On the street...NYC--The Sartorialist

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
KasparHauser

On the street...NYC--The Sartorialist

Post by KasparHauser »

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/o ... w-york-36/

164 comments on a picture of a man in a skirt on the streets of NYC. Some of them even about the fashion choices pictured.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: On the street...NYC--The Sartorialist

Post by Caultron »

Pretty cool thread, worth the read.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've followed The Sartorialist on and off for a good many years, and this isn't the first time he's put a man wearing a skirt front and center. This is actually one of the better ones, although I happen to think that the skirt hits pretty much precisely at an awkward point on the subject -- just a shade either longer or shorter might have made all the difference. I read through the comments, and most of them are worthy of The Daily Mail, which is unsurprising, really, when one takes into account the herd mentality of both society and various web-sites.

Kudos, though, to the chap for having the stones to wear it. Every little bit helps.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I beg to differ, Carl. I like that length. It covers the knees, which I think gives a certain elegance, knees generally not being the most beauteous of things. But it stops short of that mid-calf "old lady" length. And on a personal note, I like the extra coverage it gives when sitting down. The couple of inches of fabric which hang down in front of the knees make any flashing unlikely!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have no problems with the look. Only issue is that I don't like high-waisted styles on men. Or women, really.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have to say that I don't like much about that look.

To my eyes:

* The skirt is too high waisted and of an awkward length. The fabric looks like something my grandmother would have worn.

* The combination of a necktie with a casual polo shirt just jars and the patterns / textures on the shirt, tie and skirt make it all look rather messy and uncoordinated.

* The shoes look odd with no socks

* The necklace looks strange with a tie, like he could not decide which to wear so went for both.

* The bag (purse) looks awkward

Having said all that; good luck to him. It is entirely up to him how he dresses and if he has the confidence to wear that who am I to knock it?

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Yes, the look of the outfit is "too busy" for my liking. Different patterns from the shirt and polo skirt and a necklace don't really go well togather. I agree it does seem to be uncoordinated.

I am fine with the skirt itself (the waist-line must be similar to tartan kilts or UK's) though I personally don't like longer than knee-length. A few inches shorter would be ideal.

I never wear a tie to work these days and only very occasionally wear one with a kilt. A matching tartan tie with a kilt for instance is OK in my opinion 8) - but don't tell the "Tartan Police" about that! :shock: or a black tie with a black UK for a funeral I attended is fine. 8)

Women can wear heavy shoes without soxks so why not men? Dark opaques tights would go well (not sure if he is wearing any or not)

The polo short is fine as well, but with a plain skirt and no tie.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

For my sins I would second Ian Milfmog's comments, in that practically nothing works well for that particular 'sartorialist' Less skirt length, lower more relaxed waist, more shirt, no necklace, What's the tie for?, and sockless bovver shoes, no. The bag should be cross-shoulder and hang lower, if he must have one. Most guys have trapezius muscles atop the shoulder that cancel out the 'notch' girls have for wearing shoulder bags, so they slip off.

I envy him all his hair though, but he's about a third my age!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Personally, and as some of you know, I'm quite a amateur at style, but I think that with his frame, he needs something fuller. The outfit he has on is too slim. He seems to have a large head, arms, and feet, yet everything in the middle seems small. I think it's an illusion. He most likely has the body to rock a proper skirt, however what he is wearing is squeezing the middle and seems to be pushing out both ends.

Maybe try a good A line skirt, less noisy top, loose the tie and the purse. The shoes don't bother me. Like most men, he probably has big feet.

Not to come off as mean, but with the size of his head and limbs, I don't think pencils are for him. He needs something that will make the area between his breast and knees match the rest of his body. I too believe my head is too big and doesn't match the rest of my body.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

like others said, one can discuss the style. Different tastes give different styles. Maybe if the photo had beenn in colours instead of b&w (many shades of gray...) it could have given a different impression.
And as the navy handbook says, man's knee is not a thing of beauty. I.m.o. to many styles are mixed.