James May's Man Lab

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: James May's Man Lab

Post by STEVIE »

Alastair,
The whole suit lasted for about 5 years but the jacket was only ditched when I was in my forties and put on weight.
I did make enquiries about having the flairs straightened but the cost really was stupid.
I originally had it made for my sister's wedding and had the honour of giving her away.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:I did make enquiries about having the flairs straightened but the cost really was stupid.
I'd have left the flares alone. They look fine -- in fact they look better than the stove-pipes or "leggings" (lagging?) of today!

That image, in my mind, is one of the top 100 of all time.

Fun note: I've managed to drop about another five pounds (mass, not currency, and I'm not happy about it) and tried on a jacket that I bought some 40 years ago, and it still fits. I can even button it! And the tails are flared out like a short frock-coat which I never noticed before. The '70s are way, way too underrated.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Carl,
Interesting reflection on the flairs and my attitude today would maybe differ.
I was more of a creature of fashion then and that was certainly a factor. My skirt wearing was also very much in the background too.
If I had the funds to allow it, I would reprise that design as a 2/3 three piece skirt suit ensemble. I would even keep the fabric, colour and shoes too.
Hmmm, I kind of wish I hadn't started down this road.
Steve.