Custom dresses, your opinions please.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Custom dresses, your opinions please.

Post by partlyscot »

I've been on the lookout for a dress that I feel that I can wear. I find it more difficult than a skirt, because a dress will often have a neckline and shape that are trying to show off female features, (bust, cleavage, narrow waist) that I'm not trying for. My OH has place a few orders with an online service out of India, eshakti.com and has been very happy with the speed, quality, and fit of the results. (so have !!, very flattering to her figure) I asked, and they said they have done dresses for men as well, possibly for crossdressing purposes, I didn't ask.

So, I am going to be ordering one or two this week. This is one I am looking at. http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dress/Manda ... -CL0035322 with either a short, or elbow length sleeve, and knee length. How do you feel that would work? And are there any others you could think workable? Different dresses have different customising options, not all possibilities are available for all dresses.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Custom dresses, your opinions please.

Post by r.m.anderson »

Needing a collar look for a Polo Shirt/Dress.
Search Ebay POLO SHIRT DRESS for illustration.

If not a "T" shirt dress may work (nothing more than a oversize {length} beach 'T' shirt).
Search Ebay "T" SHIRT DRESS for illustration.

In both cases sleeveless; cap or short sleeves can alter change the appearance.

These type of dresses more or less emphasize the "A" frame hem bottom and a semi-form fit for the upper torso.

Make sure you get adequate length coverage - but with the amount of material it should drape between the legs for modesty.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I think either short of full sleeves would tend to appear less "feminine" because those lengths are more commonly seen on "men's" clothing. Looking at the options, however, the short looks a bit on the short side, so depending on your arm length you might find elbow to work well. The collar isn't one I'd wear (well, perhaps with a button or two undone), but if you don't mind it I think it will work fine. Do try to get a real length on "knee length" to be sure it will land where you expect.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

The required information for custom fit, should give a fairly accurate length. I'm thinking the short sleeve would give more of a t shirt look. initially, it would get used with a "uniform" vest, at work. Bit of an experiment from several viewpoints. They come up with different designs and fabrics on a fairly regular basis. I will keep my eyes open for another option.