The Perceptible Willy

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
CasualCrossdresser

The Perceptible Willy

Post by CasualCrossdresser »

Just one problem with wearing skirts in my experience. The perceptible willy. It seems that even some of my looser fitting skirts still create that bulge in an otherwise flat front.

I'm trying to figure out exacly why this is. When I wear pants I guess it's probably still there, just not as noticable because of all the curves going on with the material going around the legs. So aside from tucking, which I would rather not do as it's uncomfortable, doesn't stay and kind of defeats the purpose of wearing a skirt, what else can be done?

All of my skirts were made for women originally and most were purchased at second hand stores. Perhaps they are just not as loose as I think. But I can't be the only one with this issue.

Beyond that, what if I did want to wear slighlty tighter skirts, is there a work around that doesn't involve tucking? Something that maybe brings the skirt out more in the front while still keeping it tighter around the sides and back to show off the butt more?
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Perceptible Willy

Post by Stevie D »

The generally accepted philosophy on this forum is that men wearing skirts should not feel inhibited or embarrassed about the 'male bulge'. It's part of men's anatomy and there should be no reason to be ashamed of it or to try to hide it, no more so than most women do not try to hide their boobs.

However, different people have differing sensitivities about showing their MB. I am probably a rarity on this forum and others will no doubt give you their opinion, but for me personally, I prefer to have a smooth front. I just think it looks better that way, but maybe that is a combination of (a) years of conditioning that skirts should display a smooth front, and (b) my personal preference for the androgynous look anyway because that suits the type of person I am. In practical terms I usually wear long-ish tops, or else flowing skirts which do not cling to my body.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

You are a male, you have a set of sweetbreads, don't be ashamed of them! I suppose if you really want to deny your maleness there is always surgery!
Otherwise, heavier fabrics seem to hide the underlying contours better. I suppose tight underwear would reduce the bulge, alternatively; I no longer do underwear and haven't noticed a problem with bulges, so maybe the opposite works, leave things loose rather than gathered in a bunch.
I think people will notice the skirt before noticing any slight distortion in the shape of it, to my eyes some things do look wrong with skirted men, very short skirts (with the occasional exception), some types of pattern, very impractical skirts (I like my experiments with tight skirts etc. but wouldn't want to be seen in them), however, out of all of the photo's I have seen in this forum, I have never even noticed a bulge, not in any of them. No doubt they are in some piccies, but males have bulges and a lack of bulge or an obviously concealed bulge would look more wrong than just looking male.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It's not the looseness of your skirts, it's the thinness or softness of the fabric that lets you bulge out visibly. You could try a denim skirt, or a kilt. Or something patterned so that the bulge is not as obvious. Or a front-fastening skirt - the fly does the same job as a pattern would, even though the fly is generally shorter on a skirt than on men's trousers.

But as you say, the bulge at your crotch is visible to all and sundry when you wear trousers, so why worry about it when you are skirted? If it is no more apparent than it would be in trousers, then what is the problem? Stand in front of your mirror, and try on a few pairs of trousers and a few skirts and compare the effect. Do something you probably don't normally do - look at other men's crotches to see how much their manhood is on display. (I was on a train a few days ago. A man got on and sat down facing me, legs wide apart in that "I'm so well-hung I need masses of room for my dick" position that some men favour and which took up half of his neighbour's legroom. His jeans were pressing against his penis, and the resultant bulge was on full view to the world in general and to me in particular. Maybe he thought he looked virile; I just thought he looked uncomfortable. And inconsiderate to the passenger sitting next to him!)

That said, in a plain or lightweight skirt, your scrotal bulge can be the only thing spoiling the clean lines of the appearance of a quarter or even a half of your body, and I agree it can be a problem, particularly if there is a breeze blowing your skirt against your front. To minimise the effect, hang loose! Or whenever you fear that you have someone's attention in a bad way, speak to them, and they will immediately look at your face. If possible, sit down: I reckon it will be less noticeable than when you are standing, due to the folding of your skirt. (It has just occurred to me, but I think the reverse is true in trousers.)

Most of all, don't worry about it! 99% of people will be so surprised to see a man in a skirt that they will not notice anything else about you. And once your friends & acquaintances get used to seeing you skirted, it is unlikely that they will spend any more time looking down at your crotch than you do looking at theirs.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have an unbelievable number of skirts, and the bulge is visible with only a tiny number of these - if it worries you just avoid tight skirts or clingy fabrics. I really think that for those of us who are not turned on by wearing skirts this is a non-issue.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Over the years, I've found that underwear usually keeps things under enough control to not attract a lot of attention by the bystanders -- and this holds true with even my fairly light and tight skirts.

Sure, there'll be some bulge there, but that's nature in action and can't be avoided (save by "tucking", which I avoid as being more trouble than it's worth). So long as it's not "in the face" of the onlooker things should be fine.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
CasualCrossdresser

Post by CasualCrossdresser »

Interesting. I was not expecting those kind of "just accept it" replies. I bring this up mostly because my girlfriend does. She notices and thinks everyone else will as well and she doesn't like that.

Personally I understand her perspective to some degree. It's one thing to see a guy in a skirt that some people will find off-putting but to see an apparent bulge in an otherwise flat surface may set the conservatives off even more toward thinking you're a pervert showing off your junk. Moreso then they already think you are just by wearing a skirt. Sadly.

Hence my two motives to minimize the bulge. I guess the secret as some of you say is to use thicker fabrics. But when I typed this today I was wearing a long demin skirt and there was still apparent bulge.

As for no underear, I think it's actually worse. I love the feeling, but the other day I was at the ren fest and was wearing a thicker cotten skirt (commando) and my girlfriend was like "wow you can see everything when you walk." So I ended up running back to the car a little later and putting on some string bikini briefs I had brought with me (just in case). That helped reduce things while walking.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Thicker fabrics are one way to "cover up", but cut can be just as effective. If you're wearing something full and flowing then the odds of anything "sticking out" noticeably will be low and the general motion of all that fabric will draw folks' eyes away from "that spot" anyway.

Personally, I always wear underthings as I don't necessarily like the effect of everything slapping around at random. This is personal preference, mind, but have found that it's useful advice in professional (or semi-professional) settings. Also, if you're "commando", for gods' sake don't get strongly backlit as that will attract all sorts of unwanted attention.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

CasualCrossdresser wrote:Just one problem with wearing skirts in my experience. The perceptible willy. It seems that even some of my looser fitting skirts still create that bulge in an otherwise flat front.

I'm trying to figure out exactly why this is.
Easy. It's because you take your willy with you everywhere.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

CasualCrossdresser wrote:Interesting. I was not expecting those kind of "just accept it" replies.
What were you expecting, and why?
CasualCrossdresser wrote: ... the other day I was at the ren fest and was wearing a thicker cotten skirt (commando) and my girlfriend was like "wow you can see everything when you walk."
Could you see her tits when she walked? Or maybe even all of the time? Did you ask her why the double standard?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

CasualCrossdresser wrote:...the other day I was at the ren fest and was wearing a thicker cotten skirt (commando) and my girlfriend was like "wow you can see everything when you walk,"...
You could have double-checked with something like, "Is that good or bad?" or, "Is that a problem?" or, "Well, everybody already knows I've got one."
Last edited by Caultron on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

I take mine off when i wear a skirt..... :? :lol: :P :oops:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hemitom wrote:I take mine off when i wear a skirt..... :? :lol: :P :oops:
Where do you put it?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

Caultron wrote:
Where do you put it?

LOL In my pocket, if my skirt has one... :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hemitom wrote:
Caultron wrote:
Where do you put it?
LOL In my pocket, if my skirt has one... :)
Doesn't that create a bulge?

caultron