Top Freedom

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Top Freedom

Post by Jim »

Men and women should be free to wear what they like without regard for somebody's expectation based on gender. In many ways women have more fashion freedom in our societies eyes than men, with one glaring exception. Men are free to have nothing on their tops but this can often get women into trouble. As we men stand for our own fashion freedom, we should also stand for the right of our sisters to be topfree in any situation we have that freedom.

I understand five states women's topfreedom is specifically protected and two more states allow nudity. In only 3 states is it specifically illegal for women to have an uncovered chest. But the cultural attitudes make it harder for a woman to be topfree in public than us men to be in skirts.

Just my encouragement to consistently stand for gender freedom in clothing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Top Freedom

Post by Sinned »

To be honest I don't understand the prudery of not allowing women to be topless particularly in hot weather. It's not as if it would scare the children any as they can see as many topless women easily on the internot or even in daily newspapers! So not a sight that they wouldn't be familiar with. You've seen two so you've seen them all. Most women probably wouldn't want to go topless in public particularly in Tesco or ASDA but for those that do then que sera. Complete nudity is not exactly illegal but is frowned on over here and most get charged with that catch-all of "breaching the peace" whatever that means. I've been redecorating a house this past couple of weeks after a tenant moved out and most of the painting I have done in the nude as it is comfortable and doesn't matter if a bit of paint gets splashed on me. Anyway I have an awful habit if I get paint on my hands of wiping it off on my clothes and not wearing any cures me of that habit and makes me use the rag instead. As I am on my own or just with my wife it doesn't really matter.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sinned, I remember some American visitors to my work who could not believe what they were watching when they saw Eurotrash. Whatever state they were from even blocks out the site of a nipple from their screens, I get the impression that the U.S. is extremely "prudish" , at least in some states, when compared to Europe.
As for nudity, I don't know of many places in Britain where it would be tolerated outside of nudist colonies, I thought it was still illegal here. I think the closest colony to where I live is on an island on Loch Lomond. However, the thought of a whole body being exposed to midges is a scary thought indeed! I got well midged at a BBQ once while kilted, agonising, hence the love of the ankle length skirt!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Public displays of sex and/or nudity are restricted in the USA than in Europe.

I'm not sure that the average American is that more prudish than the average European, but there's a relatively small, loud, influential, mostly religious minority that concentrate on shielding children from such things. And of course, if something has to be out of the sight of children, it pretty much can't be in public.

I'm not sure how seeing, say, a breast is going to harm a child (children have been seeing them for millennia) but oh we'll.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

And weaned children sing, Thanks for the mammary :alien: :bom: I often wonder if those men with a breast fixation were weaned too young.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I once looked up the laws here in Ohio concerning women being topless. It stated that no one, male or female may expose their genitals. However, breasts are not defined as genitals so, technically, women can legally go topless. That being said, there are a number of catch-all laws the police can use to arrest someone for doing so.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rick401r wrote:I once looked up the laws here in Ohio concerning women being topless. It stated that no one, male or female may expose their genitals. However, breasts are not defined as genitals so, technically, women can legally go topless. That being said, there are a number of catch-all laws the police can use to arrest someone for doing so.
Ohio, New York, Texas, Maine, and Hawaii are listed as the states where topfreedom for women is legal. Nudity is legal in Oregon and Vermont (but local codes may apply). But you are right, police may harass people even when they shouldn't. When I lived in Athens, Ohio, there was women's topfree demonstration in Athens. The only one arrested was a man who thought the demonstration was a justification for public nudity.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

In Spain, there is no law against nudity, and there are of course nude beaches. But that does not mean that people go around naked anywhere, or even topless except at the seaside. I like to be uncluttered and feel the sun and the wind on my skin, but I think there are very few people that really want to be naked in public. Just because it's allowed, that does not mean that it is popular. Just like the freedom to marry your own sex, will not stop people marrying the other sex; or the freedom to wear skirts will not stop men and women from wearing trousers.

Martin
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Just as I enjoy the right to strip off my shirt while mowing the yard or cooling off on a hot day, I believe women should have the right to do the same. That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy the view.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Deleted
Last edited by Sinned on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I can see this easily degenerating into a debate on which gender has it better/worse. I'll defer to the moderators but IMHO this is not a good place to go. Our mission here is fashion freedom for men. While top-freedom for women is a worthy, and I feel, valid cause, it may be outside the scope of this forum. Women face issues in life that men don't and that I would consider difficult- fear of being sexually violated, monthly body functions, etc. I can see this thread headed there eventually. We don't want to compete with women, alienate women, or compare ourselves with women. We just want to allocate clothes normally associated with women for our purposes.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Brad wrote: Our mission here is fashion freedom for men.
I believe that fashion freedom for men is best achieved by fashion freedom for all.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote:I believe that fashion freedom for men is best achieved by fashion freedom for all.
Hear hear!

To Brad's comment, the mods are a conscientious lot and try very hard to keep an eye on things, and if the thread devolves into an "us versus them" free-for-all it'll get stepped on, mainly on the respect rule.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Here's a thought why women are not fighting to be top free:

I never go out topless since I have breasts. Believe me, the last thing I would want is for some man to gawk at me. And I'm sure there are plenty of women who would feel the same way. There is also the issue of breast support. Whenever I go out to walk and run I wear a sports bra since the jiggling would be very uncomfortable.

Now I can believe that Texas is a topfree state. Years ago as I was driving along a highway in Texas I saw what I thought was a man with an open shirt thumbing a ride. I got a little closer, and I think to myself - boy that guy looks a little flabby on top. Then I got closer, and then I realized the hitchhiker was a woman with her shirt open with her breasts exposed.

John
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

Public displays of sex and/or nudity are restricted in the USA than in Europe.

I'm not sure that the average American is that more prudish than the average European, but there's a relatively small, loud, influential, mostly religious minority that concentrate on shielding children from such things. And of course, if something has to be out of the sight of children, it pretty much can't be in public.

I'm not sure how seeing, say, a breast is going to harm a child (children have been seeing them for millennia) but oh we'll.
Men can go topless because they ain't got breasts. The equivalent of a topless woman is a man with naked groin. :roll: That is not about fashion freedom but freedom of expression. That's a different animal.
Hear hear!

To Brad's comment, the mods are a conscientious lot and try very hard to keep an eye on things, and if the thread devolves into an "us versus them" free-for-all it'll get stepped on, mainly on the respect rule.
That's right, respect for hatefull bigots at all time. That's what it is all about. :lol: I guess it depends on what us versus them entails. :D