Has the attention on transgendered individuals helped us?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Has the attention on transgendered individuals helped us

Post by dillon »

I really like the term one of the SC members suggested, and forgive me for forgetting which member coined the term. The term was "gender independent". To me, it carries a subtle strength that implies pride in our choices.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There is a positive article in today's Daily Mail's You magazine on Jazz Jennings who was diagnosed with body dysphoria at age 3, as she says, "I have a girl brain in a boy body." Along with the article there is the usual Ten tips. With acknowledgement may I present 10 tips for skirt wearers:
1. You can't tell if someone is a closet skirt wearer just by looking at them when they aren't wearing a skirt. Don't just conclude that they would be against a male skirt until they voice their objections.
2. You shouldn't make assumptions about a person's sexual orientation. Just because a man wears a skirt it doesn't mean that he is gay, transvestite etc. Don't put them in any of these boxes.
3. If you're not sure how to address a male skirt wearer then just treat them honestly and straightforwardly. Be sincere when asking them about their dress choice ( and it will probably be ok to ask them ).
4. You should never "out" a skirt wearer. Talk to them privately - they will wear a skirt in public when they are ready and have the confidence to do so.
5. Backhanded compliments can still be hurtful and ill-judged humour can often result in a smack in the mouth. So don't.
6. Public skirt wearing is a transitioning process, so be patient - we've all been through it and worked our way at our won pace. Generally ahead of those closest to us.
7. There is no "right" way to transition to wearing a skirt in public. What works for one may not work for another and our confidence levels vary and so does our ability to go public. Sometimes a particular skirt may be appropriate but another day generate uncertainty.
8. A person's genitals underneath the skirt are no-one else's business. What matters is not what's between your legs but what's between your ears and your own personal reasons for wearing a skirt.
9. Support gender-neutral situations and organisations. We are all on the rainbow of gender and sexuality so we should support those others that defy the conventions.
10. It's your job to listen. You can't choose who someone is so you have to listen to what they say. They are the only ones who know how they feel inside, who they want to be and who they actually are. Their reasons are their own and will likely be different to you own. Empathise

Incidentally there's a current Fosters Why the Hell Not advert that shows the only male member of a rugby cheerleader group practicing with the girls and performing out on the field. He is shown being humiliated by his father making a comment about pom-poms but later being with the guys in the pub. Just another little chip away at the gender norms.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Sinned wrote: Incidentally there's a current Fosters Why the Hell Not advert that shows the only male member of a rugby cheerleader group practicing with the girls and performing out on the field. He is shown being humiliated by his father making a comment about pom-poms but later being with the guys in the pub. Just another little chip away at the gender norms.
Here's the linnk for the Fosters video;
http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/f ... db/1357187
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:thumright: :clap: :kiltdance: :clap: :thumleft:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks LGG for the link. The only thing that would have been better about the video is that he should have worn the same outfit as the girls. :shock: :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Not quite in the same vein but related. It describes the "normality" of drag culture and its acceptance to the general public (Scottish Sunday Herald). It gives an acceptance of expanding the male wardrobe (though it doesn't actually mention skirts or dresses in particular)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/life_styl ... oment_quot_/
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Sinned wrote:Thanks LGG for the link. The only thing that would have been better about the video is that he should have worn the same outfit as the girls. :shock: :lol:
Agreed! :D - You mean more like this guy! :shock: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zta22vOvTfs
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I thought that too.

And that guy in the video is bloody good!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Sinned wrote:Incidentally there's a current Fosters Why the Hell Not advert that shows the only male member of a rugby cheerleader group practicing with the girls and performing out on the field. He is shown being humiliated by his father making a comment about pom-poms but later being with the guys in the pub. Just another little chip away at the gender norms.
I saw that advert and thought the cheerleading guy was the clever one; he's the one surrounded by and interacting with all those pretty young ladies :D :wink:
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

SkirtRevolution wrote:While I agree that the transgender awareness doesn't promote the idea of maculinity in skirts and dresses like we are hoping to promote. I do however believe that in the long run, it will help our cause.

Alone with the idea of trangenderism, comes other concepts like "genderfluid" "gender nonconforming" and "gender varient". All terms which means the same or similiar thing, that some people feel and express themselves as both masculine and feminine (or neither). As a result many men are now wearing skirts, dresses and other feminine attire, while presenting male at the same time. Claiming the "genderfluid" label has given men the confidence to embrace things once considered feminine. It has also, started to gain a lot of awareness in society, where society is starting to accept this idea the men can do things once considered feminine and that genderfluidity is more normal and wide spread than what we once thought….
Been away from the forum for a while… interesting thread and the above response is closest to my thoughts. Caitlyn et al. are helping people express their true selves, sending the message "This is me!". Not keeping unconventional feelings bottled up inside as Bruce did all those years. It is a positive trend for society.

But yes, the TG coming out movement is not directly connected with us, and there is the risk of some people seeing us in skirts putting us "in the same box". To better "help" our movement, what we really need is just a lot more guys out and about in skirts.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Boys in Puerto Rico can wear skirts to school

Post by Brad »

Boys in Puerto Rico can now wear skirts to school. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/10/12/bo ... erto-rico/ Although the policy is aimed at LGBTQ students, it appears that it applies to anyone and one does not have to identify with that agenda to wear a skirt.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boys in Puerto Rico can wear skirts to school

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Brad wrote:Boys in Puerto Rico can now wear skirts to school. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/10/12/bo ... erto-rico/ Although the policy is aimed at LGBTQ students, it appears that it applies to anyone and one does not have to identify with that agenda to wear a skirt.
It will indeed be nice when non-TG boys try wearing a skirt after such policies are implemented.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Maybe before it did. But not now with this crazy bathroom stuff. Particularly Target.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm sure it wasn't easy for Dr. King and others to march across that bridge in Selma, either...
summer trip 2015 025.JPG
summer trip 2015 031.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The previous post was intended for the thread "I Guess I Won't Be Wearing A Skirt Anymore." Not sure how I put it in the wrong place.