Casual Crossdressing

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FISHINGRODIE

Re: Casual Crossdressing

Post by FISHINGRODIE »

Pop socks in the uk are calf length self supporting stockings. On the packet some are marketed as unisex.
If i buy myself a skirt, i am buying a man a skirt, so is it a mans skirt ,

so am i cross dressing if i wear unisex pop socks and a man's skirt ?

Are groups of females correct in saying "why are you wearing girls clothes ? "

A police officer said to me "why are you wearing a skirt ? "

My reply was " because i like wearing skirts, there is no law against wearing a skirt "

The police responce was " you are quite correct sir "

Am i cross because jo public asks me daft questions ?

Or am i a cross dresser because people consider i am wearing clothes which jo public would normally find in a ladies

Wordrobe ?

I am quite happy with the comment "look, a man in a skirt"
rodie
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I've not noticed society getting obsessed with the word unbifurcated. Beyond these forums, few people have ever encountered the word, I imagine (my spell-checker still does not recognize it!).
But I like the word, as it implies release from the restriction of closed garments, an opening up, a breaking down of prison walls.

Martin
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

The "Male Un-bifurcated Garment" term got assembled around here about a dozen years ago to grease the skids, so to speak. It was meant to provide a general name for the skirt/kilt/gown/robe/[you get the idea] that hadn't been attached to some ethnic or gender variant stereotype.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It's a bit of a mouthful, though, isn't it. I bet most people wouldn't understand it. "Skirt" is so much better.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:It's a bit of a mouthful, though, isn't it. I bet most people wouldn't understand it. "Skirt" is so much better.
I completely concur with SkirtyScot in this regard. It sounds forced, and in sounding that way leads the listener to believe that we (as "skirtsmen") are ashamed of our attire.

Which works better in an exchange?
A: "What's that you're wearing?"
B: "It's a male unbifurcated garment."
A: "Huh?"
-- or --
A: "What's that you're wearing?"
B: "It's a skirt. Why?"
A: "Oh. That's different."
See what I mean?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

"Unfurcated" is a useful term, because it can describe garments that hang from the shoulders, as well as from the waist.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Also, "Male Unbifurcated Garment" can't be used accurately to describe a woman's skirt; or does a man wearing a women's skirt make it male? I see it as applying to kilts, either traditional or modern, and as a term known only to skirters (skirtsmen? skirtonians?) and followers of the movement. I use the term (MUG or unbifurcated) only in later stages of a long conversation.

There is no good reason to avoid simply using the word "skirt"! And we're not chatting in the Maleunbifurcatedgarmentcafe or the Mugcafe.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Dare I say it....
The skirt cafe is a place where the gents are encouraged to bring their own MUG.
Lawrence de Grande

Post by Lawrence de Grande »

I have long thought of myself as a crossdresser because I do like wearing feminine clothing but lately I've become more focused on just skirts. There is no way I can appear feminine so I go as a man in a skirt. I like the term "casual crossdresser" though. Lately I've been wearing skirts more and more in public. They are so much more comfortable the pants/jeans/shorts. I never have paid much attention to fashion rules... :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

A new section has been added, "The Front Lines."
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The site has a new designation-fashionfreestyler.com
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Grok wrote:The site has a new designation: fashionfreestyler.com
I applaud the change of name. The blog entry about the name change states the issues very well.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
CasualCrossdresser

Post by CasualCrossdresser »

skirtingtheissue wrote:
Grok wrote:The site has a new designation: fashionfreestyler.com
I applaud the change of name. The blog entry about the name change states the issues very well.
Thanks. Sometimes we have to roll with change.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

skirtingtheissue wrote: There is no good reason to avoid simply using the word "skirt"! And we're not chatting in the Maleunbifurcatedgarmentcafe or the Mugcafe.
You could call a skirt for a man a "mirt". :lol: After all, there are the following words: Guyliner (eyeliner), manty hose (panty hose), murse (purse), moobs (boobs). And yes I came up with "mra" (bra) for the dude with moobs. Good old masculine anxiety.

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We have had this discussion in another thread and I think that we concluded that a skirt was a skirt and tights were tights and man-designations were a bad idea. Things are what they are and most are unisex. Anyway that this is not a site for cross-dressers has also been pointed out on other threads. So, please don't let us go there again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.