Necklace as... neck tie?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Necklace as... neck tie?

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:A question for members:

What is the future of mens' bling?
Rings, bracelets, watches, necklaces, tie clips, tie pins, shirt studs, cuff links, earrings, pierced lips, noses, nipples, and navels, all perfectly acceptable. What else could the future bring?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I would add lapel pins to the list.

There is something I can see going out of fashion-piercings (except for earrings). I associate those with generation X.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It occurred to me that change might be easier for jewelry, than for skirts. Because with jewelry change can be incremental, starting small. Skirts don't lend themselves to incremental change.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Grok wrote: The Wikipedia article indicates that the mineral is actually iron ore, and , if I understand correctly, it may be magnetic.
Right, Hemitite does have magnetic properties. I have to be careful not to swallow anything metallic.
Last edited by crfriend on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting syntax
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Grok wrote:[...] Skirts don't lend themselves to incremental change.
Hemlines do.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

rick401r wrote:
Grok wrote: The Wikipedia article indicates that the mineral is actually iron ore, and , if I understand correctly, it may be magnetic.
Right, Hemitite does have magnetic properties. I have to be careful not to swallow anything metallic.

Wearing s full-length wool plaid wrap skirt with a hematite anklet and gold and silver toe rings today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by barefoot_kevin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Some subcultures, such as emo and goth, have jewelry for men. Jewelry with subculture themes, of course.

As for change in mainstream culture, I have very low expectations.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm wearing a Goth bracelet...silver skulls separated by black beads.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

rick401r wrote:I work part time at a jewelry boutique. So I make and repair different pieces. I wear a beaded, choker type necklace of Hemitite. I think it looks good and Hemitite is supposed to have some healing properties if you believe in that stuff.
My natural Hematite items are attracted to a magnet, but they're not magnetic themselves (won't stick to a piece of steel). My artificial hematite (I think the trade name is Hemalite) doesn't seem to attract magnets.
A friend, who makes various pieces of bling for me, claims hematite is good for the blood. But she believes in that stuff.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I have for years worn a copper bracelet. Mainly because I particularly like the color of copper, whether polished or not (mine never stays polished for long, so I've given up trying). Partly -- or is it just an excuse? -- because they say it helps ward off rheumatism. Whether it works or not, I can not tell, but my wrists and fingers are in good working order, and I'm still quite pain free except for my feet. Should I try an ankle chain?
I asked if my neck chain could be copper-plated, but was told it could not. It is surprising how rare copper jewelry can be.
Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

If I was going for an ankle chain, Martin, I would suggest it be long enough so that you can put the 16Lb./7.5Kg.ball on the bike carrier so as not to interfere with your pedalling 8)

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Grok wrote: One of the people who commented suggested that a fountain pen can be a nice piece of bling.
I will go on record the only bling I ever wear is a wedding ring.

However, in my case a shirt pocket is useless since I have - um, let's put it in a masculine context, non-muscular "pecs".

However, I do think a simple gold necklace or pendant would be nice. And I hate neckties.

John
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I also wear an 'anklet' or ankle chain at times. It's actually an old pocket-watch chain retasked for foot ornamentation. I rarely wear rings, eben my wedding ring, as the feeling annoys me. Sometimes I have worn toe rings, but don't very often.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

skirted_in_SF wrote:My natural Hematite items are attracted to a magnet, but they're not magnetic themselves (won't stick to a piece of steel). My artificial hematite (I think the trade name is Hemalite) doesn't seem to attract magnets.
A friend, who makes various pieces of bling for me, claims hematite is good for the blood. But she believes in that stuff.
That's interesting. Once I thought that I had lost my hematite anklet, only to spot it a few days later stuck to the steel wall behind the taps at my local brewpub. The girl behind the bar said that they found it on the floor, had washed it, and had been playing with it since then, making all kinds of shapes out of it. I guess some hematite is more magnetic than others.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm no physicist, but can some magnetic propreties not be transferred between certain materials?
Steve.