Starting to go to work in a skirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Starting to go to work in a skirt

Post by skirtyscot »

Well done Jeffrey!

Did you meet with any resistance from HR, or were they OK with the idea straight away?

Must say though, everyone at my work would think it very odd if I turned up dressed like that. Lab coat in an accountant's office? No way! :lol: As for the skirt and tights, I look forward to the day ...
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jeffreyrichards2015

Post by jeffreyrichards2015 »

crfriend wrote:I like the lab shot. 'Tis a good look you're sporting.

I have to ask, though. That looks like some pretty heavy-duty imaging kit you're sitting next to. What do you do? Immediate thoughts are either biology or materials-science...
Thanks. That is a rather old SEM. That job was looking at concrete, but it can be any type of sample.
Life's too short to worry, just get on with it.
jeffreyrichards2015

skirtyscot wrote:Well done Jeffrey!

Did you meet with any resistance from HR, or were they OK with the idea straight away?

Must say though, everyone at my work would think it very odd if I turned up dressed like that. Lab coat in an accountant's office? No way! :lol: As for the skirt and tights, I look forward to the day ...
Thanks. No there was no problem at all from HR right from the outset. This is part of the reply I received "You are fully protected by the legislation and xxxx would fully support you.... the Equality Statement and the Bullying and Harassment Policy would be sufficient to deal with any potential fallout..." So a very positive attitude.

Accountants' office might require a different approach, I agree. I don't know if people here follow http://legstyle.blogspot.co.uk, but this guy has some good corporate looks that you might want to try.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:Thanks.
Credit where credit is due! The look is entirely appropriate to the setting, looks comfortable and eminently wearable, and you look happy and confident in it. As such, it looks very much "at home". Well done.
That is a rather old SEM.
I thought it was a SEM. Age, in many things, doesn't really matter so long as the operator knows what he's doing and the machine is in good repair. I routinely run computers that are well over 20 years old and behave entirely as their designers intended. Some of my personal front-line machines are getting up into that bracket as well, and not just the "museum pieces" (like this one which recently celebrated its 43rd "birthday"). In fact, the machine that serves as the primary off-site backup for the SkirtCafe database and intrusion-detection host is almost 20 years old -- and still functions as her designers intended.
That job was looking at concrete, but it can be any type of sample.
So, "materials science" is was for that job. But, yes, those tools are appropriate in many settings.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jerevo

Post by Jerevo »

Great to hear (read)!

I'm gradually working up to working skitted myself - first step was a pair of denim-look leggings last week. I have high hopes of going the whole way (the tech side of a price-comparison website is a pretty easy-going place).

J
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:...A photo in my lab on day three of wearing a skirt to work...
Good show, and the tights as well!

The combination with the lab coat works very well.

The hard part should now be over. Just keep it up!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Jerevo wrote:...I'm gradually working up to working skitted myself - first step was a pair of denim-look leggings last week. I have high hopes of going the whole way (the tech side of a price-comparison website is a pretty easy-going place).
Good first step!

So, you just wore the leggings? No pants or shorts or anything else below the waist?

Cuz if that went ok, wearing, say, a knee-length skirt or utility kilt over the leggings seems pretty nonconsequential.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:No there was no problem at all from HR right from the outset. This is part of the reply I received "You are fully protected by the legislation and xxxx would fully support you.... the Equality Statement and the Bullying and Harassment Policy would be sufficient to deal with any potential fallout..." So a very positive attitude.

Everyone in the UK is protected by that law ... in theory!
Last edited by skirtyscot on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtyscot wrote:
jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:No there was no problem at all from HR right from the outset. This is part of the reply I received "You are fully protected by the legislation and xxxx would fully support you.... the Equality Statement and the Bullying and Harassment Policy would be sufficient to deal with any potential fallout..." So a very positive attitude.

Everyone in the UK is protected by that law ... in theory!
That's true. However, my employers staff handbook includes the following:
Whilst we have no objection to female employees wearing suits or trousers, it is not permissible for
male employees to wear women's clothing and/or clothing that would normally only be worn by
women.
Whilst this is almost certainly illegal, a frontal assault on it is likely to be doomed to failure. Instead, I have continued with a softly, softly approach. A number of my colleagues have seen me (off the clock) in skirts of various designs. The subject has come up at work informally and I've happily engaged with the ribbing and micky taking and, at an appropriate point in time, I will use a charity day to try a kilt and see what happens next.

When there is something to report, I will share it here, but don't hold your breath. I need this job more than I need to wear skirts to work and that reality will continue to influence my clothing choices in the office.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
jeffreyrichards2015

Caultron wrote:
jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:...A photo in my lab on day three of wearing a skirt to work...
Good show, and the tights as well!

The combination with the lab coat works very well.

The hard part should now be over. Just keep it up!
Thanks I will!

Here's today's outfit. Very comfy. This is me for the rest of my working life now.
I got few stares from some students as I was walking around the campus, but nothing more than that. Most didn't even register it.
(for tech-heads, guess the instrumentation!)
lab4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:(for tech-heads, guess the instrumentation!)
Some sort of auto-sampling G.C.?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
jeffreyrichards2015

pelmut wrote:
jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:(for tech-heads, guess the instrumentation!)
Some sort of auto-sampling G.C.?
2 marks for an auto-sampler.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:... Here's today's outfit. Very comfy. This is me for the rest of my working life now.
I got few stares from some students as I was walking around the campus, but nothing more than that. Most didn't even register it.
(for tech-heads, guess the instrumentation!)
That look is great - so natural. 8) :D

And you are finding out very few notice at all and even less bother about it! 8) :D
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:This is me for the rest of my working life now.

Excellent. Lucky you!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jeffreyrichards2015

Tell me if this is getting tedious or I shall just keep posting pics of my work outfits day by day.
It's as much a record for me as anything else, but also to get some feedback on what people out there think works, and what doesn't.

coffee time!
work-skirt-day6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.