men in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: men in tights

Post by skirtingtoday »

I have had a few comments on the tights+skirt combo but only about the skirt so I would say that tights are more common than we all think (certainly tights manufactures are recording huge rises in sales of tight for men - even though they may be that bit more expensive than the equivalent ladies variety.)

I generally stick with the cheaper ladies ones as there is little point and I see no reason to have a zipped variety just to suit men's plumbing. I occasionally wear them in the house with just a T-shirt (no comments from MOH on that - just acceptance, which is good news! :D 8) ) Skirts are still taboo though :(
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I wear tights mostly in the winter to keep my legs warm.
What I ware is dependent on what I'm doing and how I'm dressing for that event.
I have more varieties of tights and pantyhose than I do skits...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

From about November to April, I wear opaque 40 denier tights under my suit. No socks, so the tights are visible. Experience has taught me that tights with a high shine tend to allow the trouser legs to move more freely, so I rarely have the problem of the tights heading south.

Staff are aware that I wear, but as I neither draw atttention to, or conceal, my tights wearing, it's not an issue. I'd love to wear a skirt too (skirt suit, tie) but that's not going to happen sadly.

In summer (mild, not hot days), I wear sheer flesh hosiery under shorts.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Today I'm wearing two pairs of panty hose for the first time. I've heard of it in the past but have never tried it. First pair in a tan color and then a black pair over that. I have to say that the combo is definitely warmer and I Iike the feeling both on my legs and when I rub my hands over them. I'm definitely going to be doing this more often. I don't but on very rare occasions go without some kind of hosiery as my legs in the buff are hideous do to scars and age spots.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Kingussie

Post by Kingussie »

I have been living in tights since late October/early November. They are usually the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night. I studied ballet when I was (much) younger so a guy in tights is no big deal to me. Men wore tights for centuries while women have only had them for 80 years or so. It's time that we reclaim what rightfully belongs to us! :wink:

In winters past, I've stuck with black/navy/gray/forest green to compliment my kilts but this year, I've branched out into a few brighter colours to compliment my skirts. I alternate between opaque (40's) and super opaque (90's) depending on the temperature. It was really cold this morning so I wore a pair of navy 90's to work under my trousers. When I get home, I simply step out of my trousers and into a kilt/skirt. Easy peasy. Some members have complained about friction between the two different fabrics. I've found that a lot depends on the finish of both items. I've got some trousers that have a lot of 'grab' to them, others where it's minimal and yesterday, the ones I had on offered no resistance at all. I'm so used to tights under my trousers that I barely notice that I've got them on.

For those of you on the west side of the pond, my favourite brand is Hue with JC Penney's Worthington brand a distant 2nd. With Hue, the sizing is simple and straightforward; no guesswork. Worthington is somewhat similar. As for footwear, I usually stick with plain loafers or deck shoes. Otherwise, the heavier men's shoes tend to spoil the lines of the kilt/skirt & tights combination 8) .
Kingussie
--------------
Why should the ladies have all the fun?
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I started wearing graduated compression tights (US: pantyhose) in 2007 at the urging of some ladies I knew in nursing because I was on a new job where I was on my feet 12 hours a day every other week and sitting 12 hours a day the alternate week in Humana's NOC. I'd already developed some bad leg cramps as a side effect of my meds - and they helped with that while also keeping my legs feeling good when I got off work.

Starting that summer I started walking about 4.6 miles and ascending/descending an 850' elevation and over about 16 months I lost 55 pounds. Using a stopwatch and heart-rate monitor I determined that the support hose gave me an additional 30 to 45 minutes with a good bit of energy left over at that. (Multiple trips to the hill with and without the hosiery.) Over the last seven years I've had three different medical doctors approve of and recommend continued wearing of support hose. Found the "Legwear As Unisex Fashion" forum in 2009 where similar issues as those discussed here are discussed, Started wearing publicly in shorts and skin-tone, sheer black, navy, blue and so on.

Added opaque tights (US: tights) and never turned back. This winter, thanks to a lady friend I added fleece-lined tights and leggings to my repertoire - which has allowed me to continue going skirted every chance I've had since late April of last year after wearing around the house for a couple days, then out in the yard at night and then jumping right into the pool by going to a major shopping mall, grocery shopping, and wherever I wanted to go.

Still don't wear at work, but I wear _almost_to_ work and _almost_from_ work. With those fleece-lined leggings/tights when it's between 18-50 degrees F outside.

There are good reasons to wear tights, especially if you LIKE to wear them - and as my mom told me: "If you want to wear it, wear it!" :o
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Lightweight thin hosiery (UK tights) do help keep the legs warm but I subscribe to the new heavy weave Jeggings or Leggings sans
the pocket fly detail in denim or other dark neutral colors. Somehow pastels just don't cut the mustard in winter and then there is
that statement about wearing White after Labor Day in the USA. So much for a dress code - comfort is the name of the game.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I should also note that I do not subscribe to wearing the damn pants under skirts or kilts no matter what the weather !
Pantyhose (tights) and leg forming athletic wear jeggings leggings etc. are the comfort level I seek to achieve.
With kilts and tights it is a bit awkward to go semi-formal without the cable knit sox and flashes.
Never the less protection from the elements is paramount - getting goosed by mother nature's induced whirling dervish
without leg protection I can do without.
Wind across the bow (bow legs that is) 20 knots - what an upskirt lifting experience ! LOL
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Kingussie

Post by Kingussie »

pleated wrote:From the Guardian (today)-
http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015 ... ng-hosiery
Well done, Guardian!

It was bitterly cold this morning - and will be so every morning of this week - and it's a long hike into work from the car park. Thank goodness for tights!

I went out last night to shift the recycling bin in a knee-length skirt, super opaque tights & a jacket and I was quite comfy. The air was still so I suppose that helped a lot. :)
Kingussie
--------------
Why should the ladies have all the fun?
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I have responded!
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I wear tights at work under my trousers all year round. Sheer tights in summer through to opaques of varying deniers (40 - 200) in winter depending how cold it is. My colleagues know that I wear.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

I normally wear skirts without tights; or shorts with tights under, but on Sat I'm trying a camo-skirt with either fishnet or finemesh tights; apparantly it's a fashion faux-pas to wear socks with tights :shock: , so send for the fashion police because That's What I Like!! :twisted:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I have the fashion police occupying the right hand side of my bed and she doesn't approve of anything remotely unbifurcated, or tights, for that matter in my wardrobe.
In order to indulge myself in such finery I must await opportunities when she is away, which are seldom, as she is wedded to our garden and her menagerie of dependent poultry and pets.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

howardfh wrote:I normally wear skirts without tights; or shorts with tights under, but on Sat I'm trying a camo-skirt with either fishnet or finemesh tights; apparantly it's a fashion faux-pas to wear socks with tights :shock: , so send for the fashion police because That's What I Like!! :twisted:
Hi Howardfh - over this winter, I have been wearing tights (generally black) under trousers at work. And I wear socks over the tights as well as you. (more Fashion Police needed here!) :shock: :lol:

In the evening I keep them on (tights and sox) but without the trousers, only changing the work shirt for a T-shirt. At least I have acceptance for that at home. 8) But sadly not skirts - that remains only for times when she is not around :(

At those times, I wear a skirt with the tights - even a short denim mini isn't too cold :santa: When the weather gets warmer again the tights will go back in the drawer - though I am condidering wearing some coloured tights (see photos elsewhere) with my skirts. :shock:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels