Lets talk about jewelry

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Lets talk about jewelry

Post by JohnH »

To each his own. The idea of nipple piercings makes me shudder - my breasts still have growth pains due to estrogen injections.

John
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Just four earrings and a wedding ring for me.

I used to wear neck chains and more rings until my wife started buying jewelry like crazy, after which I cut down rather than encourage her.

I used to wear a wrist watch until someone pointed out those were no longer cool -- people just used their cell phones. Maybe the new iWatch and its competitors will change that.

I think about getting more ear piercings and maybe something in my nose, but I'm on blood thinners these days and hate to go off them 4-5 days just to get pierced.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

ChrisM wrote: I also like bracelets but they are VERY hard to find in a size that fits me. Simple hoops sold for the ladies will not pass over my hand to make it to the wrist. I think I need to start looking under the heading of "anklets" to find my size!
Chris, I wear a bracelet like this one. If you look at enough of them in eBay you can find ones that you can buy the size you want.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-CLASSIC-T ... 1e62d37ba6
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

ChrisM wrote:I also like bracelets but they are VERY hard to find in a size that fits me. Simple hoops sold for the ladies will not pass over my hand to make it to the wrist. I think I need to start looking under the heading of "anklets" to find my size!
This is where the bangles like I have may work better for you. They are not round, but rather a flattened circle with an opening on one of the flattened dimensions. You slip them on behind the knob at your wrist and then rotate the open side to the inside of your arm. If you lived in the SF area I would direct you to the guy who made mine. He would be happy to custom make one to fit you.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

LGG wrote:On another forum the subject of "your favorite piece" of jewelry came up. ... I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about jewelry here. I've always liked jewelry.
For me:
Everyday: women's small gold-finish Seiko watch.
Dinners or social events with friends, or traveling: 2-4 feminine rings; and either a gold chain with pendant or a pearl necklace. My favorites: a single pearl on a gold chain, or a strand of small graduated pearls. As in the case of skirts, I think men should be allowed to wear pearls!
Never: earrings.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Humm, I never thought of pearls. Thanks for the idea.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Sorry, not for me but each to their own. If you like jewelry, go for it.

I'll just stick to wedding ring and watch. My wife is the same but she will put on a 'quiet' necklace from time to time but would not thank you for gold, silver or ornate items.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

i have 4 ear piercings (2 in each ear) in which i wear silver hoop earrings for day to day wear, i do however wear different earrings for nights out or when i'm wearing a dress on a night out, these are usually dangly type earrings intended for women although i sometimes wear large hoop earrings (again intended for women).

i also wear neck chains / necklaces that may be designed for either male or female (or both) but again only when i'm on a night out as they are not practical to wear on a day to day basis due to the nature of my work, there is a risk that they could get caught in the machinery that i operate which could cause serious injury or even death.

as i am a goth i also wear goth type earrings such as skulls etc when i'm on a night out dressed as a male goth, i also wear a goth style watch and neck chains when in this mode

i did have my nipples pierced many years ago but i removed the jewellery from these, again this was due to my job at the time ... i kept catching them on the machines i was working on and they started to get a bit painful ...as this was more than 20 years ago they have since completely heeled.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I have a pendant I wear with varying frequency that is a flat animal design set in silver on a 20" chain. I never had interest in long chains, and that seems to be short enough to be safe around the machinery I tend to work with. There was a time when I wore a rectangular gemstone pendant all the time (literally).

I also wear a wristwatch sold as a "women's" watch. They don't make "men's" watches in decent sizes - even some of the "women's" watches are too big. Why size should be such a defining feature in gendering watches baffles me. Seems to me that visual acuity, viewing requirements, and space required for needed or useful markings and workings should be the defining factors in watch size.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

No piercings of any kind, no tattoos, just a wedding ring with 4-1-69 on the inside, which I can inspect at will anytime. Also the wifey got me an 'eternity' ring with a Celtic pattern in plain gold for the left little finger which I wear just for her. I can get that off easily too.

No chains either.....not since George Clooney & I shook 'em off to 'go down to the river to pray'.... :wink:

I wear an old st. steel Eterna-Matic clockwork self-winding Swiss Chronometer which Wifey gave me 47 years ago as an engagement present. It tells the correct time down to 30 meters underwater and could never be considered jewelry.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

LGG wrote:Humm, I never thought of pearls. Thanks for the idea.
I have three strands of pearls, one of which was my mother's. Another is pearls with three tiny origami cranes that sit asymmetrically. That one was made by one of my jewelry artists who is from Japan.
I have another necklace that I don't think of as pearls. It is long and made from Hemalite (artificial hematite) shapes, pearls and crystal beads. Made by a different artist that I collaborate with on designs.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
jolt_34500

Post by jolt_34500 »

I very seldom wear jewelry, that being said I do have a couple of pocket watches that I sometimes wear instead of my wrist watch, but for the most time it's my wrist watch which is a multifunction type that has sunrise/sunset times and that is set based on your lat/long location, moon apogee, thermometer, five independent alarms, stop watch, count down timer, twenty-four time zones, currently set to UTC, Daylight Savings mode, and a compass and water resistant to 100 meters. Somewhere around here I do have a toe ring and a necklace, but hardly ever wear those.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I have not worn a watch for many years (not since, while gardening, I took off the one my wife had given me, hanged it on the branch of a tree and forgot all about it). Managed quite well without it, using a small pocket alarm clock when traveling. I am tempted to get one if it is easy to decipher, but certainly not one of those "multifunction type that has sunrise/sunset times and that is set based on your lat/long location, moon apogee, thermometer, five independent alarms, stop watch, count down timer, twenty-four time zones" that manufacturers have deemed necessary fro a watch to be "masculin".
Since I have for years worn a copper bracelet, I'd like to have other copper accessories, but they are hard to come by.
My wedding ring is coppery gold, which harmonizes, but round my neck I have a steel chain. I like its geometric design though not its colour.
My kilt pins are of silver, copper, pewter, steel, gold-plated (I think!) and other non-descript metals, mostly non-Scottish designs.
I have no intention of trying to be fashionable with piercings or tattoos, and find it hard to understand why anyone would want to disfigure himself permanently.

Martin
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I just received a pin that means a great deal to me. My son completed his Eagle Scout requirements last fall, and we finally had his award ceremony this weekend. My wife and I were presented Eagle Mom and Eagle Dad pins. After all the years and the terrific merits of the Scouting program, especially a troop as active, engaged, and well-led and well-mentored as the one in our little town, I was almost as proud to receive that pin as my son was to receive his Eagle decorations. Next to my wedding ring, I will treasure this pin most dearly.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

I'm pretty much a jewelry whore - especially earrings!

I wear dangle earrings almost exclusively, mostly pretty large ones. I have a couple or 3 pairs of hoops, none smaller than 3 inch. I wear 3 necklaces/pendants every day in mundania, but throw on the bling when "going out" or performing. I've been able to find a few bangles that will fit me. I also have a pierced navel.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net