New Years Resolution

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Years Resolution

Post by Couya »

I made no resolutions at all, but, as it happens, it was at new year 2000 that I celebrated by being out and about in my kilt (hitherto reserved for special occasions), went shopping, visited friends and family, etc. New millennium celebration rather than resolution. It turned out to be nice and warm, comfortable and eye-catching -- without my provoking an traffic accidents as I had feared -- so I ordered some more kilts and never looked back. Non-tartan skirts came later.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Just remember, it's amazing what you can "get away with" with just a bit of courage and a smile.
Those are words to live by. Stand tall, smile, and be engaging; folks will remember you that way. Slouch, sulk, and behave like you're doing something wrong, and you'll either get ignored -- or, worse, remembered for all the wrong reasons. Displaying a positive and cheerful attitude -- even if you happen to be miserable inside -- can bring profound benefits both to those around you and even to yourself.

I just got my morning treat -- I'm watching cardinals frolic in the garden just outside my living-room window as I type this. Never forget that beauty is all around us; we just need to see it, accept it, and let it gently steer us.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That must be quite a sight, all those red cassocks billowing about!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Caultron wrote: it's amazing what you can "get away with" with just a bit of courage and a smile.
I am still surprised that I get away with it. Today, in my straight knee length denim skirt in the bicycle shop in Saltcoats (a distinctly working class town, far from even the outer edges of fashion), discussing and buying brake blocks. I think the man didn't notice at all; if he did, he didn't let on. His two teenage assistants (both male) did notice, and I think they were quietly goggling / laughing, But they were easy to ignore. I just behave as normal and do nothing to draw attention to my skirt, and I get away with it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:..I just behave as normal and do nothing to draw attention to my skirt, and I get away with it.
There you go.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

skirtyscot wrote:.... I just behave as normal and do nothing to draw attention to my skirt, and I get away with it.
Although I didn't make any New Year resolutions, I have tried where possible to wear skirts. Like going shopping at my local Tesco foodstore, travelling home from Glasgow to Edinburgh, going to recycle banks etc. Yesterday was a good day for that and a bit more. :D

I wore the outfit below - my faux-leather miniskirt, which I think is now my favourite one and blue denim tights. I know many of you will say, "it's too short", but even under the what you can get away with, I do realise it is a bit "out there." :shock: :D

I was meeting DonaldG and his wife at 6pm on Saturday and wanted to get some shopping in. I travelled on the bus at 3:30 to a Matalan store and bought a T-shirt and a polo shirt as well as a couple of new beach towels. I then walked from there into town (about 45 mins) and bought a holiday book at Waterstones as well as a pair of shorts and some white socks for our holiday. No-one within the shops or at checkouts seemed bothered at all. 8)

I then texted DG asking where he was (it was 5:30 at that time) in case he was in town early. Which he was and was in fact just about 2 minutes walk away so we met up for a quick drink before going to our meal. He was wearing a blue denim knee-length skirt. Mrs DG had on a blck below skirt below knee-length one. After our meal, we walked back to the pub/restaurant where we had another drink for a second glass of beer. No-one at either venue was fazed at all about two men wearing skirts. I then went home at 10:30.

All in all a good day
IMAG2175-reduced.jpg
I only spotted a few double takes whilst I was walking into town and between venues and I did spot one fellow in his car have a triple look - :shock: - trying to sort out this image of a man in leather miniskirt and blue tights! I just gave him a smile back :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Like SkirtingToday, I made no "New Year's Resolutions". If I desire to affect a change to my life I shall do so no matter what the calendar says.

In spite of my recent "rough patch in the road that is life", I continue to unabashedly wear skirts. I wear them irrespective of where I am, and usually what I'm doing. I don't have any as short as ST's model above (mainly because I think my body-type is wrong for it (rail-thin and lanky)), but that doesn't keep me from my longer ones.

The folks at work know about -- and are fine with -- my skirt-wearing as are my new house-mates (I landed in an apartment in a house-setting instead of an industrial-style [0] "cube"/"cell" apartment) -- and guess what: they're all fine with it as well (at least nobody's mentioned anything, and usually folks are all smiles). Precisely the only push-back I've had in over a month has been from my elder aunt who barely tolerated it when I spent three weeks holed up at her place whilst I looked for a place of my own; this dovetails into the "those closest to one" observation. (Interestingly, I went to her place yesterday wearing my peacock-feather skirt, fixed her computer, picked up some mail, and she commented favourably on the skirt. Go figure.)

[0] "I don't know how came to get the Betty Davis knees / but worst of all young man, you've got Industrial Disease" -- Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote:The folks at work know about -- and are fine with -- my skirt-wearing as are
my new house-mates <snip> -- and guess what: they're all fine with it as well
(at least nobody's mentioned anything, and usually folks are all smiles).
Leading by example, you MAY get a few 'converts' :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)