Jumpers

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Jumpers

Post by Gordon »

I've read the term jumper(s) on this forum and the crossdressers forum many times but I'm confused as to what is meant by it. When I do a Google search I get multiple things and still don't have an idea of what is really meant.

-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jumpers

Post by trainspotter48 »

Gordon,

I think that this is another of those descriptions that differs depending on which side of the Atlantic you are standing on.

In USA (and I presume Canada) it would appear to indicate a strap top dress (known as a pinafore dress in UK) as in the first two examples.

In UK it normally implies a woollen knitted garment for the upper body usually with long sleeves as in the last illustration.

I wonder how long it is before we need an American - English translation dictionary as the two languages appear to be drifting apart??
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

trainspotter48 wrote:I wonder how long it is before we need an American - English translation dictionary as the two languages appear to be drifting apart??
Thank you for your help. Your suggestion would be a good one. Perhaps a SkirtCafe dictionary with a link on the side? Don't know how many entries it would have, but would be helpful for people such as I who aren't clued in. At first I didn't know what MOH meant either.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

LGG wrote:At first I didn't know what MOH meant either.
I thought that was pretty much universal. Much along the same vein as "SO" (Significant Other) (sarcastically referred to sometimes as the "CO" (Commanding Officer) ) or "SWBMO" (She Who Must Be Obeyed").

As far as the New and Old Worlds being "brothers divided by a common language", that's just something we all have to get used to and embrace. Sometimes it's a great way to get a laugh or to really provide shock value to something when saying it perfectly nonchalantly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

trainspotter48 wrote:...I wonder how long it is before we need an American - English translation dictionary as the two languages appear to be drifting apart??
"Two great nations separated by a common language."

(Variously attributed, but usually to George Bernard Shaw or Chirchhill.)
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:
LGG wrote:At first I didn't know what MOH meant either.
I thought that was pretty much universal. Much along the same vein as "SO" (Significant Other) (sarcastically referred to sometimes as the "CO" (Commanding Officer) ) or "SWBMO" (She Who Must Be Obeyed").
I must admit there was a time when I thought MOH meant Master of the House. Especially in the context of some member's posts. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

trainspotter48 wrote:Gordon,

I think that this is another of those descriptions that differs depending on which side of the Atlantic you are standing on.

In USA (and I presume Canada) it would appear to indicate a strap top dress (known as a pinafore dress in UK) as in the first two examples.

In UK it normally implies a woollen knitted garment for the upper body usually with long sleeves as in the last illustration.

I wonder how long it is before we need an American - English translation dictionary as the two languages appear to be drifting apart??
Interesting point of history, the divergence in much of our common language, at least as written, was deliberate on the part of us Yanks, I'm afraid. During the Theodore Roosevelt administration in the early years of the last century, it was decided as an official act to simplify some of the spellings and archaic terms that were normal in traditional English. This included changing spellings such as 'honour' to 'honor', and dropping archaic terms such as 'whilst' to a common 'while'. Our accent, of course, is well homogenized now, but still regionally highly variable, and owes much to our multi-lingual immigrant composition and to 'land-race' settlement over our three centuries of expansion to the west. The more pronounced speaking differences are in the eastern and southern states, and between large cities.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

PS...I have no idea what a jumper is supposed to be in the US, but we would call picture four a sweater or a pullover.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

The first three would all be called jumpers in the USD. It's a casual sleeveless dress that you're probably going to wear a shirt beneath.

Personally, I've always thought it'd be cool to have a matching jumper and suit coat, kind of like a three-piece skirt suit with the vest and a skirt sewn together. But I essentially never wear suits anyway, so why bother?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron