Men's Fashion at the Oscars (Oxymoron)

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Men's Fashion at the Oscars (Oxymoron)

Post by jamie001 »

The title of this thread is the best oxymoron ever! I wonder if any of the men at the Oscars were having any of the following conversations:

1. Dude, do you realize that we look exactly the same? We look like clones of each other with no originality or self expression! We are just black and white even though high-definition television of today can display four billion different shades of color. Why the heck are we wearing this drab black and white crap?

2. Dude, why are you wearing almost exactly the same clothing that I'm wearing? Where the Hell is your individuality?

3. Dude, do you realize that look like a flock of fracking Penguins in these black and white monkey suits?

4. Dude, why are all of the women wearing beautiful colors while we are wearing these stupid penguin suits? Why are we wearing this crap?

The only males that stepped out of the male fashion prison and dared to show any individuality were Samuel L. Jackson with the maroon jacket and William Shatner as Captian James T. Kirk in his bright red Starfleet Uniform. Also congratulations to one male that wore a kilt.

In formal situations there is no way to display any individuality. Male formal fashion is a joke yet most males don't realize that they are the victims of the joke.

To further illustrate my point, after the Oscars there are many discussions regarding women's fashion. There are never any discussions about male fashion because all of the men in a formal situation appear essentially the same. One hosts of an Oscar Fashion Show made a comment that the men differentiated themselves this year with beards. It is really unbelievable that the only differentiation that is available to men is facial hair!

If the Oscars had been held during the 1700's, men would have been dressed in many colors, lace, and high-heels and we would have seen a lot of individuality. It is extremelyunfortunate that men's fashion as devolved to the current state where we have colorless cookie-cutter clones that fit nicely into the fashion prison that has been created for men. :(
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Men's Fashion at the Oscars (Oxymoron)

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote:[...] To further illustrate my point, after the Oscars there are many discussions regarding women's fashion. There are never any discussions about male fashion because all of the men in a formal situation appear essentially the same. One hosts of an Oscar Fashion Show made a comment that the men differentiated themselves this year with beards. It is really unbelievable that the only differentiation that is available to men is facial hair!
I didn't bother to watch the Oscars as they came on past my bedtime (I get up early) but completely agree about the "penguin look". I wasn't aware of Shatner and his "Starfleet uniform", but that's a good start for change (red is a really good colour on most guys so long as skin-tone allows). The guy in the kilt may have been "in costume" or not depending on who one listens to, but was a good statement as well. Perhaps there is hope.
If the Oscars had been held during the 1700's, men would have been dressed in many colors, lace, and high-heels and we would have seen a lot of individuality. It is extremelyunfortunate that men's fashion as devolved to the current state where we have colorless cookie-cutter clones that fit nicely into the fashion prison that has been created for men. :(
Unfortunately, we're in the second decade of the 21st Century, although if one wants to "have a go at it" we might as well be in the mid 1980s. So, the "norms" of the 18th Century really don't apply to guys today, unless the guy in question is really gutsy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!