Odd comment

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Odd comment

Post by TheRod »

Yesterday I wore my straight denim miniskirt to a beach suburb in Sydney. I had lunch at a local cafe where the owner, a nice Asian lady who seemed to know most of the customers, said "I like your skirt!". That was nice to hear and I thanked here. Later, when she served the food at an outside table, she said "Excuse me, but did you know that you are wearing a skirt?" I said said yes, I knew, and asked if she was OK with that. She said she was fine with it. It struck me as an odd comment, given her previous greeting inside the store.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Odd comment

Post by crfriend »

This could have been down to a short attention-span or a desire to make some small talk in an otherwise quiet moment. There's not much else to go on with the context provided, but at least it wasn't hostile!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I suspect she was trying to figure you out.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

"What? I'm wearing a skirt! Oh, the shame. Where can I hide?"
Whereupon Rod whipped off the offending garment and proved to everyone he was a real man.
;-)

Martin
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

TheRod wrote:Yesterday I wore my straight denim miniskirt to a beach suburb in Sydney. I had lunch at a local cafe where the owner, a nice Asian lady who seemed to know most of the customers, said "I like your skirt!". That was nice to hear and I thanked here. Later, when she served the food at an outside table, she said "Excuse me, but did you know that you are wearing a skirt?" I said said yes, I knew, and asked if she was OK with that. She said she was fine with it. It struck me as an odd comment, given her previous greeting inside the store.
She was probably thinking that here was the second man she had seen in a skirt today! :wink:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I find the lady really odd. "Are you aware your'e wearing a shirt?"
Last edited by Jack Williams on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

"Oh no, I was sure I had put shorts on this morning. I really must start turning the light on when I get dressed!"
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

My wife and I were doing some shopping, and the checkout gal said "It must be laundry day!".

Uh, no.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Either quit the jelly donuts or use a napkin.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Somehow I don't think that Zorba piles on too much time with the jelly-doughnuts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Biscuits and gravy, then.

caultron
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Not that either. I was wearing a brightly colored skirt. Apparently, the ONLY reason the checkout gal could think I'd be wearing it was "it must be laundry day". *shrug* Whatever.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Oh, I know. I was only being facetious.

caultron