men in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: men in tights

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:This was the first mention of my attire at choir for ages, and not the slightest hint of disapproval. It all made me feel thoroughly content. 8)
For the win, then!

On the concept of coloured tights -- that is, anything other than black, white, brown, or grey -- it's best to use farily sharp contrast to the skirt in question, or to loosely match it to one component (I have an on-the-bias plaid skirt that has purple in it and find that purple tights pick it up nicely -- but the purple in the skirt is muted). One basic rule applies, though: red and black always look good together! (black skirt, red tights; black tights, red skirt)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

crfriend wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:This was the first mention of my attire at choir for ages, and not the slightest hint of disapproval. It all made me feel thoroughly content. 8)
For the win, then!

On the concept of coloured tights -- that is, anything other than black, white, brown, or grey -- it's best to use farily sharp contrast to the skirt in question, or to loosely match it to one component (I have an on-the-bias plaid skirt that has purple in it and find that purple tights pick it up nicely -- but the purple in the skirt is muted). One basic rule applies, though: red and black always look good together! (black skirt, red tights; black tights, red skirt)
I agree with you about the importance of contrast. I've worn an above the knee black pencil skirt with gray tights and black knee high boots and that made for what I thought was a dramatic combination. For the most part, when it comes to tights, I only wear black or gray, but I might experiment with other colors come next fall and winter.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

JeffB1959 wrote:I agree with you about the importance of contrast. I've worn an above the knee black pencil skirt with gray tights and black knee high boots and that made for what I thought was a dramatic combination. For the most part, when it comes to tights, I only wear black or gray, but I might experiment with other colors come next fall and winter.
The trick is to avoid colors that almost match, but don't.

Black works OK with black, for example, and white with white. But two different blues, or reds, or whatever, confuse the eye, whereas two completely different colors don't.

I've worn black and gray tights, but also brown, dark red, navy blue, dark green, and olive. As soon as they come in I'm going to try some black chevron-patterned.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron -

Whatever you do - do not don court jester tights (legs of different color right one red left one white) and the playing card prints
with diamonds spades hearts and clubs Unless of course you are the fool entertaining royalty.
And then you could go ala Hollywood "Robin Hood - Men in Green tights"!

You have the right fashion sense in color combinations that work.
Whites and pastels are not very masculine just like Kilt Sox - it is not white but a cream or vanilla that blends in nicely without a lot to do.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote:Caultron -

Whatever you do - do not don court jester tights (legs of different color right one red left one white) and the playing card prints
with diamonds spades hearts and clubs Unless of course you are the fool entertaining royalty.
And then you could go ala Hollywood "Robin Hood - Men in Green tights"!
Rest easy. I would never do that.
r.m.anderson wrote:You have the right fashion sense in color combinations that work.
Whites and pastels are not very masculine just like Kilt Sox - it is not white but a cream or vanilla that blends in nicely without a lot to do.
Actually, I usually avoid white, off-white, beige, and assorted bright colors. White reminds me too much of nurses from the 1950s. Beige looks so much like bare skin that why bother? And bright colors just scream too loud. But these are personal quirks and eccentricities not right for everyone.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

And then there is eccentric ole me pushing the envelope - - -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Nice tights!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Actually they are leggings a heavier weight material from tights - not sheer like hosiery.
Think of the scale starting with:
USA pantyhose (hosiery)/UK tights ?
Tights - same material leotards are made of (UK description title ???)
Leggings (if made with denim they are called Jeggings and may have jean pocket detailing)
then simply tight pants trousers or skinny pants.

The 12 inch hem denim skirt has two side cargo pockets suitable for a cell phone and not much else.
Behind the belly bag is the right hand side zipper fly with button waist closing.
Back of skirt is plain no pockets or detailing.
Top is a long sleeve sweat shirt.
The boots are Harley Davidson motorcycle boots with a 1.5 inch heel and custom contrasting military dress lacing.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:And then there is eccentric ole me pushing the envelope - - -
If those are leggings, then you have hit upon the one situation in which they might work -- where the shoe rises high enough to hide the break. Well done. (But they still require socks, do they not? I hate the feel of bare feet in shoes.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Yes ankle (crew) sox are worn underneath the leggings.
The HD mc boots are not cushioned enough for comfort walking about.
The sox are folded down to ankle sox and the leggings over sox are hidden by the top half of the boot.
The maroon color makes a bold statement. I also have the leggings in Viking purple being bold there too.
The leggings have enough weight that just put a jacket on over the top; gloves and the weather down
to 0 degrees "F" is hackable. Below 0 and strong winds (windchill factor) I don't linger tempting mother N.
But spring has sprung and I have gone over to cable knit kilt sox - sans denim flashes.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

r.m.anderson wrote:And then there is eccentric ole me pushing the envelope - - -
Wow! That's an intense color! Don't think I would wear legwear quite that bright! But hey, more power to you!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

For those who wish to make comment of MIT (men in tights) here is a web page for just that purpose.

Comments so far all seem to be positive!

http://legstyle.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/ ... k.html?m=1
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Good photo collection!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

When it’s cold outside, I do from time to time wear tights and leggings, always non-transparent and especially when in short skirts.

O’Neil of Dublin mini-kilt (18.5"), BlackWatch tartan, worn with boots and black tights.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Looks comfy!

caultron