Wearing a skirt with a special lady

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Wearing a skirt with a special lady

Post by Brad »

I recently met a woman online who is actually okay with my passion for wearing skirts, and even encourages it. I feel like I hit the jackpot. We went to dinner in Hoboken, NJ, a trendy small city across the river from Greenwich Village in NYC. I wore a denim skirt hitting just above my knees with a man's shirt and sandals. My legs were shaved. It turned out to be a non-event. People either didn't notice or didn't care. As we've stated before on this forum, denim can be invisible. But I was impressed by her enthusiasm. She didn't even care if her neighbors saw her with me. It seems so much easier to wear a skirt in public when you're with someone. People are probably less likely to judge if they see that someone with you accepts it.

It would be nice if everyone was so open-minded.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Wearing a skirt with a special lady

Post by crfriend »

Brad wrote:I recently met a woman online who is actually okay with my passion for wearing skirts, and even encourages it.
That's wonderful news! Here's hoping. (Fingers crossed.)

I've found that my skirts are wonderful "Bozo filters" in that those who are unaccepting are (usually) not worth much attention on my part. Now, I'm not "on the market" for a mate being very happily settled in a 26+ year relationship with a wonderful woman, but I know the importance of having that filter in place: it likely will help alleviate hurt going forward. If they're not accepting going in, then they'll likely not be "turned" later on.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Orca

Post by Orca »

I totally get your vibe..
When going out with my girlfriend it's easier together. I don't mind going out alone and run my errands (I'm over the hill..) but with someone else it's somehow less stressful.
I don't need to extrude a grim conviction that I am in my right to be dressed like this (skirted). Or keep smart returns ready if someone would verbally attack me.

Last Saturday we went shopping and I wore a skirt (short, jeans/denim) and halfway through the day I forgot that I was skirted. That's a good sign of course..

Still I would welcome the day when skirted males are more accepted and shopping for skirts is a non-event.
Swim Well, Brother!
taylahkillian

Post by taylahkillian »

Wearing skirts with high thigh patterned pantyhose gives really comfort and relaxed look while it's women or men. Mostly women also prefer to wear tights/pantyhose with long jacket or skirt on a romantic date. I love them.

I found some beautiful legwear especially for women here at : https://missrubylegwear.com.au/product- ... se-tights/
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Lovely, but I'm a bit too unconscious of my physical actions and what I bump up against to dare wear twenty and thirty dollar tights. I couldn't stand to put a run or hole in a pair of expensive hose on the first wearing.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I was out with my lady friend again, this time to a mall in Paramus,NJ. I wore a denim skirt just above the knee with 3 inch wedge sandals, and my legs are shaved. She was so okay with it again. I got several looks from people but no rude behavior or comments. The sandals were starting to hurt my feet but we both had a great time.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:Lovely, but I'm a bit too unconscious of my physical actions and what I bump up against to dare wear twenty and thirty dollar tights. I couldn't stand to put a run or hole in a pair of expensive hose on the first wearing.
I wouldn't pay $20-30 either. I try to buy on sale for $6-10, and I find they're tougher than you might think.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Brad wrote:I was out with my lady friend again, this time to a mall in Paramus,NJ. I wore a denim skirt just above the knee with 3 inch wedge sandals, and my legs are shaved. She was so okay with it again. I got several looks from people but no rude behavior or comments. The sandals were starting to hurt my feet but we both had a great time.
Yeah, 3-inch heels will do that.

As to the looks, yes, people are going to notice and some percentage won't like it. But that's their problem, not yours. No matter what you wear, you're not going to please everybody.

It also helps to become a student of the human condition and take a scholarly interest in whatever reactions you get.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well done, Brad, and it seems like things are going well for you. As Caultron mentions, 3-inchers will cause a bit of distress after a while, but the good thing about that is that you can always take them off when you get home.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's good, Brad. Is it entirely your choice of trousers or skirt, is there a bit of negotiation?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:Well done, Brad, and it seems like things are going well for you. As Caultron mentions, 3-inchers will cause a bit of distress after a while, but the good thing about that is that you can always take them off when you get home.
Kind of like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop, eh?

But oh, the sacrifices we make for art...

caultron
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

skirtyscot wrote:That's good, Brad. Is it entirely your choice of trousers or skirt, is there a bit of negotiation?
It's my choice, unless it's a social function like meeting with her friends. She is so ok with it.

Carl was right also when he mentioned using a woman's acceptance of a man wearing a skirt as a Bozo Filter.