Chest hair

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Dinoco

Chest hair

Post by Dinoco »

Hello all,
I just found a dress that meets my lengthy list of qualifications (fit, length, material, cut) after a very long time searching... hooray! However, it's not perfect: the neckline is cut about an inch and a half lower than that of a shirt, which is enough to reveal my copious chest hair. The effect is off-putting to say the least; suggests "naked guy in dress" moreso than "sharp-looking unconventionally dressed guy." Any thoughts on this problem? I've tried wearing shirts under the dress, which looks decent but seems to somewhat defeat the purpose. I suppose I could just eliminate that part of my chest hair as well, though I'd rather not.
Cheers!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Chest hair

Post by crfriend »

Dinoco wrote:Hello all,
I suppose I could just eliminate that part of my chest hair as well, though I'd rather not.
A possibility might be to pick up a non-frilly lightweight camisole, perhaps in a contrasting colour, and wear that under the dress. This is a common trick the gals use, either as a pop of colour or if a dress shows a bit too much cleavage for a situation or their own comfort level.

You can also try varying the type/style of shirt. You didn't tell us whether the dress has sleeves or not; that will make a big difference in what options are open and/or viable.

Don't worry, the problem is likely solvable without having to resort to a lawn-mower.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A hedge cutter, more like :lol:

Ever consider a crevatte!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:A hedge cutter, more like :lol:
Power-tools... Where would we be without power-tools?
Ever consider a crevatte!
That's another idea, or even a very lightweight scarf if the neckline-opening is too big for a cravat.

I've seen some amazing things done with scarves over the years with frequently very attractive results.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Shave. It's in style these days. Check out almost any photo of any male model with his shirt off.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Are you handy with a needle and thread? You could always sew a narrow insert into the neckline of the same material but in some similar or contrasting colour. Again that's a trick some gals use to cover their décolletage, or in your case, chest hair. It's the one problem that I have with dresses - they are designed to show off that part of the woman's chest and that's the area that we want to cover.

Krbstn, is the word cravat that you are looking for?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Shows how often I use one or the word, for that matter. Yes. Your spelling is probably the correct one

My solution would be not the wear the dress at all.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I second Carl's idea of a camisole or a tank top underneath, maybe a boat-neck leotard.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Caultron wrote:Shave. It's in style these days. Check out almost any photo of any male model with his shirt off.
Yup, this is what I've resigned to doing. Not because of wearing revealing dresses, but I normally look like Chewbacca with the amount of body hair on me. It's enough that when the temperatures start getting warm, I turn into this sweaty and stinky blob. It also has started growing in a strange way, especially on the chest. For the most part, it's not too bad, but right around where the pecs are, everything's very fuzzy. Looks like a fur bikini top. So, I've started shaving my torso weekly. Whole chest, stomach, and upper arms. Still need to have someone do the back, so I can get rid of the patches of fur back there. Eventually, if I happen to win the lottery or get gainfully employed again, I'll have everything, except my lower arms, my face, and my scalp, defuzzed permanently.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I like the naturalness of chest hair. It also communicates that a man is not pretending to be a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kilted_John wrote:[...]I normally look like Chewbacca with the amount of body hair on me.
I am of two minds on this topic, and you can either take this as gospel or garbage (equal weight, mind ;) ) but I've always thought that if one can grow a decent pelt then show it off! Yours truly, on the other hand, tends to look like the moths have been at him when he's not covered; as such, I started shaving my legs well before I took up skirts and am generally very reticent about going shirtless or dealing with very low necklines.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Carl,

I'm kind of in the same boat. Where I have hair, it's thick and wooly (definitely "wookie-like", but where the hair doesn't exist, it's almost completely bare. So, shaving is a good thing.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

Dinoco,
nice to hear that you bought a dress and hopefully you enjoy the freedom of wearing dresses. To respond on your request, I do have some dresses with the same open neckline and I do wear a shirt or a T shirt under the dress.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Kilted_John wrote:Eventually, I'll have everything, except my lower arms, .... defuzzed permanently.

-J
Strange!
As I got hairier and whiter, my arms were the first thing to be shaved, then the backs of my hands too, as they looked a real mess. I also tried wax, but found it painful and inefficient. One of the many drawbacks of advancing years, whiskers start growing longer and whiter in all the wrong places. As long as my chest and pubic hair was dark, I just thought of it as part of nature, but now I find it all esthetically distasteful and get rid of much of it as is comfortable.
And this has nothing at all to do with skirts.
Martin
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

MOH likes the chest hair, hairy legs and arms so I won't be getting a dress anytime soon (not that that is something I would want anyway, personally speaking) as I would look like a gorilla in a frock. :lol:

Short skirts and hairy legs is fine with me - 8) -> As are short-sleeved T-shirts and hairy arms.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels