Freestyle Fashion and Religion

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Freestyle Fashion and Religion

Post by Sinned »

Rlph, thank you for your post and my smile at your self-deprecating view of yourself. Maybe if we all were that brutally honest we would wear the all-enclosing niqab ( or whatever it's called - can't keep up with all these clothing names nowadays - you know the all enclosing black garment that muslim women are forced to wear ). Me. If I look ridiculous in a skirt then I would look ridiculous in shorts so no change there. I appreciate that you live in the sort of culture that would make it difficult for you to appear as you would really want to dress and it is common sense to put your safety before all else - not just physically but emotionally and socially. No-one could ever condemn you for that. I doubt things will ever change where you are because in those types of society opinions become not only entrenched but self-reinforcing. Still, there are holidays where you are physically away from the normal social mores and can let your hair down and dress up as you please. Can be very cathartic and liberating in the absence of any other possibility. I feel lucky and almost humble in living in a social environment where, up to now, people ( apart form MOH ) don't appear to care how I dress.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Sinned - I think the niqab is a solid cloth placed over and covers part of a hijab (which is the veil to see through) and is worn by Muslim women along with the burkah which is the full length body-cloak garment.

I too am also happy that I can wear what skirts I want outside and be accepted. I do not wish to be or appear as a woman either - just happy to be a bloke in a skirt.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote:Rlph, there are holidays where you are physically away from the normal social mores and can let your hair down and dress up as you please. Can be very cathartic and liberating in the absence of any other possibility. I feel lucky and almost humble in living in a social environment where, up to now, people ( apart form MOH ) don't appear to care how I dress.
Perhaps a skirted get together?
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I don't believe in gods, so I cannot answer your questions, but given that most religious tomes and groups promote tolerance, I'd say that a church or similar is as good a place as any to wear a skirt.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Ray wrote:...given that most religious tomes and groups promote tolerance, I'd say that a church or similar is as good a place as any to wear a skirt.
Unfortunately many religions may appear to promote tolerance but when actions are considered they turn out to be either conservative and opposed to change or limited to the changes they are seeking to promote. This is a classic case of "Know your enemy" as Sun Tzu would have said (though perhaps the word "enemy" is inappropriate in this context).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I agree. Most religon operates on the basis of conformity unless it is a denomination that accepts shades of gray in theology, like maybe Unitarians.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...