Research in skirts for men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Research in skirts for men

Post by GerdG »

Hi Marcel, I should be glad to help you. As you may notice I have changed the order of the questions a little bit, finding the following a little more workable for me:

- Why are you wearing skirts? (as a fashion statement, comfort, crossdressing/transgender etc etc?)
Comfort, versatility, variety/diversification/difference - and the difference it makes (fashion statement) plus perhaps a slight bit of provocation: Why must men dress so uninspiring? And then, of course, the way it looks.

- What kinds of skirts are you wearing and why?
When looking into my closet I have approximately the following distribution of skirts:
Traditional kilts 70%; modern kilts 20%; other skirts = from the women’s department 10%, being mini tartan kilts plus a few short denim skirts.
When it comes to wearing of them it is a little bit different, however, being about this:
Traditional kilts 90%; modern kilts 9%; other skirts 1%.

- How does it feel to wear a skirt?
Much more comfortable, to my opinion, it is. Well, actually I never liked having anything around my knees. Since my childhood I accordingly would wear shorts wherever possible.
Skirts are much more in accordance with the manly anatomy than are any kind of trousers. And that feels.
Speaking of kilts it may be relevant to say that underwear feels much less restricting under a kilt than under trousers, also adding to the feeling of comfort.

- Do you have a partner? If so, how does he or she reacts when you wear a skirt?
I’m most happily married and my wife has nothing against me wearing kilts. She is less happy with me wearing regular skirts.

- How do people on the street react when you wear a skirt?
In general people are extremely polite and tolerant, at least where I live. I wear a kilt practically every day, and everywhere. The neighbours have years ago got accustomed to see me in a kilt, and other people very seldom react at all. If they do, comments are positive; with traditional kilts more than with modern ones.

- Describe the perfect skirt for men... (material, length, details etc)
The fabric should be rather coarse, like denim or cotton. Light weight fabrics look femme. A "manly" color (blue, black, grey, olive, khaki etc.) should be preferable. Also the skirt should not have too many details meant only for decoration.
Pockets are fine, and belt loops. If the skirt is closed a fly should be on the front, like on jeans. Also wrap skirts may be good, but they seem to be seldom these days, except as mini-kilts.
The length of a skirt can always be discussed. I should suggest just above the knee (like a kilt) or shorter. If too short you'll have problems when sitting and with decency. Due to anatomy a man's skirt cannot possible be as short as that of a woman.
A wide skirt (A-line, wrap and/or pleated) is much more comfortable than is a pencil or otherwise narrow closed skirt.

+ How old are you? Where are you from? Are you gay, straight, bi-sexual or transgender?
I’m 68, Danish, 100% straight.

One major problem with men in skirts are the prejudices, the wearer must be gay, a transvestite, transsexual etc. You indicate it yourself, by asking.

Of course, all men, gay or hetero, have the same right to wear a kilt or a skirt, and it is my impression that kilt and skirt wearers, regarding sexual preference equal the society as such, but perhaps gay men are a little more brave when it comes to their appearance than are hetero, causing nothing but a minor overrepresentation, however.
Therefore the gay prejudice is wrong - I suppose - but nevertheless a problem, because most people just don’t want to be labeled things they are not, be it in respect of sexual orientation or other things in life. As an example, I don’t like being labeled a Scot, just because I wear a kilt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Man in a skirt

Post by Man in a skirt »

Howdy Marcel! I'll answer them as you gave 'em:

Why are you wearing skirts? Because they are comfortable!

- How does it feel to wear a skirt? FREEDOM!!!!

- Do you have a partner? Yes-my wife. If so, how does he or she reacts when you wear a skirt? Not very well. She lets me wear them around the house, but will not be seen with me in public. She like to bring up me "cross dressing" a lot... which leads to arguments...

- How do people on the street react when you wear a skirt? usually favorably- I get alot more positive comments than negative ones.

- What kind of skirts are you wearing and why? Long, tiered skirts. I like them long- I haven't worn shorts (pants) in years, so wearing short skirts just isn't my thing.

- Describe the perfect skirt for men... Denim, or other heavy duty fabric. POCKETS!! POCKETS! POCKETS!!! we dont carry purses, and still need a place for wallet, keys, phone, etc... (belt loops are also very handy!) Keep any seams well away from the crotch area- kind of counter productive for the "free hanging" goods to be chaffing when half the reason for wearing skirts if comfort in those areas.

+ How old are you? 30 Where are you from? Washington State, USA. Are you gay, straight, bi-sexual or transgender? Straight as they come!! (but not according to my wife!)

+ Could you add a picture of you in your nicest skirt? umm... sorry, the only one I have is of me in a kilt (which I love, and wear publicly ALL the time.) and it was taken at a political rally... and caused a stink-storm... so I apologize, but I wont post it again....

Hope that helps!! We need AFFORDABLE skirts we can buy in the mens department to shush the "crossdressing" accusations!!!!!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I would like to add that I think the outfit in the third picture Marcel posted was very smart -- and "masculine" (!) -- though personally I would not want one side of my skirt dangling lower than the other. A clear horizontal edge right across the knees would have been still smarter.
green skirt.JPG
Skirt I made from a pair of trousers. Very deep box peats back and front. Winter length.

Martin (France & Spain, very old, married and straightish)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

- Why are you wearing skirts? ( as a fashion statement, comfort, crossdressing/transgender etc etc?)

Because they are practical, comfortable, and I like them.

- How does it feel to wear a skirt?

To quote Wallace: FREEDOM!

- Do you have a partner? If so, how does he or she reacts when you wear a skirt?

I have a very Scottish wife (several decades now) and she has no more problem with my skirts than she does with my kilts. Which is to say, none.

- How do people on the street react when you wear a skirt?

A few double takes, and the occasional innocent but mouthy kid. But I have never been seriously hassled.

- What kind of skirts are you wearing and why?

Nice as kilts are, they are not practical for much beyond a peacock display. I like light weight denim or cotton skirts, pleated, gored, or circle, and somewhere around my knees.

- Describe the perfect skirt for men... ( material, length, details etc)

The perfect skirt for a man is whatever the man is most happy in.

+ How old are you? Where are you from? Are you gay, straight, bi-sexual or transgender?

65. Born in Ontario, but a US citizen since 1958. Straight as it gets.

+ Could you add a picture of you in your nicest skirt?

See the thread: http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 69&t=14056

Thanks a lot for helping me out

You're welcome, and good luck!
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

The reason I wear skirts is that, besides being the most comfortable and versatile things, is that I think they suit, and even enhance, my "style". (Whatever that may be!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Marcel - a bit belated but I hope helpful to you. Here are the answers to your questions:-

Why are you wearing skirts? ( as a fashion statement, comfort, crossdressing/transgender etc etc?)

For the first few times out skirted there was a heightened excitement about wearing something in public that “you shouldn’t” but comfort is the main reason now.

How does it feel to wear a skirt?

Fee, relaxed and as I said above, comfortable

Do you have a partner? If so, how does he or she reacts when you wear a skirt?

I do have a partner (wife). She reacts very strongly about me wearing a skirt, even in the house, and not in a pleasant way at all. She is OK with kilts but only on “special occasions”. She just about accepts sarongs on holiday beaches but not in holiday towns/villages

How do people on the street react when you wear a skirt?

Virtually no reaction apart from that second glance. An occasional wolf whistle from some boorish lads (early 20’s). A very occasional open-mouthed stare. On the plus side, there have been a few positive comments from women (“Wow! Cool!”, “Looking good”, “you’ve got better legs than me for a skirt” etc) and on one occasion from a man who asked me where I bought my skirt and seemed keen on getting one for himself. Shop assistants seem to have more pleasant smiles and are more helpful than when trousered.

What kind of skirts are you wearing and why?

Other than a tartan kilt, I wear denim skirts (above knee-length and mini), cargo skirts (generally khaki or black). A denim mini-skirt in the summer is really cool and very comfortable rather than shorts. I recently bought a Utilitikilt which is beige in colour and have worn that a few times. To me it looks really good whenI wear it.

Describe the perfect skirt for men... ( material, length, details etc)

There can't be any "perfect skirt" as everyone has different tastes. Gor me it is denim or cotton, and for length, above yhe knee to mini (my own mini is 14” long)

How old are you? Where are you from? Are you gay, straight, bi-sexual or transgender?

Age 58 and straight

Could you add a picture of you in your nicest skirt?

There are pictures elsewhere on this forum - but here is one I like. (Photo now added below 29/03/13)

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

marcelkropfl wrote:Why are you wearing skirts?
Firstly, it's fashion statement as I do have some low level cross-dressing tendencies.
Secondly, I find unbifurcated garments very comfortable.
marcelkropfl wrote:How does it feel to wear a skirt?
Very satisfying.
marcelkropfl wrote:Do you have a partner? If so, how does he or she reacts when you wear a skirt?
Married with young children. She doesn't like it but tolerates it when we are at home alone. Definitely a no no around the kids.
marcelkropfl wrote:How do people on the street react when you wear a skirt?
The odd raised eyebrow, but generally quite the non event. Female shop assistants are quite often very positive, complimentary and chatty.
marcelkropfl wrote:What kind of skirts are you wearing and why?
Always just above the knee length, generally dark solid colours and heavier material. I like A line design, or skits with a bit of a flare that gives off a nice shape.
marcelkropfl wrote:Describe the perfect skirt for men... ( material, length, details etc)
That's hard because it's so subjective and we all have our preferences, but see the answer to what type of skirts I wear as to my perfect skirt
marcelkropfl wrote:How old are you? Where are you from? Are you gay, straight, bi-sexual or transgender?
46, Brisbane Australia, straight.

Pics can be seen in the pics section "A few of my favourite outfits", a few different skirts and a dress.

http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 79#p118092
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Hazy wrote:
marcelkropfl wrote:Do you have a partner? If so, how does he or she reacts when you wear a skirt?
Married with young children. She doesn't like it but tolerates it when we are at home alone. Definitely a no no around the kids.
This is sad. I have 3 boys 8,6,5 and they own and wear thier own kilts of my design.

[Edited to correct quotation format - Ian]
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Thanks for ignoring my post.
Just goes to show male skirts are passe!
jeremiahdargan

Post by jeremiahdargan »

8) Why are you wearing skirts? ( as a fashion statement, comfort, crossdressing/transgender etc etc?) Fashion/Comfort

- How does it feel to wear a skirt? I love it. First experience was a kilt in scotland.

- Do you have a partner? If so, how does he or she reacts when you wear a skirt? Yes I am married Some of the skirts she does not like. She was hostile about them. I have made my own from jeans and she likes these , thinks I should go into business with then. Recycled jeans. I have some fashion kilts (skilt London)

- How do people on the street react when you wear a skirt? I turn heads . Some females smile and give a nod of approval, Some look twice at the denim skirts, looking forward to the summer. The freedom of wearing the skirt in public.

- What kind of skirts are you wearing and why? Fashion kilts. Long skirts, black denim, a macabre hiking skirt long(very comfortable) My own denim made from jeans myself. Comfort and freedom, liberating, :D

- Describe the perfect skirt for men... ( material, length, details etc) For the man to feel happy in the skirt he should get someone to make it from an old pair of his jeans It then becomes a man SKIRT. Or get a fashion kilt there are lots of lovely ones out there. A lot of what you see on line are very expensive and they dont need to be. I have no problem with material and colour. However some are very diffenite girley and that is not me.

+ How old are you? Where are you from? Are you gay, straight, bi-sexual or transgender? I am 62, I am Irish and live in a small town in the south of Ireland. I am hetrosexual , not gay, I dont think that you would find homosexuals wearing the skirt. I have been married to the same woman forthy years this year.

+ Could you add a picture of you in your nicest skirt? Unable to add an attachment.
Jean-Luc

Post by Jean-Luc »

Gray

Post by Gray »

janrok wrote:In the meantime I sent Marcel a private message, just for curiosity.
I know curiosity killed the cat but I am not a cat...
And besides, "...satisfaction brought him back."
marcelkropfl

Post by marcelkropfl »

Hey guys, sorry for being away for so long,
busy times...

Thank you so much for the nice replies, i am about to write a small essay now about skirts.

Attached you can see the two looks with skirts i showed on the show

thank you guys!

Cheers, Marcel

Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Marcel, thank you for staying in touch. My most trenchant criticism of the fashions shown is that I much prefer the shirts etc. to be tucked in neatly. Bear in mind however that I am an old bloke with some military heritage, which means I don't like to leave the house without a sharp crease on shirt sleeves and trousers when worn.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I would agree with GerdG-oddly enough, underwear without the trousers...does feel less constrictiong.