Casual Crossdressing

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Wesley

Re: Casual Crossdressing

Post by Wesley »

Lawrence de Grande wrote:I have long thought of myself as a crossdresser because I do like wearing feminine clothing but lately I've become more focused on just skirts. There is no way I can appear feminine so I go as a man in a skirt. I like the term "casual crossdresser" though. Lately I've been wearing skirts more and more in public. They are so much more comfortable the pants/jeans/shorts. I never have paid much attention to fashion rules... :D
I've been moving away from seeking femininity toward just enjoying wearing a skirt. I used to think the only way I could ever think of going out in a skirt would be to shave off my beard, put on makeup and a wig and attempt to look like a woman. That's really dumb!

I don't go out skirted in public very much, except when I hike, but I'm getting very comfortable with the idea. It seems that a lot of the crossdressing community are more "femulators" than guys who like wearing clothes traditionally designated for women. Crossdressing, casual or otherwise, is not a bad term.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Like most on this site I like certain traditionally women's items for their own sake not because I want to look like a woman. They look good and they are comfortable and cool. I have tried other things but to me a skirt and tights are enough for me. I am not a cross dresser and don't want to look like a woman with wig and makeup. I realise that women cross dress much more than men do and get away with it. But I would object most strongly if I was called a cross dresser. My wife insults me at times by calling me a tranny yet I don't rise to the bait with her and keep my mouth well and truly shut! Some on this site go further than I am prepared to go but they are comfortable with it so that's ok with me and I wouldn't criticise them for it. But to me cross dressing IS a bad term but then that's just my perspective. 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:[... T]o me cross dressing IS a bad term but then that's just my perspective. 8)
I think it's more down to the fact that the term is pretty badly overloaded with negative connotation in general use, and that's why some of us refuse to use it.

The argument can always be deployed that we're not "cross-dressing" as we're actually wearing our own clothes -- as ourselves -- and not trying to be anything different from ourselves. Whilst that is likely factual within this group, many folks will refuse to believe it -- and will just have to adapt. I've found that by keeping my head high and being confident and approachable that most folks will react in positive ways.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Too right, a skirt is a skirt and a dress is a dress, whoever wears it.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Wesley wrote:
Lawrence de Grande wrote:I have long thought of myself as a crossdresser because I do like wearing feminine clothing but lately I've become more focused on just skirts. There is no way I can appear feminine so I go as a man in a skirt. I like the term "casual crossdresser" though. Lately I've been wearing skirts more and more in public. They are so much more comfortable the pants/jeans/shorts. I never have paid much attention to fashion rules... :D
I've been moving away from seeking femininity toward just enjoying wearing a skirt. I used to think the only way I could ever think of going out in a skirt would be to shave off my beard, put on makeup and a wig and attempt to look like a woman. That's really dumb!

I don't go out skirted in public very much, except when I hike, but I'm getting very comfortable with the idea. It seems that a lot of the crossdressing community are more "femulators" than guys who like wearing clothes traditionally designated for women. Crossdressing, casual or otherwise, is not a bad term.
And I think that this is at the heart of some guys reasoning for this. I used to think of myself as a crossdresser, but I don't anymore. I never did the makeup, forms and wig thing, and since talking to my GF about this, and learning to be more accepting, I realize that while I DO find skirts much more comfortable, part of why I do it is to express something within myself. I am a man, and while I have mostly "masculine" attitudes, at least part of why I want to dress this way, is because it is what some would call "feminine" attitudes. I reject that these attitudes as either masculine or, feminine. It doesn't make me gay, or sissy, or anything else, if I have, and want to display, a softer side, a desire to display, or any of the other reasons that I might have to wear skirts, stockings, bright colours etc.

I admit, that large reason I started, and it still is a small part, is the thrill of the forbiden, the taboo if you will. But me wanting to do this doesn't mean I'm not a man, any more than my GF's wish to be a bike mechanic, a geek, and getting her hands greasy makes her any less of a woman.

To return to my first sentence, part of why some, crossdressers do this is that men aren't permitted to be this way, "OK, I can't display this side of me as a man, I'l be a woman!" Not all of course, only a smallish fraction, but I do think it's one of the many reasons behind some guys behaviour. It certainly was part of the reason I thought like I did.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

I think a lot of the MtF trans-whatevers are a result of the "one or the other" type of dichotomy. Men can be beautiful too. I don't shave my beard off, but I do wear makeup, "do" my nails, have long hair, wear jewelry, skirts, etc, etc, blah, blah. I'm a Belly Dancer too. Don't do the shoe thing, although the same genderless considerations apply - I just can't think of a faster way to break an ankle than a pair of stilettos.

"If it ain't biology, it ain't real." Bras on men, jockstraps on women, are about the only way I'll use the term "CrossDressing" (Gynecomastia not withstanding). Otherwise - SOMEONE MADE ALL THIS STUFF UP! There is NO basis in what I call "ultimate reality" for ANY of this nonsense.
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

partlyscot wrote: ...I realize that while I DO find skirts much more comfortable, part of why I do it is to express something within myself...
...I admit, that large reason I started, and it still is a small part, is the thrill of the forbiden, the taboo if you will. But me wanting to do this doesn't mean I'm not a man, any more than my GF's wish to be a bike mechanic, a geek, and getting her hands greasy makes her any less of a woman....
Exactly my feelings. And I do not consider myself a crossdresser.

There is A) the pure logic of men wearing skirts because they are more comfortable, but there is another factor B) involving femininity to some degree, not necessarily to a large degree. Some of us wear skirts only by part A, some by B, and some by both.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Feminine, schmeninine. Its quite impossible for me to do ANYTHING "feminine" as I'm a guy!

With that said, if someone wants to call me "feminine", fine. Whatever...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I was wearing a knee length denim skirt and a woman's white tank top around the house this morning. I had to run down to the store so I asked the wife if the top looked too feminine. She said no she thought it was a men's undershirt. So I left it on. No mention of the skirt or the shirt while I was out.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have no problem with men wearing an overtly feminine look, in theory, but I do occasionally see a photo of a man in a skirt or dress that strikes me as ridiculous-looking. I am not sure why this is. It is often not even the most feminine look that causes me to shake my head. I don't consider myself condescending, but I just think certain looks work differently on different people, and perhaps it is hard for us to understand why others don't see our style choices through the lens of our own tastes. No doubt others regard my style choices as questionable or even absurd.

I know I could never pull off a very feminine look successfully, I.e. to my own standards, if for no other reason than being 6' 2" tall and 250+/- lbs, (though now reducing my mass steadily). My body type is definitely unfeminine. Still, though, I paint my toenails, shave my legs, occasionally wear artisanal wrist and ankle jewelry. Why should anyone have to analyze themselves for choosing to express themselves differently from the norm? Especially when that expression is relatively benign. Still, I can't help wondering why I am the way I am... Thank you all for your support, and know that you have mine.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

While I have worn wear women's skirts and pants and tops, I find that women's shirts just don't work for me.
They are simply cut for a different body shape and don't work on my overweight mans body so I have given up on them.
So I have paired down my women's wear wardrobe to a few skirts and pants that I like the way they look and feel.
Now about the shoes...
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

i believe i identify fully with you. i am a crosdresser in private. all areas of female clothing from undies to dresses. but i am a male and dont want to pass as a woman. i judt like thr optiod women have and love the fit. look, and feel of some pf their clothing, just the fact that they can do so much cool art on their fingernails is very intriguing to me. i am including a pic in my pink skirt. i also have on a bra and a lacy tank. no way will i ever look remotely feminine in it. and i want to stay like that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazyman

Post by Crazyman »

There is a difference between cross dressing and transvestitism. A transvestite wants to pass himself off as a woman, whereas a cross dresser does not, just like all the other people on this site. An extreme of that would be Conchita Wurst, where the guy has a great looking and feminine body, plus a good taste in clothes, but that full beard....ugh.
For me personally, there was never any dilemma as to which specific feminine articles of clothing I liked. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I have a feminine looking face, hands, and feet so I figured if God gave me these gifts, then I'll just run with that. Plus, I look a LOT younger than I really am.
That's why I never ever had a beard or a mustache, and ever since I can remember have had long nails and shoulder-length hair. So it was never seen by myself or anyone else as anything but natural for me to start wearing ladies' dress sandals during the summer to show that off as well. And it really does look better if you (a) exfoliate every time you shower and (b) use clear nail polish, even if you just use a base coat. And another thing I can't emphasise enough: shave.
If you're reading this and you're relatively young, I'd suggest starting to shave your whole body ASAP because the older you are, the longer it takes for the skin to get used to being shaved. I started whole-body shaving when I was 23 and even at that young age, I had massive razor burn over all my arms and legs. The first day afterwards it was always OK, but then it just looked horrible, to the point where even in the hottest summers, I was wearing long pants and a long shirt. But then after about a year or so it cleared up, and hasn't returned ever since. In regards to shaving: do NOT use an epilady or any other epilator. Trust me. Why do you think that everytime you see one of these on eBay it always says "used only once." Fact of the matter is that by ripping out the hairs, you create the possibility of getting them ingrown. I used to use epilady on the most difficult parts to shave, namely behind the knees, and the back of the thighs, and that's where I still get ingrown hairs, where I have to have my girlfriend free them using a needle, and then shave it.
But getting back to the whole cross dressing thing. Like most of the guys on this forum I have never tried to pass myself off as anything but a guy, and I wouldn't want to be anything but a guy. I'd never ever think about getting like a sex-change operation or taking hormones. I look pretty androgynous as it is, and fashion freedom is really important for me. Women have it, and now it's up to us to claim the same for ourselves. And that applies not just to fashion, but everything else. Like I mentioned in the section on sewing: I can sew pretty well; but I can also MIG weld pretty well. I can cook an excellent Italian meal, and I can also cut my own firewood. I can do my own French-style manicure, as well as rebuild an engine. Which also explains why I have like 2 pairs of gloves everywhere you look :D
The key here is balance between your male and female aspects. I don't know any guy who has TWO Y chromosomes. The fact that even in this day and age people consider us a bit unconventional shows that we still have a ways to go. I don't usually go out dressed 100% en femme, usually I do something like 60/40 or 40/60.
That's also why I chose to join this forum, because even though skirts aren't EXACTLY my thing, I think the people here are on a higher level than a lot of similar websites. Also, I have never come across a site that only caters to guys who wear women's shoes and handbags, and who love doing their nails up French style, and their hair.
I also appreciate the fact that this is not a site about sexuality. It's about fashion, and in my opinion, fashion has really nothing to do with that. How often do I run into websites that treat this in the same current as sexuality, or even morality. Fashion choices are just what you look like on the outside. You honestly think that God will judge you based on what you wore? Don't make me laugh. Look at it this way: I grew up in the 1960s and back then we wore different styles of clothing, and if you were to go out dressed like that today, some people might think that's unusual as well. But back then pretty much anything went in terms of fashion, and I can honestly say that that was the best time to be growing up, and to this day, I've found that the most open-minded people are either from my generation, or the young people around 20 years old today. In fact, all my friends are either as old as I am, or around 20-25.
Since I was talking about the 60s: if you want to experience the 60s firsthand, just go to a Rainbow Gathering. I've been to 2 so far and it's a life-changing experience and I highly recommend it. It's not just a thing for old hippies like me, because you see a lot of the gen-X ers there, and a lot of them come up and ask me where I got my shoes and I'd be like all kinds of places: eBay, Amazon, Molotok, dumpster, or every now and then a physical shoe store. I have the advantage in that I have a size 42-43 foot which is at the upper scale for women's shoes and not difficult to come by. In fact you could say I have a backlog of shoes, and every time I feel like switching styles I open up one of about 8 boxes I have and it's like Christmas.
Being a professional garbage picker I can tell you I come across some really good stuff, and last month I found a petticoat I thought was really cute with my Dirndel dress, but after taking a couple of pictures I felt it really was cute under the skirt but it was just way too feminine for my style, which would be more along the lines of hybrid dressing. Every person has their own style. It's like my girlfriend who wears white everything. That's the most un-practical colour there is, and if, for example I accidentally get one tiny cigarette ash on her she goes ballistic. But that's her style, and I accept that just as she accepts mine.
The key word here is acceptance, and you'd be surprised to find out how many people either don't care, or who embrace my style openly. The key word is also self-acceptance. I never had to "come out" to anyone about this, but there was that one moment in time when I was about 14, and my mom had been in my room. Just as I was about to go out she said "so, do you want to talk about THIS?" and whipped out two of my nail polishes. I was a little uncomfortable talking about it, but I told her what the deal was, and as the conversation went on I got more confident, and she was less and less distraught. By the time I walked out of the house I felt like John Wayne. I could do anything. And I did.
My girlfriend is really into astrology and always brags about how her sign (Libra) is the only non-living sign of the zodiac, and it was only after parousing this website that I actually realised that Virgo (my sign) is the only female sign of the zodiac. And I match the profile for a Virgo to a T (a T-strap sandal?). I also read about the finger length test thing and found out that by all accounts I should have been born gay. But I'm not, even though a lot of people ask me about that. No, I have a somewhat female brain in that I have way too much empathy in me.
I think I just coined a new term for how I dress: how about SALAD Dressing?

I love you all.
Last edited by Crazyman on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I disagree with your comment that shaving taking lots of time to get used to. I didn't start doing extensive body shaving until I hit my 50's. Took about 2-3 weeks before it became fairly routine.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I'll be attending a female impersonator show tonight as part of our local gay pride week. There will be various LBGT groups represented. I will also be representing as a straight male in a skirt.
A long-haired, bearded, old hippie in a tee shirt, sandals, and a skirt, I will also have my wife of 39 years by my side. No mistaking my gender or sexual preference.
I'm attending the event to show my support for all concerned and to enjoy a fun, bawdy, evening out in a skirt.