"Cage of Freedom"

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

"Cage of Freedom"

Post by crfriend »

I'm sitting here at the moment listening to the Girogio Moroder soundtrack to Fritz Lang's immortal film Metropolis and just made a tangential (to the movie) link to guys wearing skirted garments. Cage of Freedom makes repeated reference to "shrinking boxes") to where "every wall now touches the skin" and how we go into the jail -- willingly -- in the first place. It's a good listen, and Jon Anderson nails the piece. YouTube (it's Google after all) for it.

We've often commented on the shrinking "box" that guys are allowed to occupy -- and not just in a fashion/style sense -- to the point where if we're not ultra-violent hyper-masculine little droogies we're less than men. Too, we've often commented that we do it to ourselves -- willingly, even ("we swallowed the key"). What of reason? Of rational thought? Of, ultimately, humanity?

The score that Lang used for Metropolis I feel is better than the "updated" one , but both still stand on their own merits. One fun bit -- look up the name of the cinematographer for Metropolis; it caused me some mirth in my younger days and made me question my own path, just for a moment, because I do have the "cameraman's eye" even now.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Cage of Freedom"

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:We've often commented on the shrinking "box" that guys are allowed to occupy -- and not just in a fashion/style sense -- to the point where if we're not ultra-violent hyper-masculine little droogies we're less than men.
Then again, men are also encouraged (and not just by feminists) to be more loving, more compassionate, and more participating family members. We're encouraged to get in touch with our feminine sides. It's quite a dilemma.
Last edited by Caultron on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

"Sheeple" has been used to define people who unquestioningly accept, and meekly obey, society's dictums. This is also applicable to the "Dedicated follower of Fashion" (remember the song?) As an example, using real sheep, probably about twenty years ago, I saw a mob of sheep walking around a farm dam. As they strung out, the leaders saw the tail end and started to run to catch up, soon they were all running at full gallop! Isn't that a good metaphor for the human condition?
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sarongman wrote:"Sheeple" has been used to define people who unquestioningly accept, and meekly obey, society's dictums. This is also applicable to the "Dedicated follower of Fashion" (remember the song?) As an example, using real sheep, probably about twenty years ago, I saw a mob of sheep walking around a farm dam. As they strung out, the leaders saw the tail end and started to run to catch up, soon they were all running at full gallop! Isn't that a good metaphor for the human condition?
We are individuals as well as social animals. Another dilemma.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

"Human condition" I like that
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
thkufgiris

Post by thkufgiris »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good post. Humans are complex creatures.