concerned about that
direction of the fit.
Wearing solid dark colors or patterns is useful to accomplish this -
not so much with whites and pastels.

The beauty of the skort can not be underestimated because whatever
which ever way the body is positioned there is no indecent exposure
unless the under garment is less than a panty.

A majority of readers here would just as soon forgo the skort wearing.
Reason being if you are going unbifurcated why the extra material
between the legs that when you went hunting for alligators and failed
to drain the swamp all this got in the way.

In any event the design of the skort similar to the skirt was designed
for the female frame - but there is no reason why guys can't wear one !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

All the skorts I have - and I have several; tennis, trail, and running - are essentially loose miniskirts with "boy leg" compression shorts built in. I've encountered only once a skort made with a flat free panel in front, and even that had a full skirt around it. I've never seen ones some have mentioned as being basically shorts with flat front and rear panels. I think those types are exceedingly rare. All mine are of stretch lycra/spandex or at least a semi-stretchy nylon, and made for sports. I have a Nike golf skort that is actually a two piece set.

I also prefer skirts, but skorts have the feature of matching the inner and outer parts in color and fabric. Worn with a jock or thong, it's not without utility in an active sports role.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:All the skorts I have - and I have several; tennis, trail, and running - are essentially loose miniskirts with "boy leg" compression shorts built in. I've encountered only once a skort made with a flat free panel in front, and even that had a full skirt around it. I've never seen ones some have mentioned as being basically shorts with flat front and rear panels. I think those types are exceedingly rare. All mine are of stretch lycra/spandex or at least a semi-stretchy nylon, and made for sports. I have a Nike golf skort that is actually a two piece set.
I also prefer skirts, but skorts have the feature of matching the inner and outer parts in color and fabric. Worn with a jock or thong, it's not without utility in an active sports role.
The Skort without the rear apron is or was called a scooter and was the first generation of the skirt short conversion.
It was commonly found in the young girls children's clothing departments.
A Skort will invariably have the skirted apron across the front of the garment be it flat or with accessory buttoned zippered closing panels.
There have been designs that look like a denim skirt with the fly closing both the skirted front panel and the inner shorts together.
For the orthodox skirt wearer it flies in the face of an abomination of the unbifurcated garment with the inner clothing structure.
But this in some cases allows for the omission of underwear or minimal clothing as that is an all ready covered area although for serious
skort wearers the compression inner panty is the answer sans under gear !
An all in one piece garment for the bottom half of the torso !

Ya doesn't haveta wear the skort if ya no want to - but then sometimes the raw economics of buying a skirt garment tilts in favor of buying the skort
where you could simply scissors snip out the inner panel and then have a skirt - but careful how you make this simple alteration least you have something
less than a mini-skirt left over ! I remember years ago of the neighbor kid who wanted shorts and cut the fabric just below the rear pockets resulting in
two globes covered only by the inner pocket liners - Oops lesson learned ! Best to go to a thrift store for practice material.

So Skorts you are either going to like'm love'm or not !
A factor to consider with a skirt the skirt can be raised higher on the waist whereas the skort with its bifurcated inner crotch will stymie this move in the
interests of doing restroom business.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Skorts are generally short enough that butchering the inner compression short would just result in too much exposure. If the skirt component was tighter, it might be less an issue, but the flare of the skirt is pretty generous, usually. I have six as best I can recall.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I have seen a lot of skirts marketed as sports skirts, most come with a built in inner compression short. Many can be ordered without the shorts as a simple A-Line short skirt, short being Knee to Mid Thigh length.
I googled the womens PBA images and see that quite a few ladies bowl in skort/skirts. I saw one that looked to be wearing a dress, several wearing skits with leggings or just the leggings along. Some were in regular shorts, almost no photos of the ladies wearing full length pants.

I guess the women want to dress different from the men on the tour.

:ugeek:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It's got to be a more practical garment for bowling than trousers, just for the stretch.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

So I went bowling tonight, 5 pin though. (It's Canada, they like to be different) Wore the same outfit I had worked in, just below knee grey tweed look skirt, diamond check grey/black thin mostly opaque tights. I did pack along a pair of pants and a skort, just in case. No issues, no-one screaming "My eyes! Think of the children!" Had a good time and was glad to be able to stay comfortably dressed. Skirt was easy to bowl in and didn't restrict me at all.