Good reasoning to wear skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Good reasoning to wear skirts

Post by STEVIE »

B&B,
Heck, I must really go to the wrong weddings. I've only had that done to me once and it was by a very tipsy Granny who wouldn't have recognised anything anyway.
Listen up, listen good, come to Scotland, wear the Kilt, you will be most welcome.
What you choose to wear under it will mostly be your own business unless you choose otherwise.
That then is your own lookout.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I completely disagree with Big and Bashful. You MUST wear underwear beneath your kilt -anything else is gross, especially if the kilt is hired. In most civilised places in Scotland no one will lift up your kilt, though at a wedding some are influenced by alcohol and it could happen - and there will be laughter whether or not there is underwear. You will not be laughed out of the room/country. Just go for it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I must say that in a year and a half of wearing kilts almost everywhere, no one has come even close to lifting my hem to see what, if anything, is underneath.

And if they did, and found what they were either expecting or hoping for, I presume they'd be intrigued rather than offended. I mean, the percentage who were hoping to find underwear must be pretty small.

When people ask (and they do) I usually hedge at first, and then if they persist I try to answer indirectly as in, "Let's just say there's good ventilation." And at that point nobody so far's been offended. Intrigued, maybe, quizzical, maybe, but not offended.

And as times goes by, I get asked less and less, even by total strangers. I like to think that comes from exuding an aura of self-confidence but maybe it's just from being a bigger nutcase. Who knows?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I agree that when you rent a kilt for a wedding or some other occasion, yes, you should wear underwear. For one thing, you don't want to return it soiled and be told you have to buy it. For another, you don't want anybody else's, uh, perspiration in it when you put it on the first time, nor the next person yours, even with dry-cleaning. And as an inexperienced kilt-wearer, you need extra precautions.

On certain occasions I do wear underwear beneath a kilt, such as getting a physical exam from a doctor other than a urologist and hiking with a group.

The issue when hiking with a group is to not expose myself if I trip, slip, fall down, or need to climb up rocks or whatever.

And in cold weather and when going to hockey games I do sometimes wear heavy tights.

But in most other situations it's just me and the kilt and it's never been a problem.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

For hygiene and ventilation you can choose a half slip. Or, if it bothers you that slips are women's underwear, go for an underkilt. http://www.jdez.com/men/underkilt/ . It used to bother me but I got over it!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtyscot wrote:For hygiene and ventilation you can choose a half slip. Or, if it bothers you that slips are women's underwear, go for an underkilt. http://www.jdez.com/men/underkilt/ . It used to bother me but I got over it!
I always wear a half slip under my kilts. What other underwear I do or do not choose does not need to be revealed here (or anywhere else). The reason for the slip are:

:arrow: It provides a soft layer keeping harsher fabric away from my legs.
:arrow: It does not lift in the wind as it is a close fit with plenty of stretch to avoid restricting my stride.
:arrow: If I get too hot and sweat, the slip is simply easier to wash, dries fast and does not require pressing.

Since I do not now what others are wearing under their clothes, and know no more about their personal hygiene habits, I, unlike some others, will not condemn anyone for their choice of underwear or not.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree with n in that I tend to wear a slip under some skirts. Women used to wear slips as a normal part of skirt wearing and I was taught that a slip minimises static cling with lighter material skirts and in particular those made from man-made fibres such as nylon, rayon and silky stuff. I enjoy a slip - it's smooth, silky and feels sensual. I have only one kilt ( that fits ) and I will wear a slip underneath irrespective of whatever underwear I wear. :oops:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

I can't remember if I passed this tip along or not. If one is handy with needle and thread he can make a bandana breach clout as in what the American natives sometimes wore. There were two types one that pulled through the legs and one that was just an apron in front and the same in back. Fold or cut two bandanas to preferred dimensions, sew the sides together with wide bands of elastic and wear like a slip. Cheap, washable, comfortable kilt undergarment, well ventilated.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

You can also try Comfilon Kilt Liners :D

I've used their "hose" for many years. My last purchase,
8 years ago, was 10 pair and I wore out the last pair
about a year ago. With proper care, they last a long time :)
I wore them as they helped stop leg cramps and DVT.
Now I wear Futuro Brand over-the-calf Restoring Dress Socks.
They work wonders :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Taj wrote:I can't remember if I passed this tip along or not. If one is handy with needle and thread he can make a bandana breach clout as in what the American natives sometimes wore. There were two types one that pulled through the legs and one that was just an apron in front and the same in back. Fold or cut two bandanas to preferred dimensions, sew the sides together with wide bands of elastic and wear like a slip. Cheap, washable, comfortable kilt undergarment, well ventilated.
Or buy a leather loincloth, I did, it would work as a liner as well, same idea, panels front and back and a tie type waist band.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

....and when you swing from tree to tree no-one can see nowt!

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Big and Bashful wrote:Or buy a leather loincloth, I did, it would work as a liner as well, same idea, panels front and back and a tie type waist band.
I'd have thought that the easy washability of a slip might be somewhat compromised by a shift to leather...

Mind you, good quality leather could feel rather, uhhh, well... How should I put this? Interesting? :oops:

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

OK, so I was curious. I don't remember ever using it for anything. I'm a bit fat for Tarzan impressions! Tarzipan maybe!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Tanned buckskin is quite soft, but as the American frontiersmen experienced, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The trappers (mountain men) traded buckskin for cloth when they could. Buckskins were a choice from necessity rather than style.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

As the poster who steered the discussion toward "undies or not", can I sum up? Like other wardrobe decisions, a certain amount of common sense is required, with several factors going into the equation.

These factors may point toward wearing undies:
Is your skirt short?
Is your skirt translucent or at least not totally opaque?
Will you be climbing, squatting, playing, or doing similar physical movements in the presence of others (especially children)?
Is your skirt made of thin or loose material that could easily be caught by the wind?
Is your skirt made of fine, light-colored, or expensive material that you would never want stained?
Do you have a medical reason to be concerned with staining?
Do you expect to have to use the toilet (to defecate) soon and worry about staining?
Do you like the comfort that undies provide?

These factors may encourage going commando:
Do you like the feel of the breeze on your privates?
Is your skirt long?
Is your skirt opaque?
Is your skirt made of material that you wouldn't mind a minor stain on? (or practice excellent hygiene?)
Are you good about remembering how to sit properly so as to always avoid unintentional flashing?
Are you bothered by undies binding or chafing?
Are you wearing a traditional Scottish kilt, and feel that going commando is also traditional?

The suggestions about half slips (or full slips for that matter) are of course valid; common sense is again required; they can handle the staining issue but would not do much to prevent exposure in a very short skirt.

In 2-3 years of skirt wearing I have only had four people ask me about what I wore underneath (friends at dinner parties usually). Once when I wore a mid-calf denim skirt a gal asked "So the big question is… do you wear anything underneath?" I answered "Of course not! Why would I?" and we all laughed. At other times I've said "well, actually, to the the truth, I'm wearing sandals."

So just be yourself, wear undergarments if you like, be careful if you don't, just enjoy skirting.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!