Fashion laws in the UK

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Fashion laws in the UK

Post by skirtingtoday »

This topic was posted on the BBC website showing the unusual and strange fashion laws and requirements through the ages and suggests that rules are much more relaxed nowadays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25127293

The last few sentences are as follows and I have added by own emphasis in bold on the very last sentence.
"But with so much emphasis on expressing yourself through the clothes you wear, and formal dress codes crumbling all around us, surely we are finally free, in the West at least, to wear what we like?

Robson is not so sure.

"Sometimes with relaxed standards, there then comes an ability for employers to have more bias and to say that someone doesn't look professional or doesn't look right," she says.

Because the rules are not written or understood. There is a problem if the rules are not written or the rules are too precise."

The only answer, she suggests, is to have no rules at all."
:D

Hear! hear! I say!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fashion laws in the UK

Post by partlyscot »

Laws? I treat them as more of a guideline....
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fashion laws in the UK

Post by norstdresses »

dress codes exclude part of the society and I don't like them, even I am often tied on dress codes for formal meetings where is the only time when I have to dress suit and tie :oops: