Seeking opinion on something....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Seeking opinion on something....

Post by moonshadow »

SkirtsDad wrote:Also, sometimes cameras pic up things that the eye doesn't notice in the same way, so it may be less of an issue than it appears.
It's not the camera. It really does bleed through that badly. When I tried it on in the bathroom, I only had the vanity light on, which may have affected my original take on the color bleed. Granted in low light situations, it may not be as noticeable, but get under some fluorescents, or a bright sunny day, and I'm sure it would stick out like a sore thumb. But regardless, the issue was corrected with a white tee, as noted later on in the thread.
SkirtsDad wrote:Will you wear it with tights underneath?

My only interest in tights is when cold weather dictates, as I personally find them somewhat cumbersome and uncomfortable. In the winter time, when I have to wear tights with skirts, it's less about comfort, and just more about "showing off my style". Not only that, but it makes urinating somewhat difficult with the extra layer to work through. I guess women are just used to pulling everything down anyway, but me, I've been standing to pee my whole life.

But anyway, the short answer is, the white dress I'm reserving for warmer weather, as in 70 degrees or higher, which probably won't be hitting untilaround late May. So no, I won't be wearing any tights. And if you've seen my legs, you'd agree there isn't any chance of a contrast bleed through! :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Another problem with light-coloured dresses is translucency. A bloke would not be able to get away with that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I do recall someone saying that about the only good thing about electing Hillary President would be seeing Bill waltzing around the White House in a slinky gown........ :D :laff:
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

crfriend wrote:Another problem with light-coloured dresses is translucency. A bloke would not be able to get away with that.
Yeah, that's where a full slip is a good idea. Makes it a bit more opague...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Another problem with light-coloured dresses is translucency. A bloke would not be able to get away with that.
Notice in the comments, some are "she needs to wear a slip or something", others are "I think the dress looks lovely".

Just depends on who's doing the viewing I suppose.

With the white shirt and the white skirt slip underneath, my dress should do nicely. But don't ever say that a girl can get away with something that I (a "bloke") can't. Otherwise, it unleashes this "Cosmo Kramer" bone in me, that just "has to do it because I CAN".

Moon Shadow don't do double standards too well.... :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Notice in the comments, some are "she needs to wear a slip or something", others are "I think the dress looks lovely".

I thought it vulgar, and I've got a dirty mind that rivals the worst (best?) of them. (That's one of the very few things the government can't confiscate.)
I'm just speaking of practicality here, and I don't know how the local police would respond to such a thing.

"Just sayin'"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:I'm just speaking of practicality here, and I don't know how the local police would respond to such a thing.

"Just sayin'"
Loophole: Skin colored leggings, skin colored shirt! "But officer, as you can see, I'm covered. OR, really short shorts underneath and a "wife beater" shirt. Hey... it's legit and totally in compliance with decency laws.

Argument no. 2: "If a woman can do it, why can't a man?"

If all else fails, pitch the judge the 14th amendment. He may still convict, but what can I say... justice wouldn't be served, and lady liberty would weep on that day, in addition to the cold hard realization that my blood is of the second class, because it courses through a males body.
-Andrea
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Notice in the comments, some are "she needs to wear a slip or something", others are "I think the dress looks lovely".

I thought it vulgar, and I've got a dirty mind that rivals the worst (best?) of them. (That's one of the very few things the government can't confiscate.)
I'm just speaking of practicality here, and I don't know how the local police would respond to such a thing.

"Just sayin'"
I couldn't see anything vulgar, and believe me I looked for it! I'm thinking your imagination is running away with you. Try standing in the snow for a while, in lieu of a cold shower. :roll:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Vulgar? Ehhh... maybe not the word I would use.... "revealing?" Now that's more what I'm thinking, but it has little to do with the "translucency" of the dress and more to do with the very deep "V" shaped top. In fact, I'd say it's not much of a top at all. The dress isn't my style due to the top half (bodice... or lack thereof) But the bottom half is within my tolerance level.
-Andrea
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:My only interest in tights is when cold weather dictates, as I personally find them somewhat cumbersome and uncomfortable. In the winter time, when I have to wear tights with skirts, it's less about comfort, and just more about "showing off my style". Not only that, but it makes urinating somewhat difficult with the extra layer to work through. I guess women are just used to pulling everything down anyway, but me, I've been standing to pee my whole life.
Well, for whatever it's worth, I love wearing tights in the winter, regardless of skirt length. Besides keeping my legs warm, they look darn good on me and aren't at all cumbersome or uncomfortable on me. In the spring and summer, I'll opt for pantyhose, depending on what I'm wearing, but in July and August when it's sweltering hot, I avoid hosiery. As for the bathroom issue, I have no problem with "pulling everything down" when in the privacy of a stall.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:
moonshadow wrote:My only interest in tights is when cold weather dictates, as I personally find them somewhat cumbersome and uncomfortable. In the winter time, when I have to wear tights with skirts, it's less about comfort, and just more about "showing off my style". Not only that, but it makes urinating somewhat difficult with the extra layer to work through. I guess women are just used to pulling everything down anyway, but me, I've been standing to pee my whole life.
Well, for whatever it's worth, I love wearing tights in the winter, regardless of skirt length. Besides keeping my legs warm, they look darn good on me and aren't at all cumbersome or uncomfortable on me. In the spring and summer, I'll opt for pantyhose, depending on what I'm wearing, but in July and August when it's sweltering hot, I avoid hosiery. As for the bathroom issue, I have no problem with "pulling everything down" when in the privacy of a stall.
Oh I like the way they look, they're just not my preference from a practical point of view. Also know that when the weather warms up, I enjoy romps through the woods and brambles. Back when I used to wear trousers year round (I seldom even worn shorts), I just naturally adjusted to blowing through any briar patch I came across. Last summer it was not uncommon for me to come home with my feet and lower legs all scratched up.

But those days are Macabi territory.

Yeah, wearing the white dress, you can imagine me prancing through an open field with butterflies and birds carrying ribbons about. Yep, that's my bag. 8)
-Andrea
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...My only interest in tights is when cold weather dictates, as I personally find them somewhat cumbersome and uncomfortable. In the winter time, when I have to wear tights with skirts, it's less about comfort, and just more about "showing off my style". Not only that, but it makes urinating somewhat difficult with the extra layer to work through. I guess women are just used to pulling everything down anyway, but me, I've been standing to pee my whole life.
When wearing tights with a kilt or a-line, I just pull the top of the tights down and my hem up, and that works even at public lavatory urinals.

Pencil skirts are more of a problem, because lifting the hem in front raises it too far in the back.

Helluva thing to talk about but oh well.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron