it definately gets easier to dress in public

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

it definately gets easier to dress in public

Post by Bamaskirting »

when i first started wearing a skirt in public, i was super nervous! i still am a bit, but i have found it gets way easier. and many of you said it would.a few days ago, i wore a short dress and opaque black tights to the dollar tree. they were really busy, but i went in there. i also wore a pair of yoga pants while shopping in lowes- which, to me, is the ultimate "man" store. both of those experiences were great. and i noticed my nerves were much better.
now i need more skirts to wear. i have been shopping around but have not found anything
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: it definately gets easier to dress in public

Post by r.m.anderson »

Bamaskirting wrote:when i first started wearing a skirt in public, i was super nervous! i still am a bit, but i have found it gets way easier. and many of you said it would.a few days ago, i wore a short dress and opaque black tights to the dollar tree. they were really busy, but i went in there. i also wore a pair of yoga pants while shopping in lowes- which, to me, is the ultimate "man" store. both of those experiences were great. and i noticed my nerves were much better.
now i need more skirts to wear. i have been shopping around but have not found anything
Ya gotta stop shopping at Lowes for skirts ! ROFLOL !!!!!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Bamaskirting: I think that one key reason for why we feel a level of nervousness when wearing skirts in public is because we have no idea what to expect from the world around us, and the unknown can be most unnerving. However, when nothing goes wrong, the world doesn't come to an end and we manage to enjoy our outing, we relax and arrive at the conclusion that public skirt wearing is no big deal. It was that way for me the first few times, now it's all good for me. Hell, I've worn a 15 inch denim miniskirt with high heeled thigh boots in Home Depot and actually got a compliment from a female salesperson, so freestyling in a big box hardware store is no big deal either.

r.m.anderson: HA! Funny!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

That is definitely how I feel. I went to Amsterdam (sorry if I missed anyone there - too busy) for a conference this week.

Both days I wore a black dress. Well, one dress and another men's cardigan from Asos (the Extreme Longline one that is to all intents and purposes a dress - link: http://www.asos.com/asos/asos-extreme-l ... e+longline). The other was from M&S (http://www.marksandspencer.com/round-ne ... evPage=plp). That one was paired with black tights, the former with black leggings.

Both were worn with knee boots (http://www.deichmann.com/GB/en/shop/hom ... nInList=15)

I walked around the show floor (it was an expo about digital signage BTW). I got a couple of looks (probably quite a few really) but no hostile reaction or comment. Even went on a couple of tours to meet various business people about the products they were exhibiting - all passed off without incident.

Interestingly enough, both nights, I had dinner with a number of people I was at the show with, and no one said anything about how I was dressed. Even went walking alone in Amsterdam to get to one restaurant. All OK for me!

Can I say at this point, I was otherwise presenting as a man. I got "sirred" the entire time and always used the appropriate gendered facilities (gents) as that is how I think of myself. Want to make that clear - Despite the dresses, I was unmistakably a man the whole time!

Wanted to share this with you to help those wanting to make the move to skirts and dresses. I thought it would have been a lot harder, but when I did it, it was like pushing on an open door.

Onwards and upwards!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

renesm1 wrote:...when I did it, it was like pushing on an open door.

Onwards and upwards!!!
Congratulations and good skirting!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It does get easier, though, for me at least, the self-consciousness has never totally gone away. To me, that feeling is least noticible when (1) I am very comfortable with my look, as in something casual, and not overly striking, and (2) when I am in an environment where I don't feel expectations of "normal". In situations where I do feel those expectations, however, then it's almost easier to take on a more radical style, i.e., push the envelope on my comfort zone. Sometimes simple fashion boldness is at least a temporary remedy to insecurity.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

dillon wrote:It does get easier, though, for me at least, the self-consciousness has never totally gone away. To me, that feeling is least noticible when (1) I am very comfortable with my look, as in something casual, and not overly striking, and (2) when I am in an environment where I don't feel expectations of "normal". In situations where I do feel those expectations, however, then it's almost easier to take on a more radical style, i.e., push the envelope on my comfort zone. Sometimes simple fashion boldness is at least a temporary remedy to insecurity.
Well put! I would be lying if I said I didn't feel self-conscious during the show. But I also felt a sense of calm in that I was being my more authentic self when dressed in the way I described above. It's strange how two seemingly opposite emotions can be felt at once, but that's how I felt inside.

I also wanted to do this at such a big show (several exhibition halls and tens of thousands of people) as I wanted people to see what a man in a dress who isn't trying to look like a woman looks like. No paraphernalia to disguise me and look like a woman. Just the clothes and the man! I hope now loads more people have an idea of what a man in a dress looks like and I hope it is a positive one!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well done renesm1!

Are you employed or self-employed, and if the former, does your employer know you wear dresses on the company's time?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:It does get easier, though, for me at least, the self-consciousness has never totally gone away. To me, that feeling is least noticible when (1) I am very comfortable with my look, as in something casual, and not overly striking, and (2) when I am in an environment where I don't feel expectations of "normal". In situations where I do feel those expectations, however, then it's almost easier to take on a more radical style, i.e., push the envelope on my comfort zone. Sometimes simple fashion boldness is at least a temporary remedy to insecurity.
I admit, I still struggle off and on. Sometimes I just want to take the easy way out and wear jeans or something of that nature just to let my guard "rest" for the weekend. It's not that I like trousers more than skirts, it's not that I don't think the skirts are stylish and look good on me... it's just society. Some days it feels like I'm on top of the world when wearing a skirt, then other days I just feel the world breathing down my back for the practice.

When my step father died, I purchased a pair of jeans to wear for the weekend while I was up at mom's. Out of respect for her, and the fact that countless family and friends were coming and going, I wore trousers through the hole event. I was reminded how uncomfortable they are when bending and stooping, getting in and out of cars, sitting, standing, you name it. My balls took a real beating that weekend. It's amazing when you wear skirts for a while, you do grow accustomed to them. My work trousers really aren't "too" bad. Then again, they are pretty baggy, much to the complaint of other techs. They say they are like "clown pants". True, they are, so not very stylish, but as far as comfort goes, they're tolerable. Still, nothing like the skirt though.

Although I do have fun wearing the skirts on the weekend. Truth be known, I dread weekends when I have to wear trousers. And not because I can't "show off" my skirts, and make a splash in public, but rather, they are generally more comfortable. I know when I am able to wear what's comfortable for me, the weekend is going to be better for it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I admit, I still struggle off and on. Sometimes I just want to take the easy way out and wear jeans or something of that nature just to let my guard "rest" for the weekend. It's not that I like trousers more than skirts, it's not that I don't think the skirts are stylish and look good on me... it's just society. Some days it feels like I'm on top of the world when wearing a skirt, then other days I just feel the world breathing down my back for the practice.
This is entirely natural and to be expected. My advice is not to fight it, and when you're not feeling "up to the challenge" of poking societal norms in the eye simply fall back to the default uniform. That's one of the joy of skirts "just being clothes" -- you can take them off and swap them for something else.

There are days when I just don't feel like going through the effort, and it's on days like that I'll switch back to trousers until the malaise dissipates. I find that fighting (1) doesn't make me feel any better and (2) I don't do as convincing a job of looking "normal" in a skirt as I do when I'm upbeat.

Just because you can wear something does not mean that you must.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:This is entirely natural and to be expected. My advice is not to fight it, and when you're not feeling "up to the challenge" of poking societal norms in the eye simply fall back to the default uniform. That's one of the joy of skirts "just being clothes" -- you can take them off and swap them for something else.

There are days when I just don't feel like going through the effort, and it's on days like that I'll switch back to trousers until the malaise dissipates. I find that fighting (1) doesn't make me feel any better and (2) I don't do as convincing a job of looking "normal" in a skirt as I do when I'm upbeat.

Just because you can wear something does not mean that you must.
Trouble is, there are only generally around four or five days in the month were I can wear a skirt all day, I hate to waste them. Those are the only days I have off. Often times I'll reserve my non-skirt days for family visits. Then there's the other issue, that I just physically don't want to wear pants, because all jokes and what not aside... they're just not comfortable. Sure I can tolerate them as I always did, but now that I know there's something *better*, I can't go back! I have taken a bite of the apple, and it was good. It's like before, when my groin was in a literal "pinch", I just figured.... "well... that's just the way it is". But now I know "it doesn't HAVE to be this way!"

One thing that has helped though, I am actually pretty comfortable with some of my skirts in public regardless of mood, and I will select those when I'm feeling like I just want to blend in. Granted, I realize that I'll never blend in wearing a skirt, but I suppose it's mostly psychological. My Macabi skirts, being marketed for men as well, are normally my choice for when I just want to lay low, yet still want to wear a skirt. Also, my newest addition to the "man's" skirt is the one I got from skirtcraft, it's another skirt than I feel comfortable wearing regardless of the circumstances. It's just something about that "it's for men too" tag that just makes it easy on the not so easy days....

The clothing industry needs more people like Joe, (finrod)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Another thing to consider... If you've any lightweight knee-length or shorter skirts, they typically fit nicely inside a pair of athletic shorts. I recently (as of last week) posted a shot of me in a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. Had to pull a fender from a car I've been parting out and didn't want to mess up a Utilikilt, since it's winter, and, while they can be washed, they can't really be tumble dried. So, wore the shorts. Underneath the shorts, I did have a red F21 pleated above-knee skirt. When I was done mucking around with the car, I slid them off, and hung them up in the garage, since I usually only wear them when working on a project out there.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:Also, my newest addition to the "man's" skirt is the one I got from skirtcraft, it's another skirt than I feel comfortable wearing regardless of the circumstances. It's just something about that "it's for men too" tag that just makes it easy on the not so easy days....

The clothing industry needs more people like Joe, (finrod)
I agree on the Skirtcraft skirt. I wore mine today on a long walk around the Presidio portion of the Golden Gate National Park. Started off with a bit of time in the sun reading at an overlook that looks out over the Pacific Ocean. It was warm and sunny enough today to wear sandals instead of shoes and long socks, so I even got some sun on my paper white lower legs. Then a walk of several miles more on sidewalks and trails passing and being passed by dozens of people also walking/riding bikes or in autos. I always carry the package of Skirtcraft cards that Joe provided, but no one has ever commented on my skirt.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

I have not been out in a skirt in a week maybe. partly because I haven't been going many places and partly for the weather. instead I have went out a few times in boot cut leggings. just to keep my nerve up really. where I live, I feel I must. and wearing them keeps me believing I can wear a skirt wherever. because guys just don't wear yoga pants here. and they are just as noticeable as a skirt in my opinion. so wearing them definitely reinforces my thinking that I can wear what I please almost anywhere. and they are comfortable too.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

skirtyscot wrote:Well done renesm1!

Are you employed or self-employed, and if the former, does your employer know you wear dresses on the company's time?
I'm self-employed. Here's a thought; if people ask why I'm wearing a dress, I could always say it is my company's dress code. I insisted on wearing this dress! :)