100 Wise Words

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

100 Wise Words

Post by Caultron »

#25 and give it some slack.

http://www.tickld.com/x/100-wise-words- ... s&ts_pid=2

For it to even be there implies a level of acceptance.

No cringing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 100 Wise Words

Post by Taj »

#40. Sorry, but if I lived up to my ancestry I'd have to sack Europe. We were equal opportunity pillagers and plunderers.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

There is a "certain something", that could be taken from any one of these.
Steve.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Two that stand out to me are #18 and #53. The corollary to the latter also offers a good suggestion for one way to achieve a polite society. #25 is a more specific version of "If you're going to do something, then do it right" - not that it makes it any less right.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

My take on the matter:
  • #9 -- Never dumb it down for doing so cheapens it for everybody. Compose well and use complete sentences.
  • #35 -- Always assert. To do otherwise is to confuse the situation. If yielding, signal your intent clearly lest you confuse.
  • #49 -- Yup, that one's mine. Let me fix it.
  • #54 -- That one is scary but true, and sometimes it takes some violence, but, yes, once is usually enough -- until you change venues.
  • #56 -- See #49.
  • #65 -- Sooner or later you'll wind up driving one -- or trying to. Take the pain and humiliation up front, and in private.
  • #84 -- That's great if they're not abusive. My grand-dad was abusive. I miss him now but didn't want to be around him then.
  • #87 -- Corollary: You're usually not the smartest one in the room except in controlled situations.
  • #100 -- Do what you have to do to survive. Hitting the solar plexus is best; it's a soft target for your fist so your hand won't get cut up.
As a denizen of the USA, the firearms-related ones are just plain common sense. Outside the USA, your mileage may vary.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

#65. I made sure my daughters first learned to drive on a stick shift. They were often the envy of their classmates.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!