Mixing Menswear & Womenswear

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mixing Menswear & Womenswear

Post by Tor »

pleated wrote:Instead of describing ourselves as "....ites" of one sort or another we should avoid categorizing ourselves in any way. We are first and foremost "people" and should not accept any description that differentiates us from the rest of humanity.
I agree with Big and Bashful's comment that you said this very well. One thing that just came to mind for me is that the names we have for most tribes are names that were given them by other tribes in the surrounding area, and that much of the time within the tribe they are simply "the people" or some variant thereof as appropriate in their language. I suppose if we could come up with a useful and agreeable word it might save us getting stuck with one we don't care for later. I'm still not entirely convinced that a good word exists, though, which hearkens back to our interest in seeing skirts (and often other "feminine" sartorial options) become ordinarily worn by both sexes.

I've been reading some of Lloyd DeMause's work recently. Not pleasant reading, but quite interesting. Though I believe there are some chemical factors involved in the possibly apparent rise of transgender and similar, it can be taken to suggest that our succeeding may be of benefit to young borderline transgender folk who could be not so much transgender as building a transgender alter because of the challenges of integration in today's world.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

At some point or other, we've all tried to lend an alternative name/label to our fashion choices, myself, I had "musion".
Look at the old posts, if you're so inclined, personally, they're boring.
I've reached a conclusion, I am not labelled, I am ME!
I can wear a skirt or trousers as my mood or the occasion requires.
If I can do this and not be overly concerned about others' reactions, should I really have to put a name to it?
This is a curse that we are just bringing down on our own heads.
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Since kilt is presumably machismo-acceptable, and skirt isn't, and the two terms denote slightly different variations of the same one-tubed garment (skirt sans pleats and body) perhaps we could use the term "skilt", :lol: LOL! And for the so-called man-bags, simply go to calling them "shoulder bags" since the notion of strong shoulders is undeniably macho :roll: . Or maybe we could just relax and stop worrying over what stuff is called. Once you get out there in public, you will conquer your fears and, despite sensing the stares and apprehensions of others, you will feel like yourself. Then no one's labels or terminology will particularly matter to you. 8)
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Dilon,
I reckon we concur, but did you realise that "Skilt" is a protected trademark in the U.K?
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

LOL, no, Stevie, I had no idea, LOL! I just thought it a clever joke...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Combining elements from both sides of the aisle into one rig could be considered a subset of Freestyling. Thought of a term for this subset-Hybrid Dressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:20 pm Combining elements from both sides of the aisle into one rig could be considered a subset of Freestyling. Thought of a term for this subset-Hybrid Dressing.
Wow, I had honestly forgotten all about this one. Back around then, I suggested the term "Musion", coming from fusion cuisine to menswear.
I was doing it then and still am. Yesterday, a shirt and tie with pinafore, tights and ankle boots.
Perfect example of an acceptable combi on a female, so why not me?
Sad to say, the age of this thread shows that we have still a lot of progress to make.
Thanks Grok, and hybrid clothes/fashion works rather well too.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Sinned wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 am I also wear bright colours as I have indicated in other threads. I also find that the brightly coloured trousers or jeans can only come from the other side of the isle ( I have always said that I don't want to wear a skirt full time but include it as part of my overall wardrobe ). I mix menswear and womenswear as I see fit and I generally don't take too much notice as to whether the garment was designed for men or women, just the overall look. I have lately become more interested in tops because there is a HUGE section that can be pretty much unisex, if you take out such as frills and sleeve lengths.

It is not odd that women can wear men's clothing - they do it all the time, and not just feminised versions but actual men's clothing. They are the true cross dressers, not us and they do it openly. But when we ask for equality then on the whole it's completely unacceptable. We are labelled transvestites, cross dressers ( as a derogatory term ) or even perverts. And I have practical experience of this from MOH.

Interestingly, and this may actually advance our cause, with the movement towards clothes that can be worn by either sex what's to stop stores doing away with the male and female sections and just have sections marked Tops ( blouses and shirts ), Woollenwear ( all classes of cardigans, jumpers, pullovers etc ), Trousers ( including jeans ), Skirts, Underwear, Shoes and so on. That way men would be forced to become more familiar with women's garments and it would help remove the stigma of men being seen in the female section. I wonder if any retailer would be brave enough to do this or more importantly from their point of view would it offer them any retail advantage? What do others think? :?:
Sinned I have complained to JL about the rubbish they are presenting as degendered clothes:

Very confusion shop at John Lewis. The website directs you to kids clothes, the site splits in boys and girls then when selecting say "girls" all the the clothing is labelled "kids" and mixes in boys with the girls. On closer examination only girls wear skirts and the boys section is bland.

If John Lewis is serious about degendering childrens clothes then there should not be Boys/Girls department only kids. If JL is truly serious about degendering childrens clothes, then the site should show boys and girls in skirts and dresses. You should also show girls wearing traditional boy clothing.

It's an obvious attempt to degender clothes for kids without actually doing anything. JL is playing safe with lipservice to the issue. The world is changing and JL has an opportunity to be at the front rather unheard in the crowd.

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/baby-c ... lq?chunk=4

I have not had a reply from from JL. I think I might ring customer service and ask them.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Generally, when discussing items from both sides of the aisle, we are talking about an aisle in the context of Western civilization. So the items marketed as mens wear and womens wear could be more specifically designated as these:

1. Western mens wear.

2. Western womens wear.

I was reviewing the Saris thread. If we consider combining Western and non-Western items, we get these designations:

1. Western mens wear.

2. Non-Western womens wear.

The Non-Western items are from way over on the other side of the store.

With further hybridization, we can get all three:

1. Western mens wear.

2. Western womens wear.

3. Non-Western womens wear.

Musion would involve combining items from 1,2,and 3 into a coherent look.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:05 pm Generally, when discussing items from both sides of the aisle, we are talking about an aisle in the context of Western civilization. So the items marketed as mens wear and womens wear could be more specifically designated as these:

1. Western mens wear.

2. Western womens wear.

I was reviewing the Saris thread. If we consider combining Western and non-Western items, we get these designations:

1. Western mens wear.

2. Non-Western womens wear.

The Non-Western items are from way over on the other side of the store.

With further hybridization, we can get all three:

1. Western mens wear.

2. Western womens wear.

3. Non-Western womens wear.

Musion would involve combining items from 1,2,and 3 into a coherent look.
Why exclude non-western mens wear?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:49 pm Why exclude non-western mens wear?
My original concept of "Musion" was for it to mean no exclusion, anything goes, even universal if you will.
The "coherence" of the look would be a matter for the wearer.
There would be no rules fashion wise and no external judgement.
Sartorial anarchy, you have nothing to lose except your boundaries and why not anyway?
As I said, in the 9 years since this began, the arguments are woefully similar.
At bottom, labels like gendered clothing, are there to be ignored or taken as guidelines at best.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:49 pm
Why exclude non-western mens wear?
Over looked that. :shock: