Men's Cap sleeve t-shirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Potbelly MacKraken

Men's Cap sleeve t-shirts

Post by Potbelly MacKraken »

Anyone else a fan of cap sleeve t-shirts? I've always wished I could find a men's version of a women's t-shirt, tailored fit with cap sleeves, and someone finally made them in a non-exercise type shirt.

http://us.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ogId=33059

I just wish they had a bit of a scoop neck to them. I don't know why, but I've always liked the look of cap sleeves. Pair one of these shirts with a cardigan and skirt, or just a skirt, and you have a "formal" or "business" attire that society views as ok for women...so why not for men too? Also pair it with some jewelry like a shell necklace or some shell earrings, or even a kukui nut lei, and you got a work/church appropriate outfit without having to wear a tie or collared shirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men's Cap sleeve t-shirts

Post by r.m.anderson »

Not so much available for men mostly a women's yoga workout athletic shirt.

I too like the cap sleeve also sleeveless shirts and have found great success on Ebay.
Caution about the sizing - the upper torso area is smaller and therefore results in a tight
fit especially for the muscular male. Also caution about (Ebay) shirts from CHINA the Asian
women are so petite in this upper torso area it is like putting on a shirt for a youngster.
Also notable is the length of the shirt - you are getting short shirted in this area.
The hem length runs 24-26 inches barely giving room to tuck anything in at all.
If wearing a kilt not so much a problem since the kilt is normally worn at or near the
navel - but for skirts especially with a low rise there is going to be potential waist mid-riff exposure !

Check with athletic sports stores for the cap or sleeveless shirts. Hint check under the
category of Volleyball shirts while these may be in other than solid colors
I have found
this to work as an alternative and solves the length problem.

Regarding the neck line I am not so much enamored with the scoop drop neck fashion
that is revealing for the female bosom that is not my cup of tea and as always here at the
SkirtCafe any clothing item worn is your own preference YMMV.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I have found some scoop- and v-neck t-shirts at ASOS (in GB, I think, bought online; I think their sizing is the opposite of Chinese, though ASOS goods are probably made in China. From GB, I look for S, XS, even XXS; from China L or XL !!!).
Cap sleeves seem to have vanished, unfortunately, but I think sleeveless is getting more acceptable these days.

Martin
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It's funny because I never really noticed this difference in men's and women's t-shirts until I started shopping the woman's isle for skirts. I don't much care for this style for the reasons mentioned above, they are just too small for my torso, and I find that if I bend over, or stretch in any given direction, they don't offer me the flexibility that a man's t-shirt offers. A lot of dresses have this type of top, and it's often a reason for me putting it back on the rack, even if everything else about the dress fits fine.

I don't have a problem with the style though, and I will admit, I'm somewhat vexed about why this too is something "for women only" (save for the links you posted above), whereas women can choose from either side.... Then again, it's easier to fit in something that's too big verses too small, which could also be an underlying reason why women can fit into men's clothes easier than men can fit into women's clothes.

Like cutting a 2X4.... if it the cut is too long, just whack a little off the bottom.... if you cut off too much... well... back to the lumber yard you go!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

moonshadow wrote:It's funny because I never really noticed this difference in men's and women's t-shirts until I started shopping the woman's isle for skirts. I don't much care for this style for the reasons mentioned above, they are just too small for my torso, and I find that if I bend over, or stretch in any given direction, they don't offer me the flexibility that a man's t-shirt offers. A lot of dresses have this type of top, and it's often a reason for me putting it back on the rack, even if everything else about the dress fits fine.

I don't have a problem with the style though, and I will admit, I'm somewhat vexed about why this too is something "for women only" (save for the links you posted above), whereas women can choose from either side.... Then again, it's easier to fit in something that's too big verses too small, which could also be an underlying reason why women can fit into men's clothes easier than men can fit into women's clothes.

Like cutting a 2X4.... if it the cut is too long, just whack a little off the bottom.... if you cut off too much... well... back to the lumber yard you go!

What we have here is the classic mistake made by novice constructionists - a violation of a rule of carpentering and woodworking:

"MEASURE TWICE AND CUT ONCE" !

-OR-

Trying on the same piece of clothing that did not fit the first time is not going to make it fit any better.

In another respect women God Bless'em have that hour glass figure which with a "T" shirt or type of top
have that snug fit around the (normal) waist and the hem just stops there. So men that is why you are
short Tee-d and pulling stitches out of the waist band hem unless you have those fabulous abs and are
sucking it in ! LOL !
Have to admit that we are built different. Of course you could go up a few sizes into the PLUS (1X-2X-etc)
category but then again there is that problem of not enough length. Fine if you are wearing a high waisted
skirt ah er Kilt worn at the navel but with the low rise waist things that are so fashionable these days you
have this opening below the mid-riff and that ain't cutting it !

Some things are NOT to be - Que sara sara !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I don't think I have ever seen a cap sleeve t-shirt that wasn't cut for a woman s curves, which means low neckline. Definable not going to look right on a man. I have never found a womans top that would fit a man, the proportions are all off.

:ugeek:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Go to Ebay and Search - cap sleeve t shirt - currently there are over 91k items in auction.

Posted 3 images here for reference -

Number 1 is what I vision as the standard cap sleeve t shirt with waist length torso
The number 2 image shows the wide scoop neckline.
Number 3 has a rather long torso and cut in the hour glass shape.

Some men's muscle shirts are structured in a similar cut.

Yes phathack - the proportions are all off - too much bulk topside of the hour glass
and at the bottom - as for the middle - the sand draining away in an hours time would
more than likely be gone in a few seconds - what a Waist ? LOL !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

phathack wrote:I don't think I have ever seen a cap sleeve t-shirt that wasn't cut for a woman s curves, which means low neckline. Definable not going to look right on a man. I have never found a womans top that would fit a man, the proportions are all off.
Shirts marketed to women (left buttons) often seem to fit me better. The short sleeves don't go past my elbows, and they are not overly long. I don't like things tight around my neck, and my beard covers my neckline anyway. ImageI wore this shirt to church today.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

I don't mind cap sleeves, but what bothers me is the length -- too short. Often right at the waist, making a strip of skin often visible. Another reason to try on before buying… and search out Tall sizes.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtingtheissue wrote:I don't mind cap sleeves, but what bothers me is the length -- too short. Often right at the waist, making a strip of skin often visible. Another reason to try on before buying… and search out Tall sizes.
This makes me think of a small trend I seem to recall of young men wearing "half shirts" back in the 80's. Of course, with my age being in the single digits during 9 out of 10 of those years, I didn't notice much, only looking back at some photo's on the internet and music video's of the day. However at the time, I was too preoccupied with Sesame Street and He-Man.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.