The missing link ??

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

The missing link ??

Post by denimini »

Riding pants.
Looks like a retro version of the inception of bifurcation
Convertable; although I don't fully understand the process - may be just ends up like a long skort.

http://www.steampunkemporium.com/store/002782S.php
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The missing link ??

Post by Sinned »

Looks like a variation on culottes doesn't it? I can see the appeal of the look but can't see me wearing it. Hmmmm, MOH goes on about trousers being for men but I wonder what she would say if I obtained a plain, say dark blue, culottes and threatened to wear them? After all they're basically trousers aren't they? Perhaps not. Anyway I would probably feel sillier in them than in a skirt. Thanks for this contribution dnmmn.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, culottes was the term I was trying to think of. Certainly a bit silly for a man to wear pants that look like a skirt instead of a skirt.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

According to an article in the Wall Street Journal today, culottes are the coming thing for the next couple of seasons. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

For men or women?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

The WSJ is primarily about women's fashion:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/keep-your-c ... 1426700862

But the second reader comment notes that basketball players are, in effect, wearing culottes (and leggings) already.

http://aknextphase.com/culottes-march-madness/
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

If culottes become fashionable for men, then there is not as much difference visually to a skirt. Then a smaller step for skirts to become fashionable for men - not that I am worried about fashion but it would reduce my anxiety about wearing a skirt in public. May be it would not be as "character building" then.
The first WSJ article mentions they are cooler to wear (I assume in thermal terms) - They wouldn't be as cool as a skirt of similar material, so it seems a backward step for women in warm weather.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

denimini wrote:Certainly a bit silly for a man to wear pants that look like a skirt instead of a skirt.

Why so? No fashion police here!

They could be a staging-post. Wear the culottes, safe in the knowledge that they are trousers (sort of). Decide you like the way they swing. Grow a pair and buy a maxi skirt. Just follow steps one, two and three!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have a couple of (not long enough) palazzo pants which I now regard as "split skirts" (aka "long culottes"). I treat them as skirts and get on with life. I like them, but have another pair of palazzos in need of hemming, and those will be done at, or near, "maxi" length.

However, before that project can begin there are several intermediaries that need to be worked out -- else I'll have to farm the job to somebody who can carry it out well...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

skirtyscot wrote:
denimini wrote:Certainly a bit silly for a man to wear pants that look like a skirt instead of a skirt.

Why so? No fashion police here!

They could be a staging-post. Wear the culottes, safe in the knowledge that they are trousers (sort of). Decide you like the way they swing. Grow a pair and buy a maxi skirt. Just follow steps one, two and three!
Yes, a staging post; only if culottes became fashionable and accepted for men.
Otherwise, I don't think I would feel any more confident wearing these in public knowing that they are really pants than I would with a skirt. I may as well just jump straight to step three.

I am sorry if I didn't get my original point across very well.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

A recent Simpsons episode had the kids at school playing a game in which they had to crawl between each other's legs. Milhouse looked down and commented sadly, "I guess I chose the wrong day to wear culottes." I have to agree with Bart's reply, EVERY day is the wrong day to wear culottes.
Although having said that this is clearly just a regular pleated skirt, and not culottes at all. You go, Milhouse!
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Funnily though there was an article in the Yorkshire Post Magazine dated 21st March stating that Culottes are THE trouser shape of spring and summer!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

We may slag off on the style of culottes, but which style is more flattering to the average human form -- culottes or skin-tight leggings or jeans?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:We may slag off on the style of culottes, but which style is more flattering to the average human form -- culottes or skin-tight leggings or jeans?
Well, if you have a shape worth flattering, I'd say skin-tight looks best. Like, if you got it, flaunt it.

The issue with culottes seems to be that we favor skirts: full-blown, unbifurcated, single-leghole skirts. For us, pants that look like skirts simply won't do.

But why wouldn't we want other men to wear culottes? I guess because we'd rather have them wear skirts, like us. But if the look of culottes indeed catches on, it'll at least make us less conspicuous and perhaps lead to some culotte-wearing men forgoing the inseam.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Caultron, that makes perfect sense, can't argue with anything you have said there.

Respect is, as they say, due.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!