men in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Kingussie

Re: men in tights

Post by Kingussie »

skirtingtoday wrote:
howardfh wrote: . . . though I am considering wearing some coloured tights (see photos elsewhere) with my skirts.
I say that you should go for it. I've been wearing coloured tights with my kilts for a number of years and this season, branched out in to colours beyond black/navy/grey. They look good w/ the kilt and were considerably better than kilt hose & bare knees, etc on 0 degree days. They give you something extra to add into the mix & now that I've added skirts to my line-up, I'm having even more fun.

In addition, tights under trousers have been a godsend on those 400+ metre walks in from the car park on cold windy mornings. :D
Kingussie
--------------
Why should the ladies have all the fun?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

In addition to my usual black, grey, and brown, I have tights in green, red-fuchsia, white, and two shades of purple. Considering now some brighter shades, namely yellow and orange, perhaps a copper-rust if I find it. Ideally I'd like prairie gold, the color of my antique Minneapolis-Moline tractor. It might give me the incentive to finish restoring it.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
MerAnthony

Post by MerAnthony »

I believe that tights an leggings are a great way to keep warm during the winter months. I myself have been wearing tights an leggings for a while now an me being from upstate New York the winter months can be nasty sometimes. I found out that I am alergic to longjohns, there is something in the fabric that makes me itch when I have them on. So a female friend said to try a pair of leggings to see if that would help, an I did. I have been wearing them ever sence. Or when it is chilly outside I will wear legging around the house while watching TV or on the computer.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Agreed, just the ticket for wearing skirts on chilly days.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH wears leggings ALL the time and to her they are DEFINITELY a female garment and in our arguments discussions this has often come up. She thinks that I wear or do so many things that are "wimmen's things" as it is. I know that there isn't a great deal of difference between thick tights apart from the tights having feet in them but if I were to wear leggings then I think that it'd be the last straw and confirmation to her that I was turning into a woman. I may as well go ahead have the operation!!!! :roll:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I have been trying out various combinations of skirt heights with opaque tights, partly as a look experiment, and partly to see how the temperatures are handled. I do find it a bit hit and miss as to whether the tights fit or not. I have not, as yet, bought men's specific versions. Because of the fit issue, and because I don't like the slightly "claustrophobic" feeling the tights give me, I keep coming back to thigh highs, or stay ups as they are called. Getting the right size with those is a little easier, as if they are tall enough they tend to work. Opaque ones in my size are rare, but I found a local end of line discounter selling off a brand I hadn't seen before, and after trying them, went round all the local branches and now have enough stock for about 3 years. They are quite dark, not quite totally opaque, but with a nice understated sheen. The band is silicone, holds very well, and I can wear them for at least 12 hours before they start becoming even slightly irritating. I find the look suits me, I feel it really flatters my legs. The smooth feel is also very nice. I got a couple of pairs in a wool blend ( cashmere no less! ) in bright red, I am putting together a party outfit that involves those, and an embroidered waistcoat in and bow tie in matching red, wonder if I have the nerve? I really wanted some in the coffee/brown/bronze colour, but only scored one pair of those. :(

I will see about taking some pictures and putting them up. So far, walking outside on cold days, as long as the skirt is not too thin, and comes below the knee, the legs feel comfortable enough for walking to and fro various places, and certainly to/from a car, waiting at a bus stop might get me rethinking though. If it is windy, then I feel more of a chill at the top of the leg, but not enough to be a serious issue.

I have bought some that were advertised as being "light compression," am interested in finding some heavier versions, as I do think there is a benefit when on my feet all day.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:MOH wears leggings ALL the time and to her they are DEFINITELY a female garment and in our arguments discussions this has often come up. She thinks that I wear or do so many things that are "wimmen's things" as it is. I know that there isn't a great deal of difference between thick tights apart from the tights having feet in them but if I were to wear leggings then I think that it'd be the last straw and confirmation to her that I was turning into a woman. I may as well go ahead have the operation!!!! :roll:
Just because women wear something doesn't mean only women should wear it.

To prove this, try buying a pair of men's "base layer" long underwear. These are basically leggings that come in a package marked, "Men's." They do usually have a fly, but no one sees that anyway.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

prtlysct, I wear thigh highs too. I have pairs in black and natural but they are the thin variety. I bought them cheap from Wilkinson's several years ago as they had a dump bin full of women's underwear and hosiery at really cheap prices. MOH and I bought a high percentage of the stock and are still using them. I haven't seen any thick holdups in any of our local stores but I would like to get some as I prefer the holdups to tights and they're probably healthier.

Cltrn, psychology I know but I could NEVER, EVER convince MOH that my wearing leggings could be a masculine look. Me in those would be probably worse than me in a skirt. If any of you can make the look credible then go for it, but for me, no.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

"Leggings" and "footless tights", to me, just scream, "Fashion Victim". I detested the look in the 1980s, and I detest it again now that it's come back (like a bad penny or painful bout of flatulence).

I find the main problem with them top be the creation of a break in the leg-line, which I happen to like as unbroken as possible. Not to mention that bare feet with coloured legs just look wrong.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

crfriend wrote:"Leggings" and "footless tights", to me, just scream, "Fashion Victim". I detested the look in the 1980s, and I detest it again now that it's come back (like a bad penny or painful bout of flatulence).

I find the main problem with them top be the creation of a break in the leg-line, which I happen to like as unbroken as possible. Not to mention that bare feet with coloured legs just look wrong.
I like this post. I agree 100%.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

300 denier thermal tights are great under motorcycle trousers- Asda £3-4. They do an excellent job of dealing with windchill factors at speed.
I wear 40-150 den ones normally in winter when out and about, with no socks. 80+ look like brushed cotton socks anyway.
I have never found them uncomfortable under trousers, jeans . Why would they be uncomfortable??
I also used them when as a trucker, I used to haul rebar to sites. Standing on the trailer waiting for the crane to offload, it was always cold and wet in winter, but at least my legs were warm. And if they are warm, I am
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:...Cltrn, psychology I know but I could NEVER, EVER convince MOH that my wearing leggings could be a masculine look.
OK, understood, and yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Merino-Bl ... 00JZYIAO0/

Menswear.

Who wears such a garment? Runners, walkers, campers, cyclists, acrobats, dancers, men who work outdoors in winter, Batman...

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Caultron wrote: Just because women wear something doesn't mean only women should wear it.
Tut, tut, Caultron. Go to the bottom of the class! Leggings as outerwear were plucked from long years of neglect by women. This means that they are indelibly marked as women's clothing. For men they are verboten. Surely you know this?

:wink:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I like coloured tights. A bigger contrast to drab men's legwear, I suppose. Yesterday I wore my red ones to my choir practice. Sitting down for a beer afterwards and chatting to a couple of sopranos, one of them commented on what a bright colour they were. "Yeah, they're great, aren't they?" said I. The other said she has a skirt in that shade, and we all agreed the skirt and tights would be a poor combination - too matchy-matchy - and that the dark blue denim skirt which I was wearing was much better. This was the first mention of my attire at choir for ages, and not the slightest hint of disapproval. It all made me feel thoroughly content. 8)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:Tut, tut, Caultron. Go to the bottom of the class! Leggings as outerwear were plucked from long years of neglect by women. This means that they are indelibly marked as women's clothing. For men they are verboten. Surely you know this?
Lots of guys wear tights. Runners, cyclists, dancers, acrobats, Batman...

caultron