The most logical modern day garment for a man

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Potbelly MacKraken

Re: The most logical modern day garment for a man

Post by Potbelly MacKraken »

If it's dresses for men that you are looking for, check out some of these crew neck, cotton nightshirts for men, that are essentially the male version of the female T-shirt dress:

http://www.wittmanntextiles.com/nightshirts.html

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/stor ... rts/101422

You may be able to dress them up for out and about wear, perhaps...or just wear them at home.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Suspenders (braces/shoulder-types) would not help with dresses, but certainly could with skirts -- especially if something is worn over said hardware (or not, if one wants to make a fashion-statement). I would wear the braces concealed under a waistcoat. The trick would be keeping fitted waists from bunching up and adversely affecting the drape of the skirt.

I could have used a set on Halloween. For a party, I decided to wear my floor-length black pleated skirt. The only problem is that the last time I wore it was in January or so, and thanks to the stress I've been under since July have lost close to 20 pounds and a size or two since. Suspenders would have solved the problem of the thing wanting to go south on me at every possible moment. I wound up jerry-rigging a belt to hold it up, and am glad I did. The skirt attracted a lot of attention and more than a few positive comments.

I may have turned the corner on the weight problem; over the past few months I've gone from 180 (pounds) or so to the 160s, bottoming out a couple of weeks ago at just about 160. I seem to be back up to about 165, which is welcome. However, at 6'4" tall, I still have a way to go. I'm naturally thin, but this is ridiculous. (I weighed 150 during secondary school and looked cadaverous; I do not want to go there again.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Caultron wrote:
Jim wrote:Another option from a dress that helps with the waist-hip size dilemma would be suspenders...
Since a dress already hangs from the shoulders, what good would suspenders do?
Sorry, I did not phrase that well. Clearer would be, "An alternative to a dress that would deal with the waist-hip dilemma would be suspenders with a skirt." In hot weather I often take off my shirt. The tightness around the waist required to hold up a skirt (or pants) is hot. My guess is that suspenders would allow a loose comfortable waistline. That is a different choice from a dress used for the same purpose, and allows topfreedom.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:
Judah14 wrote:Well at least if you wear the dress by itself, then it would be more like a Biblical character costume than part of Arab traditional dress (though they are practically interchangabe as I have seen artwork of Biblical characters in what is essentialy Arab dress), right?
In my opinion, you are correct. However as is evident elsewhere in this forum, it's clear that I don't stay "in the closet" for long on anything. Basically once I find out something fits right, I head out the door and find a downtown to walk in. It's just who I am. I value my freedom, and I challenge all of these "patriots" in this area to put their money where their mouth is and leave me alone to enjoy my freedom as I choose.

I will give it some consideration. All freedom aside, I'm kicking around if the Arab robe is my style. In fact, just today I have been debating on actually wearing my Wiccan robe more often in public.... just because... It's different. I've seen NOBODY, not men or women wear one of these things (the Wiccan robe) casually. To tell you the truth, I've wanted to do it for years, ever since I bought the thing. Just never had the guts. Thanks to the skirts, and the confidence that have given me, I think I may just give it a go.

Will it look silly? Probably to most, but I maintain it is a very elegant garment.

Harry Potter fans, eat your heart out!

Here is the full ensemble:
I don't know the exact date this was taken, the original 1.3 mb file says it was created in September of 2012.

I'll leave the hood down while in public. I'm wearing a enclosed green robe under, with a cord tied around the waist.

Why do I want to wear this?

Because nobody else does!

I've worn this twice in public, both on Halloweens. One Halloween I took it into the grocery store.... even on Halloween I took in quite a few stares!

I think it's time to put some more miles on this old garment. The fact that it's already paid for and sitting in my closet as I write this also helps.

Nice Wiccan outfit, I would wear that too,it looks like a wizard's outfit,maybe grow a nice long beard to go with it
and what do you mean nobody else wears wiccan robes/kaftans out in public I have and I do like them
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ron wrote:Nice Wiccan outfit, I would wear that too,it looks like a wizard's outfit,maybe grow a nice long beard to go with it
and what do you mean nobody else wears wiccan robes/kaftans out in public I have and I do like them
Well, I stand corrected. Although I've never personally witnessed it! :)

Funny thing, I took it out last night and just wore it around the house for a bit, and since I've gotten so used to wearing skirts (of considerably lighter fabric) I found the robe to be "more heavy" than I seem to remember it. I'm thinking I might wear it out once in a while as more of a novelty, not so much for comfort. Not that it's uncomfortable, but it's no where near as breezy and easy to wear as my skirts.

I like your robe too!

Peace

-Moon
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:
Ron wrote:Nice Wiccan outfit, I would wear that too,it looks like a wizard's outfit,maybe grow a nice long beard to go with it
Well, I stand corrected. Although I've never personally witnessed it! :)

Funny thing, I took it out last night and just wore it around the house for a bit, and since I've gotten so used to wearing skirts (of considerably lighter fabric) I found the robe to be "more heavy" than I seem to remember it. I'm thinking I might wear it out once in a while as more of a novelty, not so much for comfort. Not that it's uncomfortable, but it's no where near as breezy and easy to wear as my skirts.

I like your robe too!

Peace

-Moon

Thanks,and I am finding that I am liking kaftans more than skirts as no tight belt around my waist
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ron wrote:Thanks,and I am finding that I am liking kaftans more than skirts as no tight belt around my waist
You're robe looks comfortable. Is it a light weight fabric?
no tight belt around my waist
Yep, which was the idea behind this thread, that robes, kaftan's, dresses, etc, seem to be a logical choice for a man. While I still enjoy wearing skirts, and have no plans to stop, I have to honestly say I'm starting to look more seriously at full body garments.

I was just looking over a tarot deck I purchased a few weeks ago, and I've noticed several drawings of men on the cards wearing tunics.

Personally, I'd like to see a throwback to some of the old styles.... like 1,000 years ago or better... just for fun. Why not? Clothes are just clothes right?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:
Ron wrote:Thanks,and I am finding that I am liking kaftans more than skirts as no tight belt around my waist
You're robe looks comfortable. Is it a light weight fabric?
no tight belt around my waist
Yep, which was the idea behind this thread, that robes, kaftan's, dresses, etc, seem to be a logical choice for a man. While I still enjoy wearing skirts, and have no plans to stop, I have to honestly say I'm starting to look more seriously at full body garments.

I was just looking over a tarot deck I purchased a few weeks ago, and I've noticed several drawings of men on the cards wearing tunics.

Personally, I'd like to see a throwback to some of the old styles.... like 1,000 years ago or better... just for fun. Why not? Clothes are just clothes right?

yes it is a light weight fabric,I would also love to have some kaftans like these
the heavy wool fabric would be good for cold winter days.
but I do agree the clothing styles 2000-5000 years ago were a lot more interesting than nowdays
also these could be nice too,
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

But - But - But - Butt all dem BUTTONS on the Cardinal's frock - man the patience of Job to button that one !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote:But - But - But - Butt all dem BUTTONS on the Cardinal's frock - man the patience of Job to button that one !
I suspect that most of the buttons are decorative, and that the real closure is a zipper.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Caultron wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:But - But - But - Butt all dem BUTTONS on the Cardinal's frock - man the patience of Job to button that one !
I suspect that most of the buttons are decorative, and that the real closure is a zipper.
even if all the buttons are real you would not have to undo all of them,
you would just need to undo the top few so you could slip it on and off over your head
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Photograph number 1 is my favorite above all. Even though it's probably meant to have trousers on underneath, still it's an awesome look!
-Andrea
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:Photograph number 1 is my favorite above all. Even though it's probably meant to have trousers on underneath, still it's an awesome look!

this one? Image
also doesn't hurt that he is a cutie guy too
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ron wrote:this one?
That would be the one!
-Andrea
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I agree, that looks great and comfortable as well. Not well endowed with pockets though!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!