Men in Women's Shoes

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in Women's Shoes

Post by r.m.anderson »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Sinned wrote:Well, if like me you like the open strappy type shoe with a slight heel then it really IS a big deal as that type of shoe are VERY, VERY feminine. You couldn't exactly miss a man wearing those. I have some pairs that I wear rarely around the house but love them so much I couldn't possibly bear to dispose of them. They are so comfortable as well. Not for me boots and other shoes that you other wear.
I have a couple of pairs of that type They look like a plain pump with an inch or two of heel and a strap that goes across that helps keep them on. Their the only shoe that I know with a person's name. They are usually referred to as MARY JANE'S
Mary Janes have been around quite a long time - there are I think Doc Martens still out there and back in the 50's or so then there were the Buster Brown's
(more children sized smaller shoes).
There maybe others but the Mary Janes are very distinctive with the ankle strap(s) with or without the heels !
When you shop a shoe store and ask to see Mary Janes the shoe people know exactly what you mean with one cavet either the flat shoe worn by children and
young women or the pump with heels variety - but both have the pronounced strap. For seniors with difficulty putting on shoes there is a medical mary jane
with inserts for orthopedic wear and with the one strap and open design these are breeze to put on with no lacing just the mary jane strap fastened with Velcro.
One thing those Ruby Red Slippers that Dorothy clicked her heels to get back to Kansas were definitely not Mary Janes but similar looking Oh my oh my lions
tigers and bears - mary jane slippers ? we're off to the see the Wizard the wonder Wizard of OZ !

Wikipedia - Mary Janes - interesting history - LINK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_(shoe)
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm talking about this type of shoe:
strappy shoe.jpg
Maybe not glittery, but in white or black but very definitely ones to be noticed, on a man at least.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

I’m also thinking “who cares what else they notice”. If I am wearing a skirt in the first place, I can wear other things as well. Personally I think men’s shoes are too big together with a skirt. Therefor I prefer wearing women shoes with my skirts. IMO heels look even better and I think they are so fun to wear. I don’t like the open shoes and sandals, but my favorites are simple pumps, mary janes and knee-boots. What ever, I think we all should wear what we find good looking on our self.
DTSA

Post by DTSA »

I bought some Belle Hotter knee high boots last weekend in the sale and then are some of the most comfortable footwear I have worn, very highly recommended. The sales assistant could not have been more helpful and bought different styles for me to try on. Unfortunately only go up to a size 9 (43).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All,
From top to toe we are all about CHOICE!
If it "WORKS" try it!
If it "FITS", wear it!
Does it "FEEL" right, OK, go ahead, be "BRAVE"!
Sum, "LEARN ADAPT GROW".
The only thing to cross is the "AISLE", not a huge leap!
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

robert wrote:I’m also thinking “who cares what else they notice”. If I am wearing a skirt in the first place, I can wear other things as well. Personally I think men’s shoes are too big together with a skirt. Therefor I prefer wearing women shoes with my skirts. IMO heels look even better and I think they are so fun to wear. I don’t like the open shoes and sandals, but my favorites are simple pumps, mary janes and knee-boots. What ever, I think we all should wear what we find good looking on our self.
I agree that men's shoes look a bit clunky below a skirt.

A few months ago I was shopping in Target and happened to meet a woman I knew from church. We talked for a minute or two, and then she asked, "Why are you wearing high heels?" "Just goofing around," I replied and that was the end of it.

This past Wednesday I went to the doctor's office in a brown shirt, burgundy sweater, khaki SkirtCraft skirt, brown tights, and brown 3" heels. While there I met another woman from church, and again after a minute or two she remarked, "That's a smart outfit."

In heels I generally go for oxfords or loafers rather than just straps fastened to a sole. I haven't tried mary janes but in the right style I might. In summer I also like closed-toe dress sandals. I have some knee-length boots with 3" heels that I wear to hockey games.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

When it comes to wearing women's shoes, it's important to find a style you'll be comfortable in, both physically and mentally, oh, yeah, be sure to look for something that will work well with your outfit and look good on your feet. When in public, study women (discreetly of course) and what shoes they wear from season to season and ascertain if you can work such footwear into your ensembles. If you don't think you can handle high heels or anything especially feminine looking, then don't bother with such shoes, I'm the exception to the rule as I wear heels from two to four inches and noticeably feminine looking footwear, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But again, if that's not your thing, then work to find a style you'll like and feel good wearing.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I bought 2 pair of boots. These were my first My calf's are a little muscular so I opted for what they call wide calf. Big mistake they are about 16+ inches wide They would be ok with pants but not skirts. By the time I got done with the sales and coupons they were only $19 each so I kept them I have posted a couple of photos on the cafe with them on. Each and every time there is a comment that boots are to wide on top. so what ever you do stay away from wide calf.

On women's shoes If you watched yesterdays events I think The our new first lady looked amazing. Her shoes probably cost more than my entire skirt and shoe wardrobe. But you cant tell me that by the end of the day her feet didn't hurt
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

At size 12 I stick with footwear labelled mens shoes. In my options of choice and preference I prefer the styles still targetted towards men even with skirts and other female labelled items of clothing. Therefore obtaining more expensive female style footwear via specislised crossdressing outlets is irrelevant to me. As a lot of womens footwear is now taken from the malewardrobe like everything else and I prefer that style then I might as well obtain the mass produced male equivalents at bulk made prices. Mine are standard all enclosed lace ups in the cooler months but early Apr to end of October, open 'Jesus' style sandals.

As always each to their own in all aspects if not harming others. What others wear I accept. It is the disrespect in return that annoys me.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

My tale is of brogues.
Two pairs, and they are well heeled too.
One pair, of the two inch, the other plus a half.
A half inch, what difference, well ask?
Size matters and time will tell.
I love the form, the function, ah well?
Steve.
They are in different colours, black and tan. Different suppliers too. The black pair, lower heels and real comfy. The tan ones, better colour and look with more scope but not so conducive to happy feet and legs. I'll work on a period of adaptation. A couple of months, off and on. I will report back.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

The difficulty with mens' feet is that they are big. That is a jarring aesthetic with skirts, perhaps because the shoe size looks bigger against a leg instead of a much wider trouser leg, or maybe we simply are not used to the look.

I quite like a mens' Oxford shoe with my suits but I personally will not wear them with a skirt. Kilts suit chunky shoes but that's because kilts themselves are chunky. I see the advantage of a so-called woman's heeled shoe. The sole is less brutal, more integrated, and the look - with leg adjacent to the shoe, not broad trouser leg - moderates the foot size. The foot looks smaller in other words.

I have some wonderful mens trainers from Jones. They were reduced to £50 in a sale about 10 years ago and they are brown leather and look tiny on my feet. The sole doesn't stick out; the shoe moulds itself to your foot. They look like mens driving boots (if you have seen them). I wish I had bought 5 pairs of them. They could work well with a skirt.

I'm not a sandal fan unless on a beach but each to their own.

In short, I understand men wearing heels and both JeffB and Caultron demonstrate how to rock this look in their own ways.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am trying a little experiment. Some have said shoes don't matter some have said you can wear mens shoes. Whats your opinion. I know the photography isn't that great but my vote is for the heels
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Either pair of heels gets my vote.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

For a start, is it the same skirt in each?
If it is, yeah the heels look better. To my mind, the middle shot is the most believable for a guy.
I'd still defend the first one as a matter of choice for the wearer.
There is nothing inherently wrong apart from a matter of opinion.
Do we not strive to challenge "opinion"?
Steve.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Same skirt did not even move it all i did was change shoes