men in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

men in tights

Post by skirtingtoday »

Link below is the about the use of tights by men in sport (specifically NBA). Recently I have seen some football players (Both US footballers and soccer players) so is this becoming a trend?

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-ey ... ights.html

I have also seen some cyclists getting off trains wearing shorts over tights (and not the heavy-duty specific "cycling tights" either) and several other fellows wearing "fashionable" ripped denim trousers over tights which are are plainly visible through the torn areas.
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: men in tights

Post by STEVIE »

It's simple, tights from the other side of the aisle are cheaper. Broadly speaking, there's no difference in real terms between the male and female variety.
There's also a lot of anecdotal evidence that guys in really cold working environments wore "tights" as a means of layering to stay warm.
Macho professions, the Police, Fire and Ambulance services. Dare I say, also lumberjacks?
Must also add tights under trousers are damnably uncomfortable. It would have to be exceptionally cold for me to go for that as a choice.
Besides, the coolness adds a certain frisson to the skirt.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:It's simple, tights from the other side of the aisle are cheaper. Broadly speaking, there's no difference in real terms between the male and female variety.
Indeed, the biggest problem I find is that with all the stretch I have "too much room" instead of not enough. Control-top technology helps with that a bit, but the added compression around the stomach can affect appetite.
Must also add tights under trousers are damnably uncomfortable. It would have to be exceptionally cold for me to go for that as a choice.
The idea was first given to me by a fellow commuter (who happened to be a woman) one brutally cold day when a bunch of us got stranded on an open train platform whilst we waited for the crew to get the locomotive started -- which then promptly stalled while being backed out of the layover yard. Even though I was wearing a Korean-era great-coat and had my backside turned, yak-like, into the wind I still darned near froze. So I asked one of the women who I rode with: "How is it that you weren't freezing out there?" The answer came back: "Pantyhose. Give it a go. You looked miserable."

They are unfortunately uncomfortable under trousers (but not bad under palazzos or split-skirts), but that's mostly down to frictional problems. Widening the legs of the trousers or doing away with the inseam entirely is a good engineering solution to the problem.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

Hey, I've been wearing tights everyday for the most part of the past 20 years. i really don't get cold...if it do its mostly hands,neck and head. sometimes i will wear shorts with them...now i have to get to the point that i can feel that i can wear any of my many Skirts as i do my shorts...time will tell.. :D :D :D :D
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

For me I wear tights sometimes around the house with just a T-shirt with no problems. Though it is more for comfort than anything. I do not generally feel cold except for hands. I do wear them below trousers at work these days.

Would like to wear a skirt with that but that would create friction. At leaset I am comfortable wearing both in the outside world on occasions which wasn't the case (say) 3 years ago when I wouldn't have though I could do that.

And Stevie, I believe also that a lot of building workers on sites do raid their wife's drawers for tights under their trousers - mind you they do work outside in all weathers!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

When the fashion for young things wearing shorts over tights came in a few years ago I thought 'How rediculous!' as few of them manage to look smart in them.
Since then I have found myself that seriously thick warm tights and shorts/skater/trousers over them are very comfortable indeed.

Alas, Resident family aren't remotely at ease with 'Grandad' wearing tights & shorts or minikilt.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I don't often wear tights under trousers, probably because all my tights are thick so it's just too warm. However when I do I find it quite comfortable. The tights pull themselves down and counteract the hated upward slicing motion of the trews. Far from leaving too much room, I find the tights create enough room. To my mind that outweighs the disadvantage of the friction between the two garments.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Ross,
I'd well understand that builders would use tights to "layer up", function over form springs to mind.
I have found a problem, I have become so acclimatised to skirt and tights that trousers/tights actually feel wrong.
Today is the first time that I've been trousered for a whole day in months, no tights and that's O.K.
My tights are all 30 or 40 denier, so not exceptionally thick. I have one pair, cable ribbed 100 denier which I wear with the nukilt and on some days, this autumn that was too warm. I have to rethink that combination as I won't go bare legged, yet?
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey Stv, I have no problem with tights and skirts/trousers. In winter when it's cold I wear tights of appropriate thickness and a longer/thicker skirt and in summer when it's warm I don't and wear a shorter/thinner skirt. There's a bit of overlap in spring/autumn but that's it. My leg hair is very fair so not noticeable so I don't shave. Otherwise I watch the weather forecast and wear what's suitable. I inherited a lot of tights from MOH ( she hasn't worn tights for years ) so I don't really buy any and just use up what I have.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I wear tights all the time during the winter as it helps keep me warm. I first started this when I was working outside quite a lots back in the late 1990's and have continued to wear them. Under Pants or Skirts it makes no difference to me I like the way they feel and I like how they look so count me in as a tights wearer until is get Hot then its back to bare legs for me.
:alien:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

phathack wrote:I wear tights all the time during the winter as it helps keep me warm. I first started this when I was working outside quite a lots back in the late 1990's and have continued to wear them. Under Pants or Skirts it makes no difference to me I like the way they feel and I like how they look so count me in as a tights wearer until is get Hot then its back to bare legs for me.
:alien:
Agreed, tights and leggings are great in cold weather. They have an interesting feel and definitely keep you warm.

And also that tights sold as as male garments are 50-100% more expensive than the same article sold for women.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Caultron wrote:And also that tights sold as as male garments are 50-100% more expensive than the same article sold for women.
But maybe they are 50% - 100% better. I'm thinking about the ones which claim to have a gusset designed for men. Anyone able to verify this? I have not tried them.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:But maybe they are 50% - 100% better. I'm thinking about the ones which claim to have a gusset designed for men. Anyone able to verify this? I have not tried them.
A fly is nice to have but not even all men's tights have them. It precludes wearing the tights without pants, shorts, or (ahem) skirts, as runners and bicyclists often do. And they're stretchy enough that going over the top isn't a problem.

Women seem to buy more clothes and throw them away faster, and hence don't worry as much about long wear. But the women's tights and leggings I've bought lately seem to be well-enough made.

Fit seems to be all over the map for both sexes. It helps to be lucky.

Reactions to me wearing tights have been zero. Once they assimilate the kilt or skirt the tights apparently seem pretty minor.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Caultron wrote:Reactions to me wearing tights have been zero. Once they assimilate the kilt or skirt the tights apparently seem pretty minor.
My experience too Caultron. In fact whatever I have on, if someone wants to make reference to my attire it is and only is about the skirt. Nothing else.

I don't have any problems with tights labelled womens tights. They are also much cheaper to buy than tights specifically designed for men. They fit OK, last well and keep my legs warm when we have cold drafty days but I do have no tight days even in winter. Weather depending.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I wore tights (pantyhose) every winter in my last job as a building maintenance worker. I only wore them when temps got below freezing. My job required me to be indoors and out, often several times a day. I found long underwear to be too warm when indoors so tights were the obvious solution. Now days I'm retired and find the old body gets cold so I wear them most of the time.