Breaking gender stereotypes at Australian Open

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Breaking gender stereotypes at Australian Open

Post by Jim2 »

I was watching Nadal play Berdych and it suddenly struck me that both of their outfits broke with what is normal for men to wear. This might not be earth-shaking, but I thought I'd mention it. Nadal was wearing an outfit that featured mainly pink, purple, and yellow. At first Berdych's outfit seemed uninteresting, until I realized that his shirt featured a chevron effect, not normally seen on men. It was not the narrow bands usually seen on women's dresses and skirts, yet it was still the same geometric pattern.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Breaking gender stereotypes at Australian Open

Post by Sinned »

Indeed, but when I see the men wearing the women's short dresses ( even with shorts underneath ) then I will really believe that they have broken the mould. And why not - the girl's dresses must be much more comfortable and liberating in the strenuous context of a tennis match. What's the difference between a long T-shirt and a short dress - probably about an inch at best!!!! :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Sinned wrote:Indeed, but when I see the men wearing the women's short dresses ( even with shorts underneath ) then I will really believe that they have broken the mould. And why not - the girl's dresses must be much more comfortable and liberating in the strenuous context of a tennis match. What's the difference between a long T-shirt and a short dress - probably about an inch at best!!!! :)
I don't think that a tennis dress or skort would make much difference, but I have wondered about this. I play tennis about twice a week on average and I could not bring myself to wear either. But I'm not sure that will last forever. Anyway, I have trouble believing it would be more comfortable. Whatever one wears under the dress or skirt, it will be seen. If this is so, then why not just wear that? I don't wear this clothing to be fashionable, to change how I look. I wear skirts and dresses because I find them very comfortable. If I'm wearing shorts under a skirt, then the skirt is just a decoration, and serves little purpose for me. Am I missing something? Does anyone reading this play tennis in a dress or skirt? Is it any better than wearing shorts and a t-shirt? I wear fairly short, very light synthetic shorts when I play. At one time I used to wear cotton shorts, and would definitely find them less comfortable. But my current ones seem like they are no less comfortable than a skort would be. I also wear ankle-less socks as I find I get hot around my ankles and higher if my socks cover that area - even in winter on a court kept at 60 degree (fahrenheit).
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have never really played tennis but I have played squash and the idea of playing in a short dress and some sort of plain square cut underwear ( shorts? whatever ) rather appeals to me. As I seem to recall the shirts worn in squash/tennis are rather long anyway so a dress probably wouldn't make much difference. Intriguing and food for thought?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

I wear a synthetic shirt (not a t-shirt as I said - I wasn't thinking) that whisks away moisture and is very lightweight when I play tennis. It is not long at all. Probably shorter than my t-shirts.