The definition of Crossdressing...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The definition of Crossdressing...

Post by Sinned »

I think that what hasn't helped is that ( certainly in my case ) I thought that to wear a skirt you had to do the whole woman impersonating thing and I was headed down that path. Then I discovered this site and re-educated myself. Unfortunately I am having to re-educate MOH by example without her having the advantage of a site such as this. Maybe it is working, though.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Perhaps some of these women think that a skirt is a first step towards the full blown tranny/female-impersonator thing? And that this therefore needs to be nipped in the bud?
Precisely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:Perhaps some of these women think that a skirt is a first step towards the full blown tranny/female-impersonator thing? And that this therefore needs to be nipped in the bud?
Precisely.
I think that is exactly the case with MOH, even though I personally have no desire to wear "falsies" or wigs or dresses or even makeup though that is becoming more commonplace. I only wish to wear skirts occasionally either at home or on holiday, but even that sadly seems to be too much for her.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

crfriend wrote:
Precisely.
not necessarily, when i first started wearing skirts and dresses (at home) the wife was (and to some extent still isn't) keen on me venturing 'outside' as a man wearing them saying that i would get ridiculed (and possibly physically attacked) for wearing them, and that men dressed as the full blown woman (wigs make-up, shoes etc) were more accepted than just a man in a dress, on my first 'outing' with the wife she suggested that i dressed in this full blown mode (we were out with another married couple, the man of which is a transvestite) when the night was over and we had arrived back home the wife said that she was ok with me being a 'woman' but maybe i was right and i should stick to what i wanted to do ... ie: a man in a skirt / dress, i'm glad she saw my way as i make a rubbish woman and it's not really what i want to be :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I recall watching F Troop as a child. It occurred to me that the character Wrangler Jane may have been a free styler. Where did her trousers come from?
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:I was thinking that Skirt Cafe may be obscure, and almost the only forum which welcomes free stylers.
If SkirtCafe is obscure, it's likely more down to the false notion that if a guy wants to wear a skirt just for the simple pleasure and comfort of the thing then he has to go the whole nine yards. I think this is also the fear that drives many wives and girlfriends here who are entirely unsupportive of, or even outright hostile to, their guy who, in all probability, just wants a break from the utter drabness that is what's allowed guys in common custom today.

We know it's rubbish, but it's a big world and we are, yes, just a very small part of it. This, of course, is what makes it important that we get out there and set a good example. :twisted:
I agree fully here crfriend. Men in skirts is absolutely no different to women in trousers and the adoption of many or even all of the male wardrobe. There is no concern or question mark on the female person, character, integrity or even mental state of health. There is no question about them becoming or changing to a man. They are celebrated, welcomed, congratulated on their individuality, freedom of expression and exercising their rights. It is no different for men like us on this forum or other men in skirts and liberating their own wardrobes who are not on this forum.

I agree we must get out there and set a good example, and perhaps more as a group out in the real public arena. One voice not individuals. I feel very sorry for the members of this forum, and other men who say elsewhere on the internet that their partners forbid it or do not accept it. Thankfully my partners concern at the beginning was only direct hostile public physical aggression & comment. It hasn't happened. The occasional look, the odd giggle and yes you know a few talk about you behind your back but this happens to others as well and for many other reasons. It's human "intelligence". We should forget about the term cross dressing. It doesn't apply to men in skirts, who are and remain men as we are no different to women in trousers, women who want to remain women.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

pleated wrote:I think some who identify as "crossdressers" are coming around to our way of thinking-
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/sho ... uot-Agenda
Interesting discussion; to summarize, there are those on the cross dresser forum who do NOT emulate women (e.g. wear a dress and makeup but have a beard and don't use falsies) who seek to coexist with the emulators (femulators) on the forum. Reaction seems to be that in the interest of coexistence, diversity, and freedom to be themselves, the "man in a dress" should be welcomed and not criticized, though there may be crossdressing purists who look down on them.

The question is… shouldn't we let those folks know that the Skirt Café exists? Should one of us join that forum and post a message welcoming any folks who just want to be a "guy in a skirt (or dress)" here?
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtheissue wrote:The question is… shouldn't we let those folks know that the Skirt Café exists? Should one of us join that forum and post a message welcoming any folks who just want to be a "guy in a skirt (or dress)" here?
I can see little harm coming from such an action, save that the folks at the crossdressers' forum may regard it as "sheep stealing" and take a very dim view of it. Recall that the two factions are coming at this from entirely different viewpoints; orthodox crossdressers do so because they desire to emulate women where we, on the other hand, celebrate being men and just want more choice in how we dress ourselves. That may seem like a subtle difference to a lot of humanity, but it's actually a fairly profound one when one drills into it.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I came from that forum. Skirt cafe has been mentioned on there. That is how I found it.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

crfriend wrote:Recall that the two factions are coming at this from entirely different viewpoints; orthodox crossdressers do so because they desire to emulate women where we, on the other hand, celebrate being men and just want more choice in how we dress ourselves.
I gave up on that forum years ago for exactly that reason -- whenever a newcomer joined trying to find answers ("Why do I do this? What's wrong with me?") everybody would pile on with "Just go with it, hun! You were meant to be a girl! The next step is to learn how to change your voice and 'tuck'!" etc. I would counter with a reminder that not everybody who puts on a dress is wired to become a woman.

Long story short, that is NOT a popular opinion to hold on that site. My remarks were often shot down as being inappropriate or even derogatory towards full-blown crossdressers, no matter how carefully I couched them with variations on "not that there's anything wrong with that..."
Ralph!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I also don't care for Crossdressers.com since I found the members and moderators shun any mention of keeping any masculine attributes. True I am taking estrogen by injection and as a result have more of a feminine figure and appearance. However, I am not about to try to talk like a woman - I am a bass, and neither do I have any intentions at all of changing my name or my male gender designation. The idea of tucking to me is rather disgusting - there are plenty of alteratives to wearing tight clothes that hug the crotch area. And I have absolutely no desire to have SRS (sexual reassignment surgery).

I have had a number of my postings deleted from the Transexual section of Crossdressers.com because I have expressed my desire not to live in society as a woman.

I have mentioned Skirtcafe.org a number of times when someone on Crossdressers.com expressed doubts of wanting to present as a woman but simply wanted to wear a dress or a skirt.

As I said before I like Skirtcafe.org since I do not feel the need to use a female name and there is the commitment of honesty of presenting one's true gender.

JohnH
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

JohnH wrote:I also don't care for Crossdressers.com since I found the members and moderators shun any mention of keeping any masculine attributes.
There standurd of gramer and speling is apaling two!
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The Free Stylers and the orthodox CD/TV sound like oil and water-they don't mix very well.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:The Free Stylers and the orthodox CD/TV sound like oil and water-they don't mix very well.
That's because the perceived, and even perhaps desired, "end-game" is different between the two groups. That's not to say one is "right" and the other "wrong", it's just that aside from the clothing aspect there's no commonality -- and it's that lack of commonality that causes all the friction.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

pelmut wrote: There standurd of gramer and speling is apaling two!
There are two words you actually spelled and used correctly.
1. "of". Maybe you should have spelled it "ov".
2. "standurd" is singular, so "is" is correct. Instead, use "are" but mispell "are" as "ar"

Now the sentence would come out like, "There standurd ov gramer and speling ar apaling two!" :lol:

John