Double Standard on Dancing With the Stars

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Double Standard on Dancing With the Stars

Post by jamie001 »

Dancing With the Stars featured a dance with Jonathan Bennett and Allison Holker where they both were dressed in men's suits, men's white shirts, men's black ties, and men's shoes. They scored highly on this dance and not a word was said about how Allison Holker was dressed.

Now let's consider if the situation were reversed. Suppose they were both dressed in feminine skirts and wearing women's shoes. I would be willing the bet that the reaction would have been much different.
Last edited by jamie001 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Double Standard on Dancing With the Stars

Post by JohnH »

This double standard is brought about by what I call Male Anxiety or Masculine Anxiety - where men impose coffin sized standards of clothing and grooming on themselve. I do expand the envelope quite a bit - I have hair that hangs below my shoulders, have transparent nail polish on my fingernails, and wear subtle lipstick and eye makeup. I have a feminine figure with hips and breasts, and yet I have a bass speaking voice and a very deep basso profundo singing voice.

I see men with high squeaky voices try to put on a masculine act. I ask myself - why? Why not simply be yourself?

John
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

I saw Wicked in Utah before I moved this year and one of the male actors during the school scenes and the dance scene wore a long skirt. During the school scenes, it was meant to look like the girls uniform skirts the rest of the actresses were wearing, except his was longer in length. And I think two male actors wore skirts during the school dance scene, long ones again. In all scenes though, they looked "male looking" in all other ways aside from the skirt. So, in all places, Utah, there was some clothing equality during a theatrical performance.

Even these people noticed it:

Warning: idiotic comments appear in this link:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/read ... ead=696268
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I suspected that "Dancing with the Stars" equates to Strictly Come Dancing in the U.K. On checking good old Wikki, that seems to be correct. There even appears to be judges in common to both shows. I can't comment on either because I've never watched them.
I am really aware that "Strictly", draws a huge audience here and I'd assume the same for the U.S. for "Dancing".
Now this is what we term "Reality T.V.", and that could not be further from the truth of the matter.
Here, after every episode there are always headlines in some of the papers about who has been "voted out". That is usually accompanied by lamentations, hysteria and beating of chests on social media sites from otherwise sane individuals. This actually applies to nearly all programmes of this genre. This is not to mention the discussions that I overhear in the office, some quite heated.
The real "reality", is that the producers of these shows will court controversy to an acceptable level for the programme's ratings,generally to strive to increase them.
They are not so likely to challenge the status quo and that means double standards in dress for men and women. Sadly, these people are very well placed to actually challenge the norms, but their market says "NO"!
The "idiotic comments" in the article are just a small indicator of just how powerful that NO could be to these people.
Nope, life aint fair.
Steve.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I was on a flight from a small Bay Area airport to Seattle a week ago and as we were preparing to depart the flight attendant announced that a contestant from DWtS was seated near the rear of the airplane and would we give him a round of applause? I am aware of existence of this program, but that's about it. I just continued to read my book.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

So sorry to digress, but on the subject of reality T.V.
It seems there's a new show about to hit the American screens "Great Scottish Estates".
I've only read the "blurb", please don't judge us from this.
Steve.
I only hope that this has not come too late!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There's a programme on BBC2 called "The Great British Sewing Bee" in which a group of contestants compete an display their sewing skills through a series of tasks including making things such as dresses, skirts and trousers from scratch and adapting existing items. One contestant is eliminated each week, Perhaps I should write in and suggest a task to be designing and making a skirt for a man and see what their perceptions are. It also might stretch their horizons a bit.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Worth a try Dennis, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Don't hold your breath for a positive reply though, "reality T.V."?
That said, I caught a bit of something similar which was done for Children in Need. They had one of the "Hairy Bikers" designing and making a dress, albeit for a girl. I might have been impressed if I hadn't seen him on another show the previous day. Turns out, he had been a senior costume designer for the BBC in a previous existence.
How that relates to becoming a cookery guru, only RTV can tell!
As for the dress, I've no idea who came out top, just that he was the only guy in the group.
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Over the last couple of weeks I have been watching something I would definitely say IS reality TV. A three part documentary about Sauchiehall street and the people living and working there. Real people, real lives and a lot of sweary words. Quite entertaining if you don't mind the sweary words. Much better than freak shows like Big Brother or The Apprentice.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

That sound like my kind of T.V.
Which channell is it on?
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Stevie, it was on BBC1, unfortunately the third of three was a week or two ago, you may find it on the Iplayer if you are lucky.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!