Formal Fridays

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Formal Fridays

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:Don't know of they [my current employer] will be expanding to the west coast in my lifetime. But my wife and I have discussed a change in scenery in the next five to ten years. Based on your post, in addition to some other research and opinions I've read, the west coast is looking better and better. The acceptance and politeness you describe in your ventures out and about frankly make me somewhat green with envy.
Do your research very carefully Moon. The west coast cities that I and others post from and find acceptance in are very expensive. The only reason I can live here is I moved back to SF in 1992 and live in a rent stabilized apartment. Even so, my rent has increased ~40% in that time. But it would probably cost a newcomer 2.5 to 3 times what I pay.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:..the west coast is looking better and better...
Don't do anything drastic. Take vacations to a few cities first and try some indicative situations. You may find out that people, including you, are much the same everywhere.

Today, in Phoenix, AZ, I went to a restaurant, a used record store, and a Target store wearing a black and blue sweater, a khaki Skirtcraft skirt, navy blue tights, clunky brown 3" heels, and a shoulder-strap messenger bag. There were no negative comments. Most people didn't notice or didn't care. I did get some once-overs, some smiles, some raised eyebrows, and some frowns. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Is it really so different in Virginia?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:Don't do anything drastic. Take vacations to a few cities first and try some indicative situations. You may find out that people, including you, are much the same everywhere.
We will, as just as skirted_in_SF pointed out, I have heard of higher cost of living out that way. Much research will be done before hand. We've got time. Logic implies though, anywhere there are people living, it's possible to live there.
Caultron wrote:Is it really so different in Virginia?
I'm not really sure... Having been very few other places, and virtually no other places skirted... I don't really have a good frame of reference to make an assumption. I think the tidewater region (the eastern side of the state) is generally more liberal that the western side of the state. However northern Virginia has the same problem skirted_in_SF pointed out, very high cost of living. Plus I don't fancy living that close to all those Washington politicians.

Basically, besides the occasional wise crack, or grumbling threat, people mostly leave me alone around here. I feel comfortable wearing skirts pretty much anywhere, even deep in the coal fields where the phones don't work. My issue with this area is their politics. Keep in mind, I'm less than a mile from the Tennessee border, and while Tennessee has some very favorable tax law, their policies on the rights of less conservative people leaves MUCH to be desired.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

In my younger days I travelled quite a bit and my advice was to spend at least a year at each location. That way you can experience all 4 seasons and you will know what to expect.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

In reference to "Cost-Of-Living" I'll offer the following............

Last year we sold my mother-in-law's home. The person who
purchased the home(in Texas) came from the Los Angeles area.
He sold his 1 home in California - purchased 10 homes in the
Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Some will be rental properties. The one
we sold has become his primary residence.

My home listed at $142,000.00 and I paid $136.00.00 for it.
My home, if in California, would be between $1.5 to $4.0 Million
depending on location. That's a 2385 sq. ft. home. My previous
home at 1800 sq. ft. would be $800,000.00 to $1.2 Million. I paid
$64,000.00 for it as our 'starter' home.

You know the old saying - - Money Talks and B/S Walks.

If you can afford a 'decent' home in California, you should
be living in a mansion in Virginia ;)

That's my $.02 worth :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

A house that size would be around 190k to 225k here, depending on lot, amenities and location. It should be more, but the area has overbuilt lately, a consequence of low interest rates and a lack of long term business penalties for reckless developers. In Wilmington, add 30k to 40k to that price; land there is more precious.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Houses in Phoenix are going for an average of $130/square foot. So, 2000 square foot house, $260,000. But of course, the better the neighborhood, the higher the price.

A lot of people move here from California because for the price of a tool shed in LA or SF you can buy a mansion here.

The job market, however, is tough. Four out of five people who move here move back out within two years.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Caultron wrote:A lot of people move here from California because for the price of a tool shed in LA or SF you can buy a mansion here.
But the cost to air condition a mansion in Phoenix summer will pay my rent in SF. :)
Caultron wrote:The job market, however, is tough. Four out of five people who move here move back out within two years.
Been there, done that. Exchange Seattle for Arizona, late 90s for now and three years for two and you'll have a slice of my life. Not a single interview and little, low paid temp work the last year.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »