A dress happened

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A dress happened

Post by moonshadow »

I have to agree (then again, my opinion would be biased in this regard... I do like that look on me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The black one looks a lot beter, even with the neckline. I just received a dress I ordered, black, short hemmed, with crochet embroidered longitudinal bands on the shoulders/sleeves. It has a tighter neck and a short back zip. ill post a pic when I am not too lazy to screw my camera onto my tripod...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Check out Moonshadows pic on the "nice skirt, bro" website. Looking good, Moon!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:Check out Moonshadows pic on the "nice skirt, bro" website. Looking good, Moon!
Cool! I was wondering if they were going to post it. I notice it's been reblogged a few times.

Upon checking the site, I see a dress that I'm TOTALLY digging! Not much on the shoulder decorations, but I LOVE the flare of the lower part of the dress...

Now THAT is bad a_s!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

WOW! That IS amazing!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

As a work of art it's quite something. However, how much of a hassle would it be to wear in real life. But, then again, we can look at some of the more extreme examples from the latter half of the 19th century, or, perhaps even more hilarious, some of the styles pre-French-Revolution.

I have a few skirts that flare out quite a bit, and they can be a bit of work to manage when negotiating small spaces. It's a cool-looking piece, but not something I'd care to wear to work.

Also, it's sad to see that "heroin chic" is still in vogue. The drugged-out skinhead look is one that simply does not appeal to me one whit.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Also, it's sad to see that "heroin chic" is still in vogue. The drugged-out skinhead look is one that simply does not appeal to me one whit.
Agreed. As one who's never partaken in recreation drugs, I always thought that while the mainstream may feel it's "sexy".... I always thought it looked trashy.

Also not much on the "skinny white boy with a shaved head" (aka "skinhead") look either.

Nope... none of my recreational activities were ever selected to "be cool", or "fit in".... I actually prefer and strive to be the proverbial square peg in a sea of round holes. Which is perhaps one reason I enjoy wearing skirts so much.

My neighbor (bless his heart) has just such a "skinhead" look. He's friendly, and maybe shaves his head because he could be mostly bald anyway. But we notice how he constantly mows his grass with his shirt off, bald head, and looking all buff and "tough guy". :lol:

I get out and mow mine and steal his thunder with my Macabi! :D And yes, I always wear a shirt!
-Andrea
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:As a work of art it's quite something. However, how much of a hassle would it be to wear in real life. But, then again, we can look at some of the more extreme examples from the latter half of the 19th century, or, perhaps even more hilarious, some of the styles pre-French-Revolution.

I have a few skirts that flare out quite a bit, and they can be a bit of work to manage when negotiating small spaces. It's a cool-looking piece, but not something I'd care to wear to work.

Also, it's sad to see that "heroin chic" is still in vogue. The drugged-out skinhead look is one that simply does not appeal to me one whit.
I think it could be called that if the model was female, but never seen it applied to a male. Anyway, I don't care for the dress. I cant imagine any possible place for that sort of garment except the fashion runway.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, as I said, my biggest gripe with the dress is the top, shoulders, and arms. Way to much going on up there.

Also, I can't really tell, but it looks like it's open on the front. If that's the case, then naturally I'd like it to be closed, like a normal dress. Bodice area seems just right, almost as though it was made for a man's chest.
-Andrea
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I don't know if I previously mentioned this, but I bought three sweater dresses from JCPenney last week, and they all look pretty good on me and I'm excited to wear them on outings as soon as possible. I think I may have found my niche with sweater dresses which drape well on me and are nicely snug but not form fitting, still, I haven't ruled out wearing a bodycon, just to see what it's like.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Another dress happened....

I think this one is a pretty good fit. Possibly one of my better choices... well actually Jenn picked it out. Snatched it up at the GoodWill in Abingdon.

Actually I'm not really buying too many skirts at this time unless I find something that really takes my breath away. I'm finding that I'm wanting to collect some tops to go with some of my bottoms. And not just tanks, I've also been getting some short sleeved shirts from the other side of the isle as I feel they look better with skirts than those big clunky men's shirts. Ladies shirts, to me anyway seen to accentuate the hips and thighs, which IMO is a "fitting" (pardon the pun) look for a skirt.

I've also been seeking some vest as I'm really trying to put together a Carl look. Saw an awesome black one today, and if it weren't for my belly being slightly large, it would have fit, but alas... no go.

Yes my legs are very pasty, no do not attempt to adjust your monitor. I'm probably going to burn like hell this summer! :twisted:
-Andrea