Vans Shoes Offers Unisex Wedge Heel Hightop

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Departed Member

Vans Shoes Offers Unisex Wedge Heel Hightop

Post by Departed Member »

I can't say I'm much interested in heels, although I wouldn't mind trying wedges to see if they are supportive of the feet. I've tried on stilettos before and that ain't happening again, but wedges actually look pretty comfortable, and I don't see why men shouldn't be able to wear them also if they are comfy and supportive of the feet. Interestingly, Vans Shoes has made a unisex wedge high top in the style of the old Sk8-Hi, offered in both mens and womens sizes, albeit very small for men. I'm a size 13-14 in men's shoes, so there's no way I'd be able to try these, but for those interested in heels for men on this forum, here's a shoes you could try. They come in different colors; I'm quite partial to the brown actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Vans-Unisex-Sk8-H ... B00DJBNJ7I
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Re: Vans Shoes Offers Unisex Wedge Heel Hightop

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

"Wedge"? they look darn-near flat to me. Certainly no greater heel rise than a typical men's dress shoe. But then again, I'm certainly no expert on footwear :lol:
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I agree...the "wedge" is virtually unseen. And like you, PB, the size isn't approaching my feet! I'd love to see more options available for men, though, like wedges, T-straps, and MJ styling.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Sorry but I have only one word for them - - UGLY :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

I think if you look at the side view you can see the wedge more, starting just above the black suede part on the back of the shoe and sloping down on the blue padded part; it looks like its a wedge insert that is removable, so if you look at the top down view it doesn't seem to be in there. I wanna say the wedge measures to 3 inches, according to another site selling the same product, but not entirely sure. I think the whole point is to keep the wedge hidden in a street/skate shoe. I used to own the standard mens versions growing up skating, so I'm kind of partial to this particular design for that reason. I can see how one would think they are ugly tho.

I've been trying to find some wedge flip-flops, to see how comfortable they are, but it's that darn sizing problem as usual. And they tend to have glittery rhine stones on the straps, which I'm not a fan of.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

If its just heals you're after Western Riding Boots have a pretty good lift. Look for the real riding heals, not the flat walking heals I saw on "cowboy boots" in New England. The riding heal is tall to keep your foot from slipping through the stirrup, and has a lip on the back to support spurs. Changing heal height should be done with care. Wearing river sandals most of the time, I get terrible calf cramps after a day of walking around in riding boots. As far as looking good with skirts, my packer boots (lace up riding boots) look great with my black denim Utilikilt.

OK, proof read next time... spell check gave me "heal" not "heel."
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm a fan of clogs and flip-flops since they are slip-on and kick-off, which can be done quickly and while standing. Most Scandinavian clogs give a pretty good heel lift, especially the wooden-sole ones. You need to get a good fit for wooden-sole clogs however, since "falling off clogs" accidents are not uncommon, and I have had it happen to me, especially on carpeted floors, with Bastaadt and Sven clogs. Lately I have been mainly wearing Sanita closed back clogs, however. My daily work shoes are mostly Keen Utility styles. Keen usually has sizes for everyone, as does UGG. I'd still like to try some wedges or chunky heels with a lot of lift, just for the experience of it. I'm afraid I have to agree with Al about those Vans...I think they are for my kids' generation, not mine.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Taj wrote:OK, proof read next time... spell check gave me "heal" not "heel."
When it comes to the (f)utility of spelling checkers, I recommend Owed to a Spell Chequer.

On the topic of heels, when I was in my late teens and very early 20s 2-inch heeled shoed for guys were very common and were my preferred style. However, like the best of the results of experimentation in style for guys from the '60s and '70s they were swept away with the drab movement from the 1980s which remains for most in full force 30 years later and what passes for men's shoes is fully as awful as what passes for male clothing.

The sizes that high-top trainers referred to above come in demonstrates that they are not "unisex" but rather aimed straight at the girl's market as they only brush the lower end of typical male sizes.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

If it weren't for my wife I would wear heels and wedge shoes. I feel comfortable in anything up to 3 1/2 inches tall. Dead flat shoes (with no heel) are uncomfortable to my feet.

What is so disgusting about the "drab" movement is men who want to wear a much wider variety of clothes and shoes feel like they have to "pass" as genetic women. Otherwise they get labeled as perverts.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I have a pair of Wedge High Tops. The manufacture called them Wedge sneakers.
To most people they look like regular high top shoes but there is a 2" wedge insert inside.
I wear them quite often and no one had made a comment about them at all, The just look like extra large high tops sneakers on a big man with big feet While they are comfortable but I would not recommend running in them.
I have big feet and those Vans don't some anywhere near my size.
I wear a Mens 13US / Womens 15 US shoe.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

John, phatback, Elevated heels are often recomended to relieve plantar fasciitis (sp) which I have suffered for some time. There are two schools of thought on that condition. One recommends elevated heels to relieve the strain on the tendons, and the other recommends negative heel shoes (Birks, Earth, Naot) to stretch the tendons. Since I lost a good portion of my former mass, my symptoms have improved dramatically. If I ever found some different elevated heel shoes, I would naturally like them to be "edgy" in a style that leaves people wondering if they were styled for men or for women.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have no need of heels of any sort. I am 5'8" and MOH is 4'10" so it's her that needs the heels.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Oh, I think I get it now. It's a "stealth" heel - for people who want to raise their heels (either for comfort/posture or to make themselves appear taller) while seeming to be wearing ordinary shoes.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
scooterskirt

Post by scooterskirt »

I have a pair of those I got from Payless and they are great, I wear them all the time. They look pretty much like regular high tops.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

dillon wrote:John, phatback, Elevated heels are often recomended to relieve plantar fasciitis (sp) which I have suffered for some time. There are two schools of thought on that condition. One recommends elevated heels to relieve the strain on the tendons, and the other recommends negative heel shoes (Birks, Earth, Naot) to stretch the tendons. Since I lost a good portion of my former mass, my symptoms have improved dramatically. If I ever found some different elevated heel shoes, I would naturally like them to be "edgy" in a style that leaves people wondering if they were styled for men or for women.
For those afflicted with Plantar Fasciitis the second stretch exercise from this link worked well for me. It took 10 days or two weeks for my problem to go away. I still do the stretch two or three times a week as PM. I weigh about 140 pounds on 5 feet 9 inches, so excess weight wasn't the problem.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00149
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco