Good reasoning to wear skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Good reasoning to wear skirts

Post by Sinned »

OK I tried to be polite. I am a diabetic and hence am subject to a bit more ( non-smelly ) wind than most non-diabetics and occasionally am subject to a very small amount of rear "leakage" which for me makes underwear and frequent loo visits essential. Unfortunately even that small amount on a light coloured skirt ( worn without underwear ) would leave a mark. So cleanliness is more important to me than going commando.

So there!!!! :oops:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Can anyone help this man to find brown slips? :D
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

At the risk of repeating my earlier objections to "going commando", you need only Google the topic to find a long list of skirted male creeps and perverts exposing themselves in public. I don't think anyone writing here would do that deliberately, but even a brief accidental exposure has a huge negative impact on the image of the skirted male, and affects us all badly as a community. None of us are absolutely individual in this pursuit, as long as we are breaking with the norm, and, as PR and image consultants often say, a good impression is seldom shared with more than one or two others, but a bad impression gets shared with EVERYONE. I don't mind people thinking I am weird for the way I dress, but I don't want to be labelled a pervert because of the thoughtless act of someone else.

Also, personally, I like the support of underwear, much as many women like the support of a bra, I suppose, and just don't relate to any great pleasure from having the church bells swinging against the clapper all the time... Life requires sitting at times, and I don't really like sitting with my legs totally closed just to keep someone's eyes from accidentally seeing something they would rather not.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

dillon wrote: ...you need only Google the topic to find a long list of skirted male creeps and perverts exposing themselves in public.

I don't know how you found this idea, Dillon; I followed your suggestion and found NO mention of men in skirts acting anti-socially. Where skirts were mentioned, it was the women that were wearing them. Lots of references to creeps taking photos uninvited, and men in traditional everyday clothing loitering around schools or ladies' clubs. Lots of references to the fact that women often feel ill at ease in company of men who start eyeing them or touching them.
I did find a website whose sole aim appeared to be to persuade me that transvestites were mentally sick trouble makers that should be routed out of society. Pers

Yes, you do find a lot of silly men that think they are funny wearing the kilt at a wedding and collectively mooning the photographer, but this is just play-acting, certainly not sexual harassment. I think they statement you made above can not be based on much evidence.

On the other hand, I do agree with you on this : " I don't want to be labelled a pervert because of the thoughtless act of someone else." Indeed, I'd prefer to think I pass as just an ordinary citizen who happens to like comfortable clothes, and hope that other skirted men will behave too in a responsible manner.

Martin
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news/Man-expose ... 91331.html

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/12/ ... f-to-kids/

http://wqad.com/2012/04/04/east-moline- ... hell-park/

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 05x3231929

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/pub ... est-896032

Martin, these were on the first page of my Google search. If you want to be grouped with these creeps, that's your business. No one will care if an exposure by a skirted man is accidental or intentional; they will simply assume he's a sicko.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Dillon;

And if you were to do a search of "men who exposed themselves" regardless of what they were wearing, how many hits would you get?

The point is that news services grab any news article that is "sensational" in attracting readers/viewers to increase their circulation or ratings.

You wrote, "... you want to be grouped with these creeps ...", the only valid answer is that none of us want to be grouped with those who expose themselves to children regardless of what they were wearing. Since they are men and we are men - we are already grouped with those creeps.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

....and if women accidentally expose their bits or underwear then it's more a case of intrigue but if a man were to do the same then it's perversion....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Sinned wrote:....and if women accidentally expose their bits or underwear then it's more a case of intrigue but if a man were to do the same then it's perversion....
True - there's that old double standard that shouldn't exist.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

PatJ wrote:Dillon;

And if you were to do a search of "men who exposed themselves" regardless of what they were wearing, how many hits would you get?

The point is that news services grab any news article that is "sensational" in attracting readers/viewers to increase their circulation or ratings.

You wrote, "... you want to be grouped with these creeps ...", the only valid answer is that none of us want to be grouped with those who expose themselves to children regardless of what they were wearing. Since they are men and we are men - we are already grouped with those creeps.
Pat, with all due respect, let me just say that I, for one, am not grouped with them because I am not exposing myself or placing myself at risk of an accidental genital exposure. I hope you will take a moment to consider the entire picture, especially that there is no defense - and none was ever offered - of any man exposing himself, whether skirted or otherwise.

What you did not seem to grasp from my comments, and perhaps I was too quick in making my comments so assumed that everyone did grasp, is the extent to which the question of a skirted man's motive and intent exists in the minds of many who first encounter a man wearing a skirt or dress. We can all argue that such judgement isn't right or fair, yet its unfairness does not alter the fact that it happens. If the man's skirt should be raised by a gust of wind, a simple misstep, or a brief attention lapse, and an accidental glimpse of underwear occurs, it is pretty much just an accident in the eye of the beholder. Sans underwear, however, a glimpse of male genitalia, even though unintentional and brief, becomes a reportable, chargeable offense, and would, if you will forgive my pessimism (which I construe as realism), only act to fuel the idea that man in skirt = pervert. It is just the sort of titillating story that local news media seem to love.

Like it or not, a skirted man is judged from the moment he is first seen, and what one of us does could, potentially, negatively affect the entire small community of skirted men. IMHO, going commando in public spaces does no favors for this community and, from my POV, is an ill-considered act of self-indulgence. If you want to walk around in a skirt with no underwear, and the notion of unshaken-off urine drops or hash mark smudging is not an issue to you, then be my guest to do so. I can only urge that you do so in the proper venue, and it is my opinion that a public space frequented by others - the 'innocent bystanders' - is not the proper venue for doing so. Naturally, you are free to disagree. You may not consider yourself to be "your brother's keeper", and no one requires you to be, but I'm hopeful that, by now, you at least see my point.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I heartily agree with dlln on this one. Going commando is an indulgence in our situation and one that we could very much do without in view of the perceptions of the unwashed masses! :D
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Dillon,
If you ever visit Scotland, don't do it in a kilt. If people (ecspecially women) discovered you were wearing underwear under a kilt you would be laughed out of the room! At least that happens at events like wedding receptions, groups of tipsy women do like to "proof test" the kilted men. All part of the fun at an event like that.
As for the hygiene issue, I have never had a problem with smears, and thankfully the plumbing still works properly. Also with knee length A-line or longer skirts I find there is no issue with concealment. Only the elkommando hiking kilt got awkward and then only in very strong winds, where I have had to hold on to the front outer apron to keep the wind off my left leg, even then modesty was preserved by the inner apron. Now that I know that, I steer clear of wrap type skirts when it's very windy, that includes heavy traditional kilts or any other skirt with deep pleats as they are prone to lifting too much in the wind. A-line skirts don't fly high as they are tight enough to just flap around my legs.
I would not wear anything short of knee length without underwear, however I am very unlikely to ever wear anything more than an inch or two above the knee anyway, I am not the right shape and when sitting I still want the hemline to be close to my knees for comfort and cover.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Although I certainly don't advocate exposing oneself in public, I don't see a problem with going regimental/commando if one is careful. Things like sitting down and getting in and out of cars do take a little practice.

When I first started going out kilted quite a few people (mostly women) asked me what I was wearing underneath. Sometimes I just gave them a raised eyebrow, but after a while I started replying, "I'll tell if you will." And if they did I did. And no one was ever offended; they were much more likely intrigued.

It's been a long time now since anyone has asked, and I wonder about that. I think it might be because I exude more confidence now but it's hard to say for sure.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I stated an opinion and articulated the reasons I hold that opinion, and I feel that I did so with due diplomacy. I did not expect that some would take the opinions as personal insults. They were certainly not intended as such. However, I don't think I should have to pull any punches when civilly expressing an opinion.

I am also sure that most men try to be careful not to expose themselves when skirted or kilted. I just think that in public it is better to be safe than sorry. There are lots of opportunities to go commando that do not entail a risk of public exposure.

B&B, I am sure there are many cultural differences between Scotland and the US, and I am glad that such things are not taken as seriously in Scotland. Unfortunately here, where kilts and skirts on men are very rare, even an accidental exposure to a woman or child is a serious matter. I would love to visit Scotland, but I do hope that an underkilt check is not an entrance requirement, and I would presume the Scots are polite enough not to ask. However, if I was laughed at for wearing boxers, i am afraid I would also be laughed at without them! :lol:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

How's this: I'll grant you your opinion if you'll grant me mine.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Dillon, no the "kit check" is not an entrance requirement, just a regular occurance in parties and wedding receptions. (Or once walking down a Sheffield street! The guy who did it was more startled than I was! In a traditional kilt people are far more likely to question you, normally asking what tartan you are wearing. I love wearing a proper kilt, in full formal kit I feel as if I look far better than I do in a 3 piece suit, it has always amazed me how in central Scotland, an ankle length denim cargo skirt attracts less attention than a traditional kilt (worn informally). If you do visit, you will have a great time whatever you choose to wear!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!