The definition of Crossdressing...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The definition of Crossdressing...

Post by Couya »

All clothes, all styles, are women's clothes. Is there one garment that women have not used?
Men's clothes, on the other hand are men's clothes because you bought them in a men's shop/department.
Martin
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Martin:
But au contraire any clothing that I buy or have on hand whether I wear it now or later becomes "My Clothing" and sex has no bearing.
The only consideration is that ALL the clothing out there I can not wear because of size limits and restrictions. Obviously some clothing
is sized for a smaller or larger frame than mine and most obvious is that some clothing looks best on a curvy well proportioned frame -
viva la difference !
Clothing in my closet is "My Clothing" - a skirt - dress - blouse - etc. is my skirt - my dress - my blouse - MY etc.
Granted that some readers here wear unmentionables and so it will remain so - but those worn by me are 'MY' unmentionables in this case.

Women have almost totally absconded with men's wear (pants etc.) - it is a very slow process for men to return the favor although with
good reason some clothing will be passed over and not even merit any attention (bras etc.).

Side Note:
The larger "MY Closet" the more options and the more the difficulty in pairing things together - so many variations - does this go with that ?
Does this make me look fat ? Oh to have to make those decisions instead of dragging out the 'One Size Fits All' !
Suggestion keep the wardrobe simple "BUT" it is your wardrobe (or mine)!

Cross Dressing - NAY - someone must have crossed their eyes crossing the aisle to the other department.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

kidme wrote:Just came across this article, on androgyny fashion.
http://thoughtcatalog.com/rachel-hodin/ ... s-clothes/
Is she implying that skirt-wearing is tied up with homosexuality? Surely a homosexual man would not find another man in a skirt attractive if he thought it was women's clothing?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not really up on homosexual rituals but a "butch" male and a "femme" male may be compatible but then what would I know? Don't want to overstep the boundaries of good taste here.

Interestingly I bought two skirts in ASDA today - just plain medium length skirts in beige and blue with decent hip pockets and MOH did kick up a bit but not too much. I would have expected more. And whatever is said I AM NOT A CROSSDRESSER. I wear the occasional item originally intended for a woman but now it's mine it is a man's garment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Larryj

Post by Larryj »

My definition of a cross-dresser, if you buy a bra and stuff it full to make yourself look like you have breast, if you wear tons of make up and you know how girls like to wear dangling ear rings and there are some shoes out there that are totally feminine that I've seen guys wear that would kill my feet.(remember this is just my opinion) I don't feel it's a dress or skirt that makes a man look feminine,I think it makes a man look more confident and more comfortable, I wear my skirts with a nice button-down or a nice T-shirt or polo shirt which ever may complement the skirt, and I wear a nice pair of tennis shoes or a nice pair shoes and socks to color ,which ever to complement what I am wearing, I do like the bright colors, I like color fashion and pink is one of my favorite colors, I do not have chest hairs And I do like my leg shaved, I think it looks clean and it feels nice and I like my toenails painted I feel it complements my skirts or my dresses and remember this is all me and my opinion, i'm in my mid-50s and been dressing this way since my mid-20s. (Happy skirting) I do it because it's fun and I feel very comfortable wearing a skirt and not pants,pants bind around my midsection and if you have testicles you know as well as I do when you set down,(it hurts) and for all that I do not consider myself feminine or a cross-dresser. Southern California USA
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Even though I have natural D cup breasts and wide hips, hair longer than shoulder length, sometimes wear a dress along with heels, and routinely wear makeup I will not complete the illusion of being a woman. For when I open my mouth my voice is a cross between Johnny Cash and Joe Friday of Dragnet. And yes, I do sing second bass. So I guess I would not make a good crossdresser as I refuse to alter the pitch of my speaking voice.

John
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

"Cross-dresser," is an emotionally-charged word with connotations of being weird or perverted. So of course we define it as meaning something we don't fit into. (And no, I'm not talking waist measurement.)

But to me, cross-dressers wear skirts and dresses because they're traditionally women's clothes, while we wear them despite that.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Cross dresser. A person who wears clothing associated with the opposite sex.

Yes, over time trousers have become traditional male clothing. Men didn't wear them before. They were not around at one time! Over time women have been allowed to invade the male wardrobe in all aspects and they were never assigned the term cross dressers. Now 99.9% of women wear male style clothing almost 24/7, 365 days a year. To me the cross dressers are men who wear traditional male style clothing because that is what women wear. If women cannot be labelled cross dressers at any time by society decree, and therefore the term only applies to men, by society decree, then surely men in trousers are cross dressers.

It's all relative and down to ones perception. If a term cannot be applied to one gender, then to me it cannot be applied to the other. Only when both genders have specific and separate roles like in the 1920's and earlier can terms like cross dressing start to apply. Not in this modern era of free for all in the fashion world for one and not the other.

A person who emulates the opposite sex, with wigs and accessories are Transvestites, and not the same as a man in a skirt or a woman in trousers or cross dressing if one still wants to appoint that term. Transvestites, like cross dressing applies to both genders, but again by society decree it is only pointed towards men.

Cross dressing in this modern era does not exist, to me. If it does then it applies to women like men on this forum and the many other men not on this forum.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

I think some who identify as "crossdressers" are coming around to our way of thinking-
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/sho ... uot-Agenda

There is an older similar thread there too-
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/sho ... phenomenon
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I took a look at the links posted by pleated. My impression is that free stylers are arguing with trannies in a tranny forum. Perhaps the free stylers would feel more at home with Skirt Cafe.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I started out on that forum but once I found this one I'm more comfortable here. It was always the clothes for me. I have no interest in wearing a wig etc.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Indeed, LLG, I got the impression that free stylers are posting to a forum where they have to defend their basic preferences.
Last edited by Grok on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I was thinking that Skirt Cafe may be obscure, and almost the only forum which welcomes free stylers.
If SkirtCafe is obscure, it's likely more down to the false notion that if a guy wants to wear a skirt just for the simple pleasure and comfort of the thing then he has to go the whole nine yards. I think this is also the fear that drives many wives and girlfriends here who are entirely unsupportive of, or even outright hostile to, their guy who, in all probability, just wants a break from the utter drabness that is what's allowed guys in common custom today.

We know it's rubbish, but it's a big world and we are, yes, just a very small part of it. This, of course, is what makes it important that we get out there and set a good example. :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I've noticed that some new members seem almost apologetic, trying to explain that they aren't trannies, but are actually (our terminology) free stylers. These new members seem interested in Skirt Cafe, but haven't quite grasped that this is a group that welcomes them.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: If SkirtCafe is obscure, it's likely more down to the false notion that if a guy wants to wear a skirt just for the simple pleasure and comfort of the thing then he has to go the whole nine yards. I think this is also the fear that drives many wives and girlfriends here who are entirely unsupportive of, or even outright hostile to, their guy who, in all probability, just wants a break from the utter drabness that is what's allowed guys in common custom today.
Perhaps some of these women think that a skirt is a first step towards the full blown tranny/female-impersonator thing? And that this therefore needs to be nipped in the bud?