about town in a skater skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

about town in a skater skirt

Post by Bamaskirting »

I have not wore my skirt out in awhile. I got rained out of work today, so I figured today would be perfect for skirt wearing. I needed some felt wor a jewelry box, so I went to a couple big box craft stores. it definitely felt great to wear my skirt. I love the way the wind felt on my lower body, although it almost took me by surprise coming out of the store while purchasing a Coke.
I also went to old navy- not in a skirt- and looked at some of there stuff. they have a plaid skirt real cheap on clearance. So I must get that when I have the money. all in all it was a very pleasurable experience. especially the smiles I was getting from the sales associate at Michael's.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: about town in a skater skirt

Post by moonshadow »

Getting easier and easier isn't it?

Congrats!
:thewave:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Skater skirts are very comfortable and probably better than other short skirts for sitting as there is enough material to drape between the legs - but in a sudden gust of wind they can be quite ..... errr.. startling.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

denimini wrote:Skater skirts are very comfortable and probably better than other short skirts for sitting as there is enough material to drape between the legs - but in a sudden gust of wind they can be quite ..... errr.. startling.
Yes I found that out. But I was able to hold it down thankfully.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Bamaskirting wrote:
denimini wrote:Skater skirts are very comfortable and probably better than other short skirts for sitting as there is enough material to drape between the legs - but in a sudden gust of wind they can be quite ..... errr.. startling.
Yes I found that out. But I was able to hold it down thankfully.
that's probably what puts me off skater skirts :shock: when it's windy, I prefer the safety of a pencil skirt, knee length, it nay seem old fashioned, but at least it helps me not suffer wardrobe malfunctions... they may seem hard to move in, but a generous slit at the back compensates for how tight it may be. :wink: though I could be tempted by a skater dress when the weather warms up once spring is here :wink: I did like that blue one you have though 8)
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

The key to managing a short skirt, which is to say anything short enough that you have to make an effort to keep it from blowing up to reveal more of you than intended, is to dress as though you aren't going to wear it. Wear what you would not be embarrassed for people to see - tights, shorts, leggings, yoga pants, leotard, whatever - and then add the skirt over top of that. That way when, not if, a breeze blows it up too high the view will be neither unexpected nor unflattering.

Having said that, kitty's remark about a knee-length skirt being "old-fashioned" made me laugh (in an inward, self-deprecating way!) because I'm old enough that I think of a knee-length skirt as daring. From my point of view, my preference for ankle-length skirts is what makes me old-fashioned and your knee-length skirts are cutting-edge! But I also wear 'em billowy and full so there's not the problem of making it difficult to walk.
Ralph!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Ralph wrote:Having said that, kitty's remark about a knee-length skirt being "old-fashioned" made me laugh (in an inward, self-deprecating way!) because I'm old enough that I think of a knee-length skirt as daring.
I'm of that age group too. :shock: I can remember when a woman where I worked sometimes wore a skirt that was significantly above the knee. It drew appreciative looks from all of us young men. Now I see skirts of the same length or shorter and don't give them a second glance, they're so common.
The shortest skirt I normally wear out is my Skirtcraft which hits me mid to bottom of the knee depending on where my waist is that day. I've been wearing a mid-calf length skirt today with a rather gaudy pair of knee-highs. :lol: (ok: blue and white horizontal stripes, maybe not that gaudy.)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, perhaps I'm an old fashioned sort, but I like knee length skirts which, in my opinion, lend an air of sophistication, but, shorter skirts are cool too.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Ralph wrote:The key to managing a short skirt, which is to say anything short enough that you have to make an effort to keep it from blowing up to reveal more of you than intended, is to dress as though you aren't going to wear it. Wear what you would not be embarrassed for people to see - tights, shorts, leggings, yoga pants, leotard, whatever - and then add the skirt over top of that. That way when, not if, a breeze blows it up too high the view will be neither unexpected nor unflattering.

Having said that, kitty's remark about a knee-length skirt being "old-fashioned" made me laugh (in an inward, self-deprecating way!) because I'm old enough that I think of a knee-length skirt as daring. From my point of view, my preference for ankle-length skirts is what makes me old-fashioned and your knee-length skirts are cutting-edge! But I also wear 'em billowy and full so there's not the problem of making it difficult to walk.
That shortness with a billowly hem has disuaded me from skater skirts. My miniskirts have generally tighter hems. The closest I have are field hockey "kilts", and sports (tennis, running) skorts.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As of this writing, most of my skirts fall somewhere along the mid calf area. I have, I believe three skirts that are to the knee. Out of curiosity one day, I rolled the waist line on one of them and hiked it up to "short skirt" length just to see what it looked like....

Well, lets just say I liked what I saw for all the wrong reasons.... so I don't know if I want to go down that road! :lol:

Might have to start carrying around a can of pepper spray!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

well I just got my first compliment. I was hoping that would come from a lady, but I suppose it's better coming from a man. I needed a Coke, so I got dressed to go to the store. I wore a pink camo mini skirt and black opaque tights. I just wore a black man Nader armou jacket for the top. the cashier was a guy and he told me nice skirt. but he sounded sincere. we talked a few moments and then I left. can't complain. wasn't even nervous this time
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Bamaskirting wrote:well I just got my first compliment. I was hoping that would come from a lady, but I suppose it's better coming from a man. I needed a Coke, so I got dressed to go to the store. I wore a pink camo mini skirt and black opaque tights. I just wore a black man Nader armou jacket for the top. the cashier was a guy and he told me nice skirt. but he sounded sincere. we talked a few moments and then I left. can't complain. wasn't even nervous this time
Several years ago, I got a compliment from a couple of guys on a denim maxiskirt I wore and was quite pleased at that. I've found that if you dress tastefully and appropriately for the surroundings you're in, people will appreciate you for your presentation.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JeffB1959 wrote:I've found that if you dress tastefully and appropriately for the surroundings you're in, people will appreciate you for your presentation.
That is what I've found to be the case as well. Whilst most of the compliments I've received have been from women, some -- and some of the more gracious -- have been from men.

By the way, Jeff, that knit sweater-dress works extremely well on you. Bravo for that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I've never received a compliment from a man while wearing a skirt ( a few from women). But have while wearing a kilt.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Gordon wrote:I've never received a compliment from a man while wearing a skirt ( a few from women). But have while wearing a kilt.
I've heard it was like that. nobody ever says anything about a skirt. but a kilt garners all kinds of attention